SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
I have a SDS100 and was working great until the last firmware update. I have main version 1.05.00, sub version 1.01.05 serial 38326088000919-0F6 installed and now scanner doesn't work any longer. Even when scanning nothing and display is blank showing nothing is being scanned; I hear a "crunch, crunch, crunch" rhythmic sound. I was working fine before when I firmware was updated. Any idea how to fix it now that it is broken. This is a desk scanner and has never been taken out of my house and received no abuse. I have restored it and still doesn't the absolute same thing.

troymail

Silent Key
I have a SDS100 and was working great until the last firmware update. I have main version 1.05.00, sub version 1.01.05 serial 38326088000919-0F6 installed and now scanner doesn't work any longer. Even when scanning nothing and display is blank showing nothing is being scanned; I hear a "crunch, crunch, crunch" rhythmic sound. I was working fine before when I firmware was updated. Any idea how to fix it now that it is broken. This is a desk scanner and has never been taken out of my house and received no abuse. I have restored it and still doesn't the absolute same thing.

Sounds similar to other reported failures ("crunch" noise).... Looks like it is in need of a trip back to Uniden...

https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/374228-went-deaf.html

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Damn, the more of these "my SDS100 stopped working" threads I read, the more I cross my fingers and pray every time I turn mine on.

o_O

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
I spoke with Uniden and they said I am the first they have heard of that has had this problem and they recommend that anyone else having the same issue needs to call them at 800-297-1023 Select Option 2 then again option 2 when prompted and explain your problem. The tech talked me thru a few things and still have the same issues. He recommended waiting for his Supervisor to email me but If I want send it in now. These were my only 2 options was wait or send in.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
What I feel from my experience it is a corrupt firmware update or like he said I could have updated it with a 436 as the target. I don't think I did but I am only human.

troymail

Silent Key
It's under warranty... I'd send it in with a very clear description of how well it worked (or not) and then what changed.... be as complete and clear as possible.

But... that's really your decision...

seth21w

What was the firmware before you updated and did you do the update through sentinel or did you do the beta, and copy the firmware file into the sds drive? I find it hard to believe the firmware could cause this.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
What I feel from my experience it is a corrupt firmware update or like he said I could have updated it with a 436 as the target. I don't think I did but I am only human.

I believe that UpMan has stated several times that it is NOT possible to install a firmware (ex. for the 436) into a 536 or SDS100 radio.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is also not possible to have a "bad firmware update." Checksum would fail and the update would never be applied.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Nothing about a f/w update would cause what is described. It is likely that whatever happened coincidentally happened around the time an update was made. In any event, it is a repair issue.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
either way that sucker is in Texas now. When it comes back all dispatches with be with an awesome Texas twang accent.... as long as it works.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
It's under warranty... I'd send it in with a very clear description of how well it worked (or not) and then what changed.... be as complete and clear as possible.

But... that's really your decision...

This. By doing so it allows us to track an issue. and see if there is a root cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.