Problem with a SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their SDS scanners it looks like a few LEDs may be dead behind the keypad I was just wondering if that falls under the Uniden warranty on these radios also the VHF and UHF performance is dismal. I was just wondering if this warrants a trip to back to Uniden for repairs.

Thanks,
Bob

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
It would fall under warranty. If you would like, you should send it in for repair.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Wanyne, I may give you a call. Did you call them or do you have a email contact for the repair dept I have two that are horrible on VHF and UHF and would like to get them fixed. Both of mine are from the first batch sent out to customers. I can live with out for a while as along as they come back in working order. Please let me know who to contact at Uniden to get them fixed I would love to have them home out early next week as well so I cam get them back hopefully for Halloween and the holiday season. Also what the best time to give you a ring if you want to discuss it ?

Thanks,
Bob

Nasby

Please share what you find out with Uniden and the warrant repair.
Many of us have first run models with poor VHF reception.
Thanks!!

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
MY buddy sent his back for poor vhf and uhf. they replaced q1 q 2 and it works good now vhf and uhf 700 and 800 is great. light on keypad is the same on mine. you can call me at 867-5309. name is wayne sending mine back next monday

So what is q1 and q2 ?

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Subscribed as well; what was the reception issues with VHF/UHF; I have a first run unit as well that's basically useless for VHF/UHF; the bleed over and phantom frequencies and images make it useless.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
What’s your serial number? Mine is 603 or 604. Not having keypad light issues or vhf issues since my yet rather archaic area still has most of its frequencies around the 144 band.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber

b325e45c573f3e63549c603c5466586a.jpg

Here’s my backlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their SDS scanners it looks like a few LEDs may be dead behind the keypad I was just wondering if that falls under the Uniden warranty on these radios also the VHF and UHF performance is dismal. I was just wondering if this warrants a trip to back to Uniden for repairs.

Thanks,
Bob

Have you gone into Settings>Display options> Backlight settings> Keyboard Enable.??

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Yes its just very dim, I am very familiar with how to operate my radio. The problems I am seeing have to be a manufacturer defect. That's the only way I can explain it at this point.

Hit_Factor

Yes its just very dim, I am very familiar with how to operate my radio. The problems I am seeing have to be a manufacturer defect. That's the only way I can explain it at this point.

I think it's a design defect, both of my radios are the same. Subtle difference, I know.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
It would fall under warranty. If you would like, you should send it in for repair.

I think this sums things up for this thread. If it's defective, it will be replaced. If the light is dimming, it will be fixed. If you damaged anything as a result of an attempted modification...well, that's between you and Uniden. We really can't so much here except shake our heads and say "yep, not my problem". It's possible their are bad units..just like bad cars, TV's etc. Report back as to what was fixed and how the scanner is performing post-repair.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I don't modify my scanners, especially not ones I paid 650 dollars for.

Since this scanner has gone public, I've seen mention of GPS being added by "opening the unit", I've seen non-SMA antennas being retrofitted to the scanner all in the desperate attempt to correct what could have possibly been a defective unit from the beginning. This is not meant directly at you Bob, but if I scan these forums and facebook groups, I can find threads and posts about modifications. I just read about a unit returned and q1 and q2 transistors were replaced and the scanner was performing better. The scanner is under a 1 year warranty unless it was modified in some way which voids the warranty. That's between the owner and Uniden as to whether they are charged for the repair or not. You and I have traveled the same roads, and your reports of poor performance directly contradict my reports of excellent performance. After a few firmware upgrades, the analog reception has greatly improved on mine but not yours. Would this be an issue with the q1/q2 transisitors on your units being defective...we don't know? We both have years of experience in this hobby, and my suggestion is as the poster said to send the units in as they are under warranty. I'd really like to see the results of the repairs by those who send them back.

Status
Not open for further replies.