Just got my BCD536HP must be old stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saboken

Premium Subscriber
I just received my New 536 and was surprised how old the firmware was 1.09.02 I did upgrade it sucesfully guess it was just old stock??

Attachments

• 2018-11-05-21-58-36.jpg
    2018-11-05-21-58-36.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 899

Tramagod

I just received my New 536 and was surprised how old the firmware was 1.09.02 I did upgrade it sucesfully guess it was just old stock??

Not necessarily, that may have been the current version at the time it was boxed and shelved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saboken

Premium Subscriber
Any potential issues with old stock?

I posted a general statement about this (in another area) but am asking a question here I just got my 536 today and the firmware was really old I think 2015! I know the 536 had a few issues when it was first released do I have to look for any issues like with the RTC since it's so old? It had 1.09.02 on it out of the box.

K2RNI

536 is fine. Now with the 436 It'll have the poor receive issue due to internal noise that they had before Uniden secretely added some part to the corcuit board. Can't remember if it was a capacitor or what but it was shown on here or another forum that there was something dofferent when you take it apart and look at it. There was another thread here where someone mostly fixed it by putting copper foil inside the battery door. So just keep that in mind of you go for the handheld version too.

If you don't want old stock you can have it swapped or if the seller can't do that just get a refund and buy from anothrr retailer.

saboken

Premium Subscriber
It was sold by Amazon I was surprised they usually move products pretty fast I'll wait and see if it works ok for a few days so far it's working great just have to unlock the NXDN and MotoTrbo

saboken

Premium Subscriber
That's how I would see it! If it's got 3 year old firmware on it when it's packed by Uniden it's got to be old stock, I don't think they let products sit on the shelf for years not 3 years anyway when I looked at the FW revisions there were quite a few since this scanner was boxed up. I think it was Amazon that dug it out they don't have the most efficient system of rotating there inventory you should see some of the food items I got from them.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Ouch. I would seriously re think about a radio that has been known to have issues and hardware related problems in the past. Uniden is right on the brink of releasing a base unit soon. Not saying anything is wrong with the radio for being boxed for two years but what could happen shortly down the road. You just never know and why shred your money and flush it down the toilet.

Might just be best to ship it back and get your money back for now and buy a SDS-100 or just wait until the release of the base unit. That's my opinion and take it for what its worth.

saboken

Premium Subscriber
I have owned a 996 for a few years now and tried the 436 I didn't like it much the 536 seems to be a decent upgrade to my 996 but it's definitely not perfect! The SDS100 is just way out of line on price since you still have to.pay for the upgrades pushing it to almost $1000.00 I know these companies need to make money but Whistler if I remember didn't charge for the upgrades? Uniden makes all kinds of radios whistler is small in comparison to Uniden! I know some will defend Uniden but they way out of line on the pricing of the consumer equipment! I have worked in environments that built custom electronic hardware for Photo labs back In the 90s they charged a lot more than it cost but it was a Niche market and custom! These scanners are marked up 500% or more over the actual cost! The thing I really can't understand is why the old merchandise doesn't get marked down? My 996 is still selling for about what I paid almost 4 years ago! I would love the SDS100 Maybe in another lifetime.

ChrisABQ

There has been a ton of FW updates for the 436/536 line of scanners in the past year. It does not mean that the 536 is garbage/out of date/inferior, it has just gotten more toys to play with. The mobile version of the SDS100 is not even out yet, has not been tested and is bound to have the many same problems as the handheld. Update your FW and enjoy scanning.

Tramagod

There has been a ton of FW updates for the 436/536 line of scanners in the past year. It does not mean that the 536 is garbage/out of date/inferior, it has just gotten more toys to play with. The mobile version of the SDS100 is not even out yet, has not been tested and is bound to have the many same problems as the handheld. Update your FW and enjoy scanning.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ubbe

....The mobile version of the SDS100 is not even out yet, has not been tested and is bound to have the many same problems as the handheld....

I don't understand Unidens response to the SDS100 problems. Several FW version with different gain settings trying to handle different kinds of interference problem in different frequency bands. Make a user setting like the programmable search ranges but with gain settings and users will be able to finetune to his own enviroment. Make several stored personality settings for indoor, outdoor, car, etc that also include display settings. Also add adjustable bass and treble audio for analog and for digital mode and it would be a terrific scanner. It's all in the software so what's the problem? Fix it once and for all and be done with it.

/Ubbe

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I know these companies need to make money but Whistler if I remember didn't charge for the upgrades? Uniden makes all kinds of radios whistler is small in comparison to Uniden! I know some will defend Uniden but they way out of line on the pricing of the consumer equipment!.

I buy both Uniden and Whistler products, and I will continue to do so because they are the only kids on the block selling what I want to buy. I do not agree with Uniden charging for what Whistler includes in their scanners (DMR, NXDN) but that doesn't mean I will go on a verbal rampage campaign to diss them every chance I get. I will undoubtedly buy the latest and the greatest they come out with, and they rely on that loyalty. If I get ripped off totally by a company (can we say Butel, boys and girls) I will say my piece and never again buy from them. In the big picture, they don't care and they are not worth my anger and energy. I have gripes and complaints about Uniden and Whistler like any other consumer, but is a rant on an RR forum going to solve the problem? No. A polite and descriptive email sent directly to customer service will go a lot further than a vicious diatribe on a public posting.

Some companies do actually listen to their customers. Just sayin...

JD
kf4anc

mule1075

Feed Provider
I buy both Uniden and Whistler products, and I will continue to do so because they are the only kids on the block selling what I want to buy. I do not agree with Uniden charging for what Whistler includes in their scanners (DMR, NXDN) but that doesn't mean I will go on a verbal rampage campaign to diss them every chance I get. I will undoubtedly buy the latest and the greatest they come out with, and they rely on that loyalty. If I get ripped off totally by a company (can we say Butel, boys and girls) I will say my piece and never again buy from them. In the big picture, they don't care and they are not worth my anger and energy. I have gripes and complaints about Uniden and Whistler like any other consumer, but is a rant on an RR forum going to solve the problem? No. A polite and descriptive email sent directly to customer service will go a lot further than a vicious diatribe on a public posting.

Some companies do actually listen to their customers. Just sayin...

JD
kf4anc
Again you pay for upgrades because Uniden pays the royalties on DMR and NXDN. Whistler does not that is why Uniden's trunktrack those modes properly. Whistlers way around it works but on medium and large systems not so much in my experience.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Which would make it old stock so, Yes necessarily.

My 536HP purchased Dec 2016 had same firmware version. Also a year "6" serial number. So far no hardware problems. I wont be replacing it with an SDS any time soon.

Last edited:

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Uniden has a good user firmware update path with Sentinel. Its possible the firmware at the production level is infrequently updated if at all once the production process has been locked down. It can be a real pain to make changes in a production process, especially when a good known update process is available.

New 536 buyers could report their firmware version to establish if the above is true.

In your other thread 2016 was identified as a good year.:D

Enjoy the scanner and some of the upgrades like DMR might be a good addition.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.