Sds100 bcd436hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

altuser

I have both SDS100 and BCD436HP scanners, can I use the same charger or could that damage the scanner? I hate to have 2 cords laying around if they can both do the same thing.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yes you can. I use a 3A charger on my 436 and SDS100. There's nothing mysterious about the charging. It is just that: charging.

With sufficient amperage, you can both charge and listen to the SDS100. You can't do that with the 436.

altuser

Yes you can. I use a 3A charger on my 436 and SDS100. There's nothing mysterious about the charging. It is just that: charging.

With sufficient amperage, you can both charge and listen to the SDS100. You can't do that with the 436.

cool, thanks looks like the numbers are different on the chargers. both show 5v but one shows1A (436 charger) and the sds100 charger shows 2000mA. i did google that 2000 comes out to 2A. what charger should i use on what one?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
cool, thanks looks like the numbers are different on the chargers. both show 5v but one shows1A (436 charger) and the sds100 charger shows 2000mA. i did google that 2000 comes out to 2A. what charger should i use on what one?

You can use either charger on either radio, however, the charging time depends on the input amperage.

Use the 2A charger on the SDS100, it's a bigger battery and can use the additional amperage,

Now the bad news: Don't charge the 436 batteries in the radio. That scanner uses a timer. I think default is 14 hours. That has the potential to dramatically shorten the life of the battery. It will give you 14 hours of charge, regardless of how much you discharged the batteries. There are smart chargers designed for the batteries that will charge only what's needed. In addition, they will re-condition the batteries and sometimes even revive seeming dead ones. I use a Maha but there are others.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You can use either charger on either radio, however, the charging time depends on the input amperage.

Use the 2A charger on the SDS100, it's a bigger battery and can use the additional amperage,

Now the bad news: Don't charge the 436 batteries in the radio. That scanner uses a timer. I think default is 14 hours. That has the potential to dramatically shorten the life of the battery. It will give you 14 hours of charge, regardless of how much you discharged the batteries. There are smart chargers designed for the batteries that will charge only what's needed. In addition, they will re-condition the batteries and sometimes even revive seeming dead ones. I use a Maha but there are others.
I concur with that. One amp will handle the 436HP just fine.

For the SDS100, you need about an amp to run the scanner, and just about another amp if you want to charge the SDS100 at the same time as it is running. If you try to both run and charge with only one amp (1000ma), you'll get an error for insufficient current, and the charge while on external power setting will flip to off. You'd have to go into the settings menu and reset that if you connected a higher current source, and intended to both charge and scan.

For the 436HP, the charge time is set by entering the via the menu. Fourteen hours is the maximum. For some of the other Uniden scanners, you enter the battery capacity which then adjusts the charge time. However, the charge is only about 200ma, so as not to overheat the batteries. But, as KK4JUG noted, it is not a 'smart' charger. It only runs for the time set, regardless of the charge state of the batteries themselves. So a good external charger is a better choice. I have several charges and sets of batteries, so when one of the scanners that uses AA rechargeable batteries gets low, I change them out with a fresh set.

You can get a higher capacity charger, that has multiple ports. I have a couple that I use for multiple scanners (to run on external power). Anker is one reliable brand, and I've had success with the Amazon Basic series (their 'house' brand). The charger in my bedroom runs a 436HP, HP-2, either a 325P2 or TRX-1, and still has enough left to also run and charge my SDS100.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative

You can (and should) set the charge time to different times based on the storage capacity of your battery and if you run your batteries out before charging them, it is just fine on the batteries life.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You can (and should) set the charge time to different times based on the storage capacity of your battery and if you run your batteries out before charging them, it is just fine on the batteries life.

But if you don't run them out, you can do harm if you put the full timed charge on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.