BC8500XLT isn't backlit anymore. Replace bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommShrek

Anyone know how to go about fixing this? This radio used to be backlit but now it's not? Is there a way to replace the bulb?

OkRob

I looked into it once and basically came up with that it could not be fixed, even by the factory. I suppose if some major parts were replaced maybe, but I hit a dead-end on it, even after taking it apart. :shock:

- Rob

CommShrek

OkRob said:
I looked into it once and basically came up with that it could not be fixed, even by the factory. I suppose if some major parts were replaced maybe, but I hit a dead-end on it, even after taking it apart. :shock:

- Rob

I figured it can't hurt to ask. Maybe we can get a replacement sometime in the future. Later.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
While were on the subject of backlights, anyone know how to replace the backlights on a 895xlt? Uniden wants $50 to do it

KenLayton

Anyone know how to go about fixing this? This radio used to be backlit but now it's not? Is there a way to replace the bulb?

I've found over the years it's not the lights, but rather it's the driver transistor and sometimes the resistor next to that transistor.

Transistor Q 46 and check resistor R 256.

KenLayton

Here is a picture of the replacement transistor installed on the main board of the BC-8500XLT radio. Notice that the flat side of the transistor faces the front panel.

To replace the transistor, follow these instructions:

Remove the 5 screws holding the top cover and carefully slide the top cover back.

Unplug the two pin speaker connector and now the top cover can be completely removed and set aside.

Remove the 5 screws holding the bottom cover, slip it off and set it aside.

There are 5 screws holding the front control panel onto the radio frame: 4 flat heads and one pan head. Remove those screws and carefully slip a small straight slot screwdriver underneath the release tabs on each side of the panel. Panel slides straight off, but you only need to move it just enough to get your soldering iron and solder sucker into the area around Q 46.

Now unsolder and replace Q 46. Be sure to resolder resistor R 256 next to the transistor also.

Now reassemble and enjoy your radio and lighted display!

Attachments

• BC8500Q46.JPG
    BC8500Q46.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 528
Status
Not open for further replies.