Uniden BCD 396XT Programming Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsanders83

KC8JSU
Premium Subscriber
I just received my new 396xt, and I can't seem to find the free uniden programming software for it. The CD the scanner came with doesn't have it on there, and I can't find it on uniden.com, under downloads, even after I registered the scanner. What am I missing? Is is the same software as the first 396?

Thanks.

rvictor

The Uniden software is not ready yet. Seems strange that others can get theirs ready and Uniden can't, but that's the case.

Dick

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
The Uniden software is not ready yet. Seems strange that others can get theirs ready and Uniden can't, but that's the case.

Dick

There were unforeseen complications during the development period for the latest version of UASD. I am just glad that other software vendors were allowed to jump in there and create their own products that work well with the XT line of radios.
Marshall KE4ZNR

wise871

Database Admin
I hope it is fixed and released soon. I was reading that there were simular problems when it came to the release of the BC235and BC245 software.

jnewell

Is the attraction of the Uniden software (1) its price (free?), (2) its features, (3) its performance or (4) other? I''ve been using RS/GRE scanners since the 93 came out. The BCD396XT is my first Uniden. I'm finding myself quite pleased with Proscan. FreeScan is a good product but Proscan is a little more intuitive for me. What I really wish is that Don Starr would write a program for these, but...

W4ELL

Feed Provider
If you are referring to the Uniden Advanced Scanner Director software (UASD), it is not free. The price varies from $15 to $30 depending on the scanner model.
See: UnidenDirect - Products - Software

Steve

With the last few scanner releases, UASD full versions for the higher end, digital scanners (396T, 996T, ETC.) were free of charge. The lower end analog scanner full versions of UASD (246T, 330T,BCT15, ETC.) were the ones they charged for.

I didn't see anything about this changing with the new models but I could have missed it somewhere. :)

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
With the last few scanner releases, UASD full versions for the higher end, digital scanners (396T, 996T, ETC.) were free of charge. The lower end analog scanner full versions of UASD (246T, 330T,BCT15, ETC.) were the ones they charged for.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the information

Steve

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
I use ProScan and like it a lot. For me it is the right solution. FreeScan is the other choice, so you should try both to see what's best for you. ProScan is for a fee, but has a free trial. FreeScan is free with donations accepted.

I think the next product that will be available is BuTel's ARC-XT. It is supposed to be introduced at the Dayton Hamvention '09 (May 15-17). This is also fee based software.

I'm guessing that Uniden's UASD will be next, but no one has any idea when - or at least those that know are not talking about it.

The author of BcTools says he is planning on rewriting the software and add support for the XTs at that time. So it is hard to predict when it will be available.

Eng74

If you like Don Starr's WIN programs, BuTel's is less of a learning curve than the UASD. Not that FreeScan is bad I am useing now for my 396XT. The softwares all have their good and bad points I guess it is up to each of us on which one we like better.

BigC801

I have free scan and its great for everything except recording and logging hits, It is just odd to me that everyone except uniden the company that made the scanner has there software out allready.

W6KRU

I have free scan and its great for everything except recording and logging hits, It is just odd to me that everyone except uniden the company that made the scanner has there software out allready.

I agree. I buy a scanner as a system and the software is part of it. I find it kind of strange that Uniden turns over the development of the software to support their latest hardware to other developers.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

From what I understand there were unforeseen setbacks during the initial development of the newest version of UASD software. I am just glad we have other options with some of them free :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
From what I understand there were unforeseen setbacks during the initial development of the newest version of UASD software. I am just glad we have other options with some of them free :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

Amen to that. I am forever grateful to FreeScan or any software program. When I had my 396T I had to do all the programming by hand because my computer conked out!!

plaws

Premium Subscriber
any update to when we might see the 396XT UASD software out?

I'd like to see an official message myself. Seeing folks say "yeah, I heard it was delayed" doesn't cut it when the product manager is otherwise so forthcoming with information.

That he is maintaining radio silence on this make me think it will be a long time before I get the software I paid for by buying the radio. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.