Michigan, BCD396XT, Close Call ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

car7858

I set my Uniden scanner for the Close Call option but all I see is some of the 7 banks showing hits and I get no sound. Banks #2 & #4 seem to be the ones with the most traffic, often times the #2 bank traffic indicator is peaked quite high. Can anyone please tell me how to set this scanner properly to receive the Close calls/ I have the MCPSC-Macomb County freqs programmed in it now. I did hear a slight hit on Bank #6 but it was very short. Thanks.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Close call doesn't work with MPSCS frequencies, it gets them whether or not you've programmed them in.

If you don't hear anything, that means nothing is high enough above the signal floor for you to be able to hear.

car7858

Thanks, I honestly thought that was the case because I saw the spikes in two of the banks for the most part but had no sound, then when I checked the Close Call options I saw that the P25's were not listed. One more quick question: What types of calls do they pick up? Can I assume they could be anywhere from CB to two way radios, stuff like that? Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
close cal works usually within a VERY short distance of maybe 50 feet.. also could be more depending on height & type of antenna used..

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
close cal works usually within a VERY short distance of maybe 50 feet.. also could be more depending on height & type of antenna used..

my experence is several feet to a few miles on powerful sites. All depends on your signal (noise) floor for
the location. Been awhile but if I remember the 396 can be set to find different freq ranges.

car7858

Got it, Jim; I kind of a similar response I just found stating how one person was in a mall & picked up some strange 900+ frequencies and other usual garble from the 2 ways, etc. I was worried at first that my scanner had some type of defect beecause I knew there were close signals but couldn't hear them. Now I know the Close Call is meant purely for extremely close distance pickups & not P25's. Thanks.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If you capture a frequency in the near-field that has P25 on it it with Close Call, you will hear it. I.E. If you were close enough to a squad car and it picks up the input frequency. You can also set Close Call to automatically switch to the output frequency, so you could hear the decoded P25 from the output frequency on the trunked system as well, it just wouldn't track it. On the XT model you should be able to set the search configuration to display the NAC reported during the Close Call. Thais all assumes you are close enough to capture the frequency to begin with.

car7858

Thanks DaveIN; I did notice that when I picked up a signal from a school bus that passes each day but only for maybe a second or two as they were quickly out of range for Close Call after they dropped the children near the end of our building.

Status
Not open for further replies.