785D in remote operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lep

My 785D will will no longer go into :"remote" although all other functions seem normal. I can no longer get it to communicate with ARC250 Pro to modify the present programming to ujpdate alpha tags and do other housekeeping functions. I do recall that some months ago the last time I placed this scanner in "remote" it seemed difficult and the manual was a little confusing. However, I am certain I have followed the instructions but it just won't communicate throught the serial port.

Suggestions?

lep

My 785D will will no longer go into :"remote" although all other functions seem normal. I can no longer get it to communicate with ARC250 Pro to modify the present programming to ujpdate alpha tags and do other housekeeping functions. I do recall that some months ago the last time I placed this scanner in "remote" it seemed difficult and the manual was a little confusing. However, I am certain I have followed the instructions but it just won't communicate throught the serial port.

Suggestions?
I just confirmed that the problem I stated a year ago still exists in my BCD785D but no suggestions have been received through these boards. I do not use th is scanner daily as I do from both my 996T and my 996XT but it is still annoying that I can't use software to updat Alpha tags so I try again? Anyone have an idea?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Maybe try a factory reset (hold down MAN-2-9 while powering on the radio I believe). Hopefully you have your programming backed up as it will all get wiped. Does it show that Remote is enabled on the screen and it won't communicate, or is it that you can't get the remote setting to turn on at all?

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
RE: Can't communicate with your 785

I had the same problem with a different, albeit, similar scanner. Mine was a BC796D. It worked fine, and performed well, but I counldn't get it to communicate with ARC250Basic. I checked the ARC250Basic software on my BC250D handheld scanner, and it worked just fine. After trying all kinds of computer, software, and manual checks, a member on this board suggested that the problem may be a bad serial port on the scanner... I cracked open the 796, and sure enough, the connector had a bad connection on two of the pins. I fixed it, and it works fine to this day.

Hope this helps.

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber

Suggestions?

Same thing happened once with my BC780xlt and the "remote" function had been turned off. On the 780 I press and hold the "E" key (also tag REM) for 2 seconds and the function is turn ON or OFF ... For the 785, option 5 (MENU - 3 - 5 - 5) need to be ON ... Here's a extract from the user guide... maybe a way to start your trouble shooting ...

Attachments

• 2010-09-12 15-36-31.jpg
    2010-09-12 15-36-31.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 129

lep

Maybe try a factory reset (hold down MAN-2-9 while powering on the radio I believe). Hopefully you have your programming backed up as it will all get wiped. Does it show that Remote is enabled on the screen and it won't communicate, or is it that you can't get the remote setting to turn on at all?

Np, the scanner does not show it is in remote mode. Yes, the file t hat is loaded into the scanner is backed up to my laptop. I have been reluctant to do a complete Reset as if that does not fix the problem I will have no way to put the files back into the scanner as it is a rather extensive file with multi-sites and several different digital trunking systems...too much to conveninetly enter with alpha tags from the "keyboard" ...this is a mobile installtion using a remote control head as originally sold as a kit by Scanner Master some time ago.

lep

Thanks for the manual excerpt. It is set for 19200, it is not set OFF. But, the control head display does not indicate the REM function is enabled. I took the case of and looked at the serial connector but I see no physical damage nor is there any discoloraiton that might indicate excessive heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.