Strange noise when scanning my 800mhz programmed frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre10

When scanning my 800mhz frequencies which are programmed on my Scanner I get a loud dragging noise like grrrrrr-rap, then it stops and starts back to scan.Is this land noise from the Repeter?If anyone knows.Thanks.

andre10

It is a Uniden BC92XLT.It scans all the programmed frequencies but will sometimes stop on one of them and a loud GRRRRRRRRR like a motor and the sound changes pace then stops and then the Scanner starts to scan and broadcast all my Fire and Police Frequencies.

It is a Uniden BC92XLT.It scans all the programmed frequencies but will sometimes stop on one of them and a loud GRRRRRRRRR like a motor and the sound changes pace then stops and then the Scanner starts to scan and broadcast all my Fire and Police Frequencies.

My guess it sounds like you may have some intermod coming from somewhere, or...

Whatever frequency the noise is coming from is mixing with your Fire and Police Frequencies via the Intermediate Frequency in your scanner.

Check your owner's manual for the intermediate frequency. There is some sort of math you have to do to confirm if the noise on the offending frequency and mixing with you frequencies you wish to monitor in your scanner. The trick is finding the offending frequency. Having 2 scanners helps in this matter.

Try searching in the 450-470 band first for the noise.

sjlamb

When scanning my 800mhz frequencies which are programmed on my Scanner I get a loud dragging noise like grrrrrr-rap, then it stops and starts back to scan.Is this land noise from the Repeter?If anyone knows.Thanks.

This sounds like a data burst from the control channel at a trunked site that is on the outer limits of your reception range. Strong enough to occasionaly open the squelch but, not quite strong enough to lock on to and decode with any consistency. As pointed out by others, intermod from a powerful nearby tower is a strong pssibility.

How many signal bars are you showing when it happens? We're assuming that you're not using any type of pre-amp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.