BCT15X vs BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
am i missing something here? the 996T and the 15X seem to do the same thing, only the 996T is somewhat more expensive? will i get the same on a 15X if i buy it? or should i spend the extra for a 996t?

any advice??

Gary

ffemt601

The 996 is a digital scanner and the 15x is analog. Your need depends on the systems you want to monitor.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You're missing the fact that the BCT15X is an analog only scanner - if you need digital, the 996XT is the way to go here....73 Mike

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
My mistake.....thanks for the info guys, they are both nice looking units, Digital is what i will need though,many thanks,

Gary

NNJradio

I think digital is what will all need at some point. Rather than be shut out in the future.

Now if we had mototrbo and GE pro voice??

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
I beleive we will see an increase in the amount of encrypted systems in the future......then what? oh well, lets keep our fingers crossed that we don't lose too much.
GW

mrkelso

I beleive we will see an increase in the amount of encrypted systems in the future......then what? oh well, lets keep our fingers crossed that we don't lose too much.
GW

Then what? A Public outcry to stop encrypted systems so that Joe Public can hear what there police departments are doing. We are the Bosses we pay the salaries.

protias

Premium Subscriber
15X has state-by-state preprogrammed channels - let you easily keep up with activity on local police, Department of Transportation, and Highway Patrol frequencies when you travel, without having to program any channels. The 15X also has BearTracker. And as others have said, it is analog only.

996XT is digital.

wireless_friendly

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Does an BCT15X show volume and SQL levels in top right corner of display like is BCD996T/XT?

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a 396XT and had been looking at the non digital models.

My area is primarily analog, but I figured that while traveling or over time as people switch it was worth buying a firmware upgradeable digital model.

Having owned scanners for years, they tend to last quite a while. This one was the first new one I've bought since being the original owner of an Icom R1 and a Pro-2006...and a handful of other Uniden/Bearcat portables from back then too.

w0kie

95% of the activity in my area is analog. Because of this I purchased the BCT15X. It seems like a really nice scanner but I do wish that the scanner speaker was on the top of the unit rather than the bottom.. I attached the mobile bracket upside down on the scanner for desk use which seems to mostly solve that problem.. The BCT15X is smaller than I expected. I was disappointed that no printed user manual that came with the scanner. The multi-product CD manual that was included leaves a lot to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.