BC346-XT and FM Broadcast band

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I will admit when I ordered the 346, I didnt even realize it recieved the FM broadcast band(and would not have influenced my decision either way). That being said, now that I have had mine for about 5 months, I am quite impressed with its reception of FM radio----even when using my RS 800MHz antenna. I am able to pull in many stations that are either fringe, or dont even show up on many radios that I have for AM/FM. I was curious if anyone else used their 346/396 to listen to FM broadcast band, and what their results were. Also would like to give a thumbs up to UP Man and Uniden for including it! Mike

scannerman5555

Silent Key
over the weekend { sunday} was picking up Atlantic city N.J. 107.3 fm wpur country station from Long Island area very clear plus was picking up the ny city 800 trunked system too doitt system mot ; and some more too ! good luck with the scanner ... have the same one very good on Islip town ; suffolk county ; Long Island N.Y.

Haley

Scannerman5555, I agree GREAT scanner if you dont need digital (have a Pro-96 for that)!

I would imagine you have a TON of stuff to listen to where you are. Central Iowa, lets just say its not quite as busy as your area. Mike

jclarkr6

I've also noticed that I get excellent reception in the FM Broadcast Band with my BCD396XT. In fact, I had to lock out several FM stations from the scanner because Close Call kept getting hits on them. Oddly enough, I turned the FM Broadcast Band off, but I still get hits in that band. It really doesn't bother me though because I have already locked out the FM Broadcast frequencies in my area. I think it's great that I can listen to music and public safety frequencies all on the same scanner! Way to go Uniden and UPMan!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I have a separate system set up just for all my favorite local FM stations. Since I work a lot of night shifts, I always have my scanner at work with me, so when the local PD/FD actions gets slow, I turn on the FM system and enjoy some late night classic rock.

:)

Haley

325xia,

I just did a quick check with my IPOD headphones, and the local station was in stereo.

Has anyone else heard of the rumors, that the FM band may be expanded below 88MHz. For example former TV channels 5 and 6 (76-88 MHz, which is used in Japan). I dont have a link, but if you google FM band expansion, there are several discussions on this topic. Anyway , the 346/396 would pick up this if done(and further on down of course). Pretty cool, not to mention NO FM radio has the fine tuning capabilities of either scanner.

On a similiar note does anyone have an idea of what may go in the former VHF TV channels? Kind of a lot of area just to set empty. Mike

325xia

Premium Subscriber
FCC Auctioned on the VHF/UHF TV Bands. Nextel won the Bid and will be using this with Digital equipment. Not sure when they will begin, (if not already). That's cool that you can pick-up the Stereo Broadcast on FM Music Channels.

Haley

Thanks for clearing that up UPman. I was listening to a talk show, should of tried a music station. (sorry 325xia) . Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.