What backlight color prefered on XT scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
I was messing around with my 996XT today and I was adjusting some of the alert colors to indicate blue = police, red = fire, white = EMS, etc. My default backlight is cyan. One thing I noticed when using blue for lawenforcment, it too dark to read. After seeing others post, I was thinking of going with green as my primary backlight and using cyan for lawenforcement. I was just wonder what others use as there setup preference.

oracavon

I've experimented with the various colors, and I found green the easiest to read, so I've stayed with that. I wish there were more choices and options, such as:

1. Amber backlighting, like the 780XLT
2. Option to have the alert color/flash effective for the entire transmission, not just the first few seconds
3. Colored lettering on a black background (like the default display with ProScan software)

GTO_04

Cyan, hands down! White is my second choice. The blue is too dark, seems darker than on the 396T.

Never was a big fan of amber. I don't see where the visibility is all that great with it.

GTO_04

scannersnstuff

green for 396xt & 996xt. easiest for me to read & look's nice too. followed by cyan. not too bad either.

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

In the house, I use the dark blue. In the car during the day, I use green. In the car at night, I use red.

I don't use alerts because there is no "master" option to turn them off!!! Lol

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
For every day usage I use Cyan on my 396XT & 996XT.

For my alerts I use:
--Fast Red for City Fire Dept Alert
--Slow Red for County Fire Dept Alert.
--Green Fast for EMS Alert.

I will change it up from time to time depending on my mood :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

sragen

Cyan is my standard. I have certain freq programmed as Blue/Red/Green, but use it as a peripheral visual alert. I agree the blue is way dark. On my "T" I liked the green, but for me, cyan is the best.

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

hfxChris said:
Red for me. Doesn't take the eyes out at night :)

That's why I love having red.

jclarkr6

The yellow is easiest to read for me, followed by the green. Both of those colors work well in the sunlight. I wish Uniden would bring back the orange color that my BC95XLT has, it is really easy to read in the sunlight.

oracavon

That's why I love having red.

I have to agree, now that I have started listening in a darkened room. I continue to use green in a lighted room for best visibility and contrast, but it's an eye killer in a darkened room. Dimmed yellow isn't bad in the dark either, but I find red the easiest on my eyes in that situation (and dimmed red, at that). The orange color of my 780XLT display works well in both situations, but that color isn't available on the 996XT.

Haley

After having my 396xt for a week, I would say in this order white, yellow (very good in daytime sun), and green. The other colors are fine in the dark. I just find myself using these colors the most. Now if I could just get the orange from my 346xt as an option, I would be set. Mike

Haole

I have all of the local PD dispatch channels set to different colors so when i'm driving and I hear a call come up all I have to do is look over and see the color to tell what part of the city it's coming from.

capmeo

Green for me but after hearing about the different alert colors...I am going to try different colors for different alerts.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
None

I turn the displays OFF so no color for me! If I need to see what is on the screen I turn on a computer and log into PROSCAN or just turn on the FEED computer

oracavon

OK, so what colors do you use for the ProScan display, then?

I turn the displays OFF so no color for me! If I need to see what is on the screen I turn on a computer and log into PROSCAN or just turn on the FEED computer

I like the default aqua on black. Wish I could get my radio to look like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.