RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives - A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 3:36 AM

Good point, an internal gps wouldn't work indoors but the external gps won't work indoors either for unless you position the gps receiver near a window, or have an external antenna for it. Anyway, i think gps is only a worthwhile feature when you are travelling, in which case you are not indoors and would be able to get a signal presumably. My gripe is having a device that is as advanced and slick as the home patrol, while still having to tote around extraneous accessories (of which it sounds like there is a very limited selection) for functionality that could have easily been built in.

Just my .02
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2010, 8:16 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Another point is that the price to implement GPS in the above discussion is grossly underestimated. Every user would be stuck with paying for GPS whether they would ever use it or not.
For better help, tell us specifically what you are trying to scan.
Old 08-27-2010, 8:23 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I think I've mentioned this before.....If I'm going to pay as much or more for a Home Patrol as I would have to pay for a 996XT, then I'd rather buy the 996XT with more abilities/flexibility as far as programming goes. And with the 996XT, you still have to have an external GPS unit to use the GPS features of the 996XT....or 396XT. So I agree that if a simple GPS were included and/or internally installed, it would much more be worth the money as far as Home Patrol goes.....if you're comparing to the 996XT/396XT or trying to decided whether to spend that much money / equal amount of money.
Old 08-27-2010, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Another point is that the price to implement GPS in the above discussion is grossly underestimated. Every user would be stuck with paying for GPS whether they would ever use it or not.
It's got the GPS chip makers laughing all the way to the bank. Am I the only one that wonders how may GPS receivers I need in my car? I've got one in my Cell phone, one in my OnStar, one in my navigation system, and I need another one for my scanner. Jeesh!
Old 08-27-2010, 9:48 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Keep in mind, too, that most cell phones only have 1/2 of the GPS solution built into the phone. The other (expensive processing) half is done by servers in the cell towers. This is called assisted GPS (or A-GPS).

List of devices with Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For better help, tell us specifically what you are trying to scan.
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2010, 1:10 PM

GPS IC's are damn cheap these days. But I'm sure there's much more to the cost than that; especially including the increased regulation and certification hassles from Big Brother.

Still.. I would have gladly paid considerably more for a "with GPS" version if it were offered. As it is, it's about $80 to get going with an external GPS anyway!
Old 08-27-2010, 2:24 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by del1964 View Post
I think I've mentioned this before.....If I'm going to pay as much or more for a Home Patrol as I would have to pay for a 996XT, then I'd rather buy the 996XT with more abilities/flexibility as far as programming goes.
If you appreciate the programming abilities & flexibilities of the 996XT, then you aren't the intended customer of HP1.
Old 08-27-2010, 6:18 PM

Default Home Patrol as a portable?

Having never owned a portable scanner I bought a BC95XLT the other day. Programming in my local analog freqs and testing it out.

I plan to buy a Home Patrol when it comes out but still wonder how well it will work as a portable. At least now I can compare it to the BC95XLT to help me determine if I will want a digital portable also.

Only a month or so to wait.
Old 08-27-2010, 6:27 PM

Default Great scanner for the wife!

I prefer my BCT15X, BCD996XT, & BCD396XT, but this looks like a really neat little compact and very user-friendly scanner! Perfect for my wife who loves to listen to my digital scanners, but is clueless when it even comes to pressing the "Hold/Resume" button to stay with a certain incident / TG or Analog system, now she will not have to worry about that. I am definitely pre-ordering her one for a holiday gift!
Old 08-28-2010, 5:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

ScannerWorld.com Sent an email ad with the new machine out in October at $494.99
Old 09-03-2010, 7:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Another "bummer no integrated GPS" guy

I have to admit it seems like a neat radio...

I do, however, fall in to the "disappointed the GPS is not integrated" camp. Especially when the VX-8GR exists and Kenwood is working in the same direction. Yes, I know, they are not scanners.
Old 09-03-2010, 8:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Marine VHF and Coast Guard net frequencies

Uniden, and UPMan,
How about making the home patrol allow a non technical user to monitor Standard Marine VHF frequencies and the USCG net operational frequencies too. It is not right to leave out this category of use. I am the exact customer you say you have manufactured this scanner in order to serve in that I do not have the technical ability to update the radio reference data base to include these. I may not even have the ability to use the home patrol software to make it happen even if you made sure that was possible. I need Uniden to make it happen by their ability to get the frequencies from USCG so that i can enter my zip code or a zipcode I arrive in on a trip or my gps data to allow the unit to monitor all the standard Marine VHF frequencies as well as the specific USCG net operational frequencies in use in the local USCG sector or area. OR simply allow all the USCG net operational frequencies to be monitored. Surely you can accomplish this in a manner similar to how you will make aircraft and maybe local airport frequencies available? The Marine Domain should not be ignored and the USCG although Federal certainly is involved in much public safety and operational SAR and Law Enforcement work on a local basis just as the local Fire Departments and Police Departments are. Can you assure those non technical "Bob"s out here that have use for the Marine and USCG Domains that you will provide us with adaquate monitoring capabilities (just as you are looking out for those interested in aircraft and railroad) ? How about at least assuring us that Uniden will provide an update to the firm ware that will address this issue soon ? Thanks for listening and I will be interested to hear from you as to what Uniden is planning in this regard.
JCI
Old 09-04-2010, 8:10 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question: has anyone actually had hands on experience with the Home Patrol yet? I see a lot of assumptions as to its lack of flexibility (compared to the 996XT) but how is this known?

The Garmin Nuvi series is "dumbed down" for the mass market. Tom-Tom created that market. Yet the Nuvi has a lot of things I do like. It has a bigger screen than many of my other Garmin units. And I can hook it with my amateur radio TNCs to make a GPS/display for APRS.

I expect to see something like this with the Home Patrol. A bit more aimed at the mass market which means a bigger screen (and touch screen as well) and preprogrammed features (996 was heading there as well). Look the 996 is a pain to learn how to program compared to the older Unidens. It had similar preprogrammed features. But does having preprogrammed features mean that there will NOT be flexibility (to get to all of the 996 features is a real pain).

I am looking forward to seeing what the first reactions will be.
Old 09-04-2010, 8:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Sdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Yes, there are many SDRs (Software Defined Radio) out there. Even in the scanner world, there is WinRadio and Icom's PCR series. While these might not be complete SDR integration, there are ham transceivers such as those made by Flex Radio that are 100% SDR units. There are also many SDR receiver kits I've seen.

So, the technology is here.

Joe M.
SDR is very big in the military radios. Look at the Harris Joint Tactical Radios. The PRC-150 is HF with ALE. The PRC-117F/G are vehicle/backpack radios that cover 30 Mhz to 3 Ghz. The PRC-152 is a handheld that covers 30 to 512 Mhz. All are SDR which allows for updates in technology to be done in firmware updates.

I expect to see more SDR, even if the radio looks and acts like a conventional radio. Just look at the Elecraft K3 which is SDR but functions like a conventional radio.
Old 09-04-2010, 9:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 990adv View Post
Having never owned a portable scanner I bought a BC95XLT the other day. Programming in my local analog freqs and testing it out.

I plan to buy a Home Patrol when it comes out but still wonder how well it will work as a portable. At least now I can compare it to the BC95XLT to help me determine if I will want a digital portable also.

Only a month or so to wait.
You know, that`s one of the questions i`m asking now, how well will it go as a portable? I know the pics posted here were probably just "first looks" , but from what i saw it has me wondering how easy it will be to carry when one travels. My other naggy question has to do with the updating (using the RadioReference database), will one need to get a preimeium membership to take adventage of the updating feature through the database or not? Other than those two wonderings, it looks like a scanner that could tease me into sellin` my `396T someday (but not yet ). N9NRA
Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 AM

Default Gps

New Information to some.

I just got an e-mail from Timex (Watch's) introducing a new wrist Watch the Ironman Global Trainer GPS Watch. This has a USB output with lots of other features. Have NO idea if this would make the connection to the Home Patrol but does talk to GPS output.

Just a new Toy with a big price tag at $300.00 list price.

Some one with more knowledge than I can take a look at the GPS items and see if they think it might do the job??

JBuff27
Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9NRA View Post
. My other naggy question has to do with the updating (using the RadioReference database), will one need to get a preimeium membership to take adventage of the updating feature through the database or not?
Membership is not required to update the radio.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBuff27 View Post
New Information to some.

I just got an e-mail from Timex (Watch's) introducing a new wrist Watch the Ironman Global Trainer GPS Watch. This has a USB output with lots of other features. Have NO idea if this would make the connection to the Home Patrol but does talk to GPS output
Home patrol uses serial port for GPS connection. As per UPman post, there isn't a standard format for USB connected GPS devices.
Old 09-04-2010, 1:07 PM

Default Gps

I have seen what UPMan has posted.

BUT USB by definition is "Universal Serial Bus". And there are standards for it. The fact that GPS people may NOT use the standard is no excuse, maybe someone needs to tell them that it is time for them to make use of the Standard.

Take a look at and read

Universal Serial Bus (USB)

JBuff27
Old 09-04-2010, 1:07 PM

Wow, I have not been reading up on this thread for a few hundreds posts now, and people are still *****ing about the HP on my return visit! Same old gripes as when it started and the radio hasn't even been released yet. Do people really ***** this much about things they won't buy or have never even tried themselves? Sad life, I guess.
BG..