BCD396XT reception loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

jami396xt

In the last 4 days my scanner has almost completely lost the ability to pick up any channels. All of the repeaters I have stored can also no longer receive. I have checked all my settings and can't see any thing wrong. All of my channels the had a 5 bar signal are now two or one. that is only if I connect to a diamond discone antenna, that is on a 30 foot tower. I have a Astra on my truck that hardly get any channels. and the rubber duck is the worst, nothing. We did have some strong storms prior to this problem, but i was not connected to the diamond. Used the rubber duck. My question is it possible to Half fry the radio. Or did I bump the settings somewhere. Prior to my problem I was pulling in Analog stations as far away as Clewiston And Trunked Collier, Monroe and Lee Counties. I live in South south Miami Fla.. Firmware version is 1.18.14 any help Please.

jcpd9720

My first guess would be the Squelch setting... I have forgotten to un-monkey with mine enough times that it's the first thing I check every time something "seems" wrong.

My second guess would be the federal government jamming frequencies around you... you didn't do anything that would warrant this did you?!?

OK, the second one was for fun, but definately check the Squelch.

Last edited:

tampatracker

You might want to check the annunciation too. If it's set to on, could be muffling signals, but with a discone at thirty feet that would seem unlikely.

jami396xt

In English This TIME

The squelch I have adjusted up and down, and nothing has changed. The attenuator in the radio settings is set to the off position.
AGC Analog and Digital are on.
Freq. Lockouts = unlock all
Broadcast screen= All bands on
Tone code Search= CTCSS/DCS
Delay time = 1 sec.

I use the computer to load my programing, and I have saved most of my older files. Last night I reloaded one from a month back before I had any problems. I was trying to get the older radio settings to see If anything would change. Nothing did.

My next question is, has anyone ever sent anything back to Uniden for repairs. And if so, how did that go?

Sorry for the previous post. I have to speak Spanish all day for work, I see my English is paying the price..

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
You didn't have the radio plugged in when the storms hit? Did you have any lightning strikes come real close? It could have caught a little of a surge.

tampatracker

I've sent in my 396xt to Uniden and it took around a month for them to return it repaired. Just curious, can you receive the weather broadcasts? 162.55 - 162.400, etc? And did your problem start immediately after the storms? If so that's a problem, but not one that can't be fixed IMHO..

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Strong signals

Had any really strong RF sources close to your scanner? Are you a HAM and broadcasting on HAM GEAR with antennas in close proximity? I would just send the radio back to UNIDEN for repair. Being a newer model it shouldn't take them long for repair of the unit.

DesertRatt

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.