Homebrew Remotehead for DMA Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Just wanted to let you all know that in the upcoming days i will be working on a homemade Arduino based remote lcd head for Uniden DMA scanners. If anyone would like to be a part of this project with me then please send me a PM. Im not looking to take this to market but i do want to put the plans online or on here so people can make these and use them maybe make them a kit

It will function just like this but with 2 knobs (vol & squel) and 1 big dial and of course the LCD. The whole unit will be about the same size as a deck of cards. If anyone wants to do this with me than please let me know

This is not my video its just for ref
YouTube - 'Bearcontrol2' Uniden Scanner Remote Head

Thanks
Mike

mibzzer15

Well I sure would be interested to help out in any way I can. I don't have too much knowledge about the arduino tho..... :/ ....maybe I can help test out in some way?

l8f57

Just wanted to let you all know that in the upcoming days i will be working on a homemade Arduino based remote lcd head for Uniden DMA scanners. If anyone would like to be a part of this project with me then please send me a PM.

Hi,

I wouldn't mind assisting if I can. I have worked with the HD44780 displays in the past for my own projects. I have not work with Arduino, but would be interested in being introduced to it.

l8f57

SCPD

QRT

VE3RADIO

A couple of us guys up here in Canada are gonna give this a shot too with the same parts... lets keep this thread up to date :)

K

kb0nly

I'm excited at the possibility! I love the older scanners that i have but nobody makes a remote head kit for them anymore. Mainly my BC796D and BC785D.

SCPD

QRT
I got the breadboard and the lcd and the jumper wires im just waiting on the Arduino uno. I'm also working on the the code for serial comms to pass to the lcd and all the button functions and dials.i also have to find a box to house this all in. When i get the rest of the parts i will start post my code so we can hopefully works on this as a group project.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
Here are the parts i ordered.

Arduino Uno
Arduino UNO (ATMEGA328P / ATMEGA8U2) + Free USB Cable | eBay

LCD Black with white text
Character LCD Module Display LCM 162 1602 = HD44780 | eBay

10k pots to control the lcd contrast
5pcs B10K Potentiometer Pots Shaft S 15mm 3 pin/ Feet | eBay

Just need help finding a good box to put this all in.
Total cost so far $30.50 shipped to my house.

Here is the code i will be using and tweaking to pass serial data to the lcd
LCD_bb.png

*/

// include the library code:
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

// initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void setup(){
// set up the LCD's number of columns and rows:
lcd.begin(16, 2);
// initialize the serial communications:
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
// when characters arrive over the serial port...
if (Serial.available()) {
// wait a bit for the entire message to arrive
delay(100);
// clear the screen
lcd.clear();
// read all the available characters
while (Serial.available() > 0) {
// display each character to the LCD
lcd.write(Serial.read());
}
}
}

tampatracker

Wow, that is an awesome idea! I will be following this too. i Wonder if the same can be done for the GRE's or does the scanner have to be DMA based?

SCPD

QRT
here are the board sizes. Im going to start with 1 box to hold everything to start (lcd, pots and 2 buttons and a spin dial) after i work out all the kinks i will try to make it more customized. I still have to workout the serial from unidens protocal to the arduino. GRE and anything else i would consider but im doing uniden first. Keep in mind this is open souce and a group project not just me.

Board size is for the UNO off of this site
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/5484250200_b51d296a0c_o.png

Last edited:

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
I think it is great that you will be releasing the plans so we can make them ourselves. I remember watching that "BearControl2" video a couple years ago and have always wanted to make my own ever since.

I never had much interest in the Uniden RH96 as it is the same [front panel] size as the mobile/base DMA scanners. Having a separate screen and minimal controls would give people a lot more installation options (especially for custom vehicle installations).

I don't think finding an enclosure for it is all that important. I think many people (myself included) would rather separate the components to work it all into a custom installation.

:)

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Looks like im going to tap off the back of the uniden desktops to start than goto the handhelds. Im going to use comport pins 2 (Transmitted Data)- 3 (Received Data) and 5 (Ground). I Don't know how important 5 is going to be. Im going to start with the scanner passing info in 1 direction to the Arduino pins tx1 rx0 and have them goto the remote lcd soon as i know all of it works i will start coding for custom buttons in the project box and take it to step 2. Im at step .05 :) right now.

DB9_RS232_pinout.gif

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I have made some progress here are the ascii codes to send to the radio. I just need to translate button pushes to ascii via Arduino and getting the loop funtions for the lcd calls

:) This is starting to make a lot more sense to me.

4 BUTTONS FOR VOLUME
VOL,5[\r]
VOL,10[\r]
VOL,15[\r]
VOL,20[\r]

1 MUTE BUTTON
VOL,0[\r]

1 BUTTON HOLD/RESUME
KEY,H,P[\r]

Send the same key for both funtions

KEY,H,P[\r]

2 BUTTONS FOR SCAN

Scan Up
KEY,>,[\r]

Scan Down
KEY,<,[\r]

I think im going to have to convert all these command strings (KEY,<,[\r]) to DEC or HEX format for the arduino to understand them and save memory. That part is going to be a PITA.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Im going to go off the GPS port first than work on using the front port when i know it all works

SCPD

QRT
Just to keep you all in the loop. i will be releasing a software version of the hardware version :)

richk107

Scan code

You can also utilize KEY,S,P[\r] to scan.

I have made some progress here are the ascii codes to send to the radio. I just need to translate button pushes to ascii via Arduino and getting the loop funtions for the lcd calls

:) This is starting to make a lot more sense to me.

4 BUTTONS FOR VOLUME
VOL,5[\r]
VOL,10[\r]
VOL,15[\r]
VOL,20[\r]

1 MUTE BUTTON
VOL,0[\r]

1 BUTTON HOLD/RESUME
KEY,H,P[\r]

Send the same key for both funtions

KEY,H,P[\r]

2 BUTTONS FOR SCAN

Scan Up
KEY,>,[\r]

Scan Down
KEY,<,[\r]

I think im going to have to convert all these command strings (KEY,<,[\r]) to DEC or HEX format for the arduino to understand them and save memory. That part is going to be a PITA.

K4APR

Which one is it? Are you using a 16x2 or a 20x2? I have a bunch of brand new 16x2's sitting in my LCD bin, so I am hoping for 16x2.

Also, I have some nice Pactec ABS cases in stock that I am looking at using for another display based product and I think they would work very well with this project.

Ah, just saw your code snippet and saw that it was set up for 16x2!

SCPD

QRT
Software is almost done. I named it uniden commander but now i have to change it because that names is being used. here is a sneak peek. I will most likely get the software done before the hardware because i ordered parts from all over china. They are coming in the mail little by little so i will be working on the software in the meantime. Anybody want to work on the software with me? let me know (visual basic express 2010 its free)

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.