Uniden - TDMA Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Come on Uniden...do something!! I don't care if you release a new scanner (with a keypad) or a firmware update to a current model. I REALLY don't want the GRE PSR-800.

I know that some people say the TDMA standard is finalized and some people say is isn't. I understand that maybe Uniden wants to wait to make sure but in doing so, that are going to lose customers and sales. Give people like me some hope before we actually do buy a GRE scanner.

Dewey

I have been giving very critical thought to this situation almost daily! My home county is TDMA (PG, MD), so I'm missing what I've monitored the most. I'm doing my best to wait on Uniden, but I really can't say how much longer I'm willing to wait. The very LAST thing I want to do is make a bad decision by having what I want come along a week after I went in another direction. I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping for XT firmware upgrades because in my heart, that is my best chance of staying Uniden.

Dewey

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Glad I'm not alone. I see that the new Fairfax, VA is probably going to be TDMA. Frederick Co., VA is getting a new trunked system as well as Frederick Co., MD; I wouldn't be surprised if either or both are TDMA. I work in Loudoun Co., VA and it isD/EMS dispatch but unable to hear what's going on. I think I've heard a lot that's FDMA but there's still some that I want to hear.

Like you Dewey, I don't to fork out $400-500 on a new scanner to only have a new firmware release that will allow the x96XT series do TDMA. I have a 396XT that I leave at home and carry my aging and 3x repaired (by me, all just from over 4+ years of wear and use 24/7) and would gladly buy a 996XT to replace it at home. I also don't want to buy that sketchy GRE unit that has all kinds of weird things like the batteries reporting low if it's bumped and the lack of a KEYBOARD is my biggest issue with it. BUT, I will get one if Uniden doesn't come up with something soon.

I know Upman reads these but probably cannot comment; which I respect and understand. BUT PLEASE, Upman, get them to release something...some little nugget of hope to keep those of us on the fence from buy that GRE stuff. We want to remain loyal, but may not have a choice if Uniden doesn't get on the ball!

a1emt

Premium Subscriber
huh?

Ok...Did I miss something? When did any manufacturer release a commercial receiver capable of P25 Phase 2 TDMA???

WISCOMM

From the PSR-800 Wiki:

X2 TDMA
Note: X2 TDMA is working on two hybrid systems, but is not yet verified on a completed P25 Phase II system because a completed system is unavailable.

Craig
Wiscomm

a1emt

Premium Subscriber
From the PSR-800 Wiki:

X2 TDMA
Note: X2 TDMA is working on two hybrid systems, but is not yet verified on a completed P25 Phase II system because a completed system is unavailable.

Craig
Wiscomm

THX Craig! Also THX for letting me take a look at one this afternoon! :cool:

Dewey

which might explain Uniden not saying anything or releasing anything as of yet.

While I understand Uniden not saying anything, this might bite them on the backside this time. As TDMA systems start to come online, more and more people are going to want to monitor them. With money in hand, why would one want to wait to see what might come out in the future, versus what is out now... giving up the two birds in the bush for what is in the hand. Under normal circumstances, waiting to see what happens only means waiting on some shiny new features, but this time around, we are not waiting for features, but for the capability to monitor systems that we currently can not (without going GRE). There are not many times when new capabilities are needed; 800 Mhz (mid 80's), trunking (early 90's), digital (early 00's), APCO25 (not that long ago), and now TDMA. Currently, we are still waiting on Uniden just to say what they plan on doing while GRE is already on the boat! Not knocking Uniden, just frustrated since I prefer Uniden!

Dewey

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Since they haven't said anything regarding any current or future model supporting TDMA decoding, I wouldn't expect to see anything released anytime soon. I can appreciate how frustrating it is for those of you who live in areas that use TDMA systems, but remember that TDMA is [currently] only used in a few localities out of thousands.

Based on simple economics and capitalism; I can pretty much guarantee you will not see a firmware update for any current Uniden model to enable TDMA decoding. I'm sure they will come out with a new model eventually (probably just an expanded feature upgrade model like the 396XT was to the 396T).

Personally, even though I have been a loyal Uniden customer for years, If I lived in an area that used TDMA I would not hesitate to purchase a GRE PSR-800. And when Uniden eventually releases a TDMA-capable scanner, I could decide then whether to purchase it or not (if it was an "X" type model I would probably buy it, if it was an "HP" type model I would not).

Bottom line = Don't hold your breathe waiting for Uniden; If monitoring your local TDMA system is important to you then go ahead and buy a PSR-800 (you can always sell it later on if you don't want it anymore).

Happy Scanning :)

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Since they haven't said anything regarding any current or future model supporting TDMA decoding, I wouldn't expect to see anything released anytime soon.

Even with the "soon" qualifier on the end of your statement, I don't know why you'd say that. Paul O. has frequently said (and of course, right now I can't find an example of it) words to the effect of "Uniden employees will not make any comment one way or the other on future programming or functionality". In other words, as a poster said in a thread I saw while searching for the above quote, "Santa don't talk til Christmas morning".

Even though GRE has apparently beaten Uniden to the punch, no amount of griping is going to convince Uniden to say anything about it, as evidenced by Paul's past statements similar to the above.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Even with the "soon" qualifier on the end of your statement, I don't know why you'd say that. Paul O. has frequently said (and of course, right now I can't find an example of it) words to the effect of "Uniden employees will not make any comment one way or the other on future programming or functionality". In other words, as a poster said in a thread I saw while searching for the above quote, "Santa don't talk til Christmas morning".

Even though GRE has apparently beaten Uniden to the punch, no amount of griping is going to convince Uniden to say anything about it, as evidenced by Paul's past statements similar to the above.

I don't think anyone is doing any "griping" just expressing frustration in hopes that Paul or someone else from Uniden sees these comments and maybe give us some hope before we give our money to GRE.

VE3RADIO

Money talks, buy a GRE.. I will be buying one.. if a Uniden was out I would buy the Uniden over the GRE.. but there is no Uniden comparable.. money talks the rest walks.

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
I've commented before on how Uniden seems to mimic Nintendo on the way they do things (like the HP-1 being the first casual-person's scanner ever made). But as much as Nintendo likes to keep mum on future product offerings, even they have to tip their hand at some point.

Project Café is getting demoed at E3 this month, but it's not slated for a late 2012 release. That's 18 months out. Hell, Blizzard will tease gamers for up to three years on an upcoming game before releasing it (StarCraft II). Uniden doesn't have to wait until 3 months before release before saying anything. All they have to say is that they are working on it, and drop a hint on whether it's a firmware update or a new model. It can be 18 months out for all I care, but it is getting to the point now that they need to say something.

Or yes, they will lose some customers to GRE. Will the number of potentially lost be enough for their bean counters to worry about? Who knows. How many of those customers would flock back in a hurry at the release of some kind of information? Lot of variables. I know the scanner industry is a copycat industry, but they don't risk anything by saying they are bringing out new firmware or a new model (without showing off any new model's features to be copied).

Besides, weren't they going to charge for major upgrades in firmware at some point? That was the whole purpose for the ESM thing and registering the scanner on their site at one point.

Dewey

I've commented before on how Uniden seems to mimic Nintendo on the way they do things (like the HP-1 being the first casual-person's scanner ever made). But as much as Nintendo likes to keep mum on future product offerings, even they have to tip their hand at some point.

Project Café is getting demoed at E3 this month, but it's not slated for a late 2012 release. That's 18 months out. Hell, Blizzard will tease gamers for up to three years on an upcoming game before releasing it (StarCraft II). Uniden doesn't have to wait until 3 months before release before saying anything. All they have to say is that they are working on it, and drop a hint on whether it's a firmware update or a new model. It can be 18 months out for all I care, but it is getting to the point now that they need to say something.

Or yes, they will lose some customers to GRE. Will the number of potentially lost be enough for their bean counters to worry about? Who knows. How many of those customers would flock back in a hurry at the release of some kind of information? Lot of variables. I know the scanner industry is a copycat industry, but they don't risk anything by saying they are bringing out new firmware or a new model (without showing off any new model's features to be copied).

Besides, weren't they going to charge for major upgrades in firmware at some point? That was the whole purpose for the ESM thing and registering the scanner on their site at one point.

Very well put... +1.

Dewey

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Y'all amuse me.

Do y'all still buy a Ford, Dodge or Chevy because that was the first car you even bought or drove? And just think a car cost thousands of dollars. Now stand back and look at the big picture, what is $500.00 towards a hobby that you real enjoy? Myself I buy what I want after reading the reviews, if it's worth it to me I buy it! However, I would rather go with Uniden than anything else. But sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Try living on the wild side and life is much easier!

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Do y'all still buy a Ford, Dodge or Chevy because that was the first car you even bought or drove?
No...

My first car was a Chevy. Since then I have owned 1 other Chevy, 1 Nissan, 1 Dodge, 1 Jeep, 2 GMCs, and 3 Fords.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.