Uniden Base Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

califmusicman

Here's a question I hope someone can answer. What's the best Uniden base scanner in terms of reception quality, features and overall performance. Not so concerned about self-programming as reception quality. Is it the Home Patrol better or the Bearcat BCD996XT scanner. Also, is reception on these two newer models any better or basically the same as found on the older model BCD396T handheld scanner. Thank you.

sjlamb

Be prepared for a firestorm of opinion here that will end with no clear consensus (including those who recommend another mfg. entirely). I think both are great units with very good receive performance and an enviable list of features, bells & whistles. Have to admit, though... that the HP-1 is simply fun to look at and use with its' very informative and colorful large LCD screen. But... that's not what you asked about so, suffice it to say that both are great receivers.... and, I personally feel that both are big improvements over earlier models.

If you're the type that likes to tinker and play with settings, the 996XT is a more hands on radio with a multitude of features that make it a superb unit for base operations. Audio output and punch is superior to the HP-1's less robust internal speaker. But..... if either is hooked up to a good amplified speaker, they each sound comparable to one another.

Best bet would be to get face to face and try each unit in advance of buying. I happen to own both units and, truth be told.... at this point.... I wouldn't want to give up either. If I were forced to choose one or the other for dedicated base use though, I personally would have to side with the 996XT for its industry leading feature set and DMA memory architecture.

PS... I wouldn't sweat the decision too much... You'll eventually buy both units anyway :D

Last edited:

califmusicman

Yes, you nailed it with that description of me: like to 'tinker and play with settings' and the HP-1 does look more consumer-friendly and splashy but in terms of performance and flexibility what I'm seeing and hearing so far is 996XT is better for my needs. I recently put up an outside Diamond discone antenna so I have that covered. Also don't trust most internal speakers to last so definitely will plug the scanner into an exterior speaker. Thanks for the suggestions.

lep

I have both the 996XT and the HP-1 sitting next to my computer as I type and listen, both are scanning a P-25 700 MHz site and both are operating as a virtual scanner and logging to the computer screen with the log screens side-by-side. One is used for discovering new TG and the other for finding new UID (the site is a fairly new one and the RR.com db is incomplete. . Both are connected via a Stridsburg multi-coupler to the same discone on my tower. I don't see any significant differnence in performance between the 2 models. I have had various models of scanners for more than 35 years and have never myself had a failure of an internal speaker. The HP-1 with 'extreme edition' upgrade is not a toy, it is close to having the features of a much more expensive Cushman service monitor. Both scanners are providing useful info to me for my purposes. If it is within your budget either will serve you. Since no one sees the scanners but me, whether they look like consumer radios or 'professional' radios is not relevant.

LEP

k3cfc

Silent Key
uniden scanners

Here's a question I hope someone can answer. What's the best Uniden base scanner in terms of reception quality, features and overall performance. Not so concerned about self-programming as reception quality. Is it the Home Patrol better or the Bearcat BCD996XT scanner. Also, is reception on these two newer models any better or basically the same as found on the older model BCD396T handheld scanner. Thank you.

My friend all i can say is the antenna is the heart of ALL RECEIVERS.

K3CFC

k3cfc

Silent Key
When i saw this i was ( the 996 and the HP1 are NOT base scanners ) i was ROTFLMFAO

When you take any radio in the house and hook it up it becomes a BASE RADIO.

Just to make things clear.

sjlamb

just to clear one thing up......
the 996 and the HP1 are NOT base scanners.

Uniden has not made a base scanner for many years.

No.... they are much more flexible than the old units that were designed purely (or primarily) as base units. I think the OP was simply asking, which is a better receiver if used as a base? I never got the impression (nor do I think anyone else did) that he thought that either units were designed strictly for base use.

Last edited:

digitalanalog

Nope, I disagree.
Scanners are listed by the manufacture as
Base
Mobile
Handheld

Bringing it in the house still does not TECHNICALLY make it a base scanner, Right?
I thought so.

When i saw this i was ( the 996 and the HP1 are NOT base scanners ) i was ROTFLMFAO

e737

Premium Subscriber
I have come to the conclusion that you like to argue for the sake of argument.

W6KRU

There is no way you are going to convince me that my 396s are base scanners just because they are powered from 120 and hooked to an outside antenna. No one makes a base scanner at this point in time. Base scanners have a metal chassis, a speaker larger than a silver dollar, and a proper audio amp.

DJ88

This is a ridiculous argument. Uniden categorizes their scanners as base/mobile and handheld. A base unit would be one that needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet or tied into a vehicle's electrical system in order to operate. A handheld unit would be one that DOES NOT NEED to be connecterd to an electrical outlet but, rather, can operate off of batteries. You can go for a walk in the park and bring your handheld with you and listen to it. You can't do that with a "base" model. I'm sure they probably use these terms, whether or not they're technically correct, in order to distinguish between those that can be used as portables and those that cannot. Now, if my guess it correct, someone will probably present an argument with regards to portability, and this thread will go on and on and on and on and we'll never come to a conclusion that will be acceptable to everyone..

lindsay34654

A handheld which is plugged into an electrical outlet and hooked up to an external speaker and hooked up to an outside antenna now becomes a base unit. It is all how you look at it and use it as such. It is only a base unit is only a WORD live with it

DJ88

A handheld which is plugged into an electrical outlet and hooked up to an external speaker and hooked up to an outside antenna now becomes a base unit. It is all how you look at it and use it as such. It is only a base unit is only a WORD live with it

As I said, it can also run off of batteries, whereas a base model can't, keyword being base model. As I also said, it's just Uniden's way of distinguishing between the two models for the sake of the consumer.
Oh, how ridiculous!

It's somebody else's turn now.

k3cfc

Silent Key
As I said, it can also run off of batteries, whereas a base model can't, keyword being base model. As I also said, it's just Uniden's way of distinguishing between the two models for the sake of the consumer.
Oh, how ridiculous!

It's somebody else's turn now.

eBay Item number: 160565479842

Add batteries hook to scanner 12 volt dc. if it doesn't have one add one. oh i forgot you need to know something about electronics first. LOL

lep

just to clear one thing up......
the 996 and the HP1 are NOT base scanners.

Uniden has not made a base scanner for many years.

It seems that Uniden does not use your definition because on their web site: myuniden.com, they have an 800 MHz "Base scanner" listed for sale.

Since the manufacturer calls that unit a 'base scanner' that is good enough for me.

Other than enjoying arguing, what's your real point?

Danny6569

996 xt

There is no way you are going to convince me that my 396s are base scanners just because they are powered from 120 and hooked to an outside antenna. No one makes a base scanner at this point in time. Base scanners have a metal chassis, a speaker larger than a silver dollar, and a proper audio amp.

The 996 xt does have a Metal chassis, a speaker larger than a siliver dollar and also has a proper audio amp! the speaker is about 3 and a half inches around! and an older base scanner would also use a 120 outlet and also an outside antenna if needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.