BC125AT Firmware Update Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/publish/BC125ATFirmwareUpdate.html

We've changed a couple of things, in addition to the firmware itself:
  1. This update uses a new updater tool that we'll roll out for future updates to our other scanners, as well. We believe it is an improvement over the previous updaters...let us know what you think (like I need to tell you guys to do that :) ).
  2. I'm using a link that provides a much faster response from our servers than the previous style. The downside is that formatting is a little plain. The upside is near-instantaneous page serve. If you want to compare, try the above, then also try BC125ATFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki.
As to the update itself, changes are in the link above, but I'll copy them here:
  • Update the frequency steps in the VHF band to match the latest FCC Narrowbanding band plan.
  • Change the opening screen to include the current firmware version.
  • Apply a one-time routine to convert the memory image of existing channels to the new format required by the narrowbanding change.
  • Change how Marine channels are displayed during service search.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause scanning/reception to stop with certain combinations of Close Call and other features selected.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Gonna stick this for a little while so the 125 owners can
find it easy.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Hullonian

BC125AT Firmware Release

New firmware seems to work OK. Right now I can see the new boot-up screen with the version 1.02.05 displayed. I was not having any of the other problems except for the occasional tic tic noise and that was on channels I didn't use. Thanks to everyone for keeping us up to date. Still a GREAT scanner for the price and being used for what it was intended for.

Hullonian

This is one for Uniden and UPMan to consider. One of the most used functions with my Icom IC-R2 is the automatic timed turn-off function. I wonder if this could be incorporated in a firmware update for the BC125AT ? Also (but not as important), when the radio is scanning, instead of displaying the word SCAN, if it could display the scrolling frequencies it is actually scanning ?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, sleep timer would require the addition of a real-time clock to the hardware. You could possibly achieve this by running it on external power connected to a timed outlet.

It would be possible to have it attempt to display the frequencies being scanned, but it would be flying by so fast the LCD would never keep up (you'd see a grey blur of 888.8888). The scan speed is much faster than the LCD persistance. I think that the current method is probably a more optimal solution (while recognizing that there could be differing opinions...but I've seen both ways on other products, and the other way is both useless and annoying IMO).

scanningisfun

Well, sleep timer would require the addition of a real-time clock to the hardware. You could possibly achieve this by running it on external power connected to a timed outlet.

It would be possible to have it attempt to display the frequencies being scanned, but it would be flying by so fast the LCD would never keep up (you'd see a grey blur of 888.8888). The scan speed is much faster than the LCD persistance. I think that the current method is probably a more optimal solution (while recognizing that there could be differing opinions...but I've seen both ways on other products, and the other way is both useless and annoying IMO).

Well said. :cool:

Jacob

Hullonian

I agree on the blur, but brand "X" does it somewhat OK. Fun to watch. As for the sleep timer, assuming the circuitry is driven by a microprocessor, any timing function is only a matter of software. When I worked (a while ago), we used micros all the time and usually it was only a matter of programming. Just my thoughts however for what they a worth Jacob.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
New BC125AT

For some reason I can't get the computer (tried another) to detect the comm port and talk to the scanner with USB connected??? Tried the l/o + 6 thing no joy??

737mech

Premium Subscriber
New BC125AT

Ok I figured it out, I guess I tried to jump to firmware upgrade first before driver install. Can't do that. Loaded the driver, then updated the firmware. I did attempt to copy paste from win500, it works. I got a fail message pop up but the tags and freqs went into place on the bc125 software no problem. Very fast to load this up.
Will post a review in a few days.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Bc125at milair

Only have this for a day now, this liitle scanner is keeping pace with my BCT-15 and BCT-15X on Milair just fine. It is better than the PSR-500 for audio, I'm getting fuzz and breaky comms on Milair on the 500. Nice and clear on the BC125AT. I have a few local freqs (Nellis Approach) that is out of range for the BC125AT. I need the 380-400 range. So far so good, the BC125AT is exactly what I needed for a handheld airbander VHF and UHF. I'm gonna load a few federal freqs from Lake Meade and see how it does in the 160-170 range. I should note the scanners are all connected to the same antenna the DPD LP118-1000 and fed through a PAR FM VHF filter. So comparisons are scanner only not the stock antenna. I will go out and compare with stock antennas/RS duckie/and Diamond RH77CA/Larson triband/and a homebrew magmount in a few days. I will be comparing the PSR500 and the BC125AT. I think it's pointless to compare to BCT-15X to the BC125ATas they probably have similar parts?

nepas

I am new to this, but I just purchased a BC125AT and when it fires up It says 1.02.05, so I believe that the new update is already installed?
I have a feeling I will be looking for guidance in using this scanner, so you will be seeing me alot.
TKS,
nepas

bernietr

I installed yhe firmware uptate but?

I installed the firmware uptate but where and when should I see 1.02.05?

When I turn it on the 1st screen shows: Uniden Bearcat BC125AT

Second Screen: Copyright 2012 Uniden Americia Corp. All Rights Reserved.

bernietr

Thank You!

I did not realize you had to go to the uniden folder and and click BC_VUP3 to execute the instilation program.
I have it update now.

Status
Not open for further replies.