Buying A Refurbished Uniden HomePatrol HP-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am giving some thought to buying a refurbished Uniden HomePatrol HP-1. I am just wondering what the biggest risk is? I suspect most have a 90 day warranty rather than a full 1 year warranty. What other considerations are there for buying a refurbished Uniden HP-1?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am giving some thought to buying a refurbished Uniden HomePatrol HP-1. I am just wondering what the biggest risk is? I suspect most have a 90 day warranty rather than a full 1 year warranty. What other considerations are there for buying a refurbished Uniden HP-1?
My biggest concern, after the the length of the warranty period, as well as return options (if any), would be 'who did the refurb?' My definition of a refurbished product would be one that may have had some sort of defect reported. That problem was addressed and corrected, and the unit was working correctly now. The seller's view may be different. They simply cleaned it up, reloaded firmware, it seems to turn on, so they label it "refurbished" Credibility of the seller would be key to me. I'd also want to verify it came with all the original accessories (ac & dc adapter, usb cable, antenna, the 'mini=stand', etc).

I would not be uncomfortable buying a "like new" unit direct from Uniden. "Like new" is defined on the site as usually retail store returns, units that had damaged boxes. or missing components or accessories. These are inspected, tested, and refurbed as needed before being sold with a 90-day warranty. However, at the current cost of $429, that's not far from the lower range of where some new units have been found recently.

QwKiE

Radio Shack right now $449.99 you can get a $20.00 coupon brings it to $429.99 free shipping, but you pay tax NEW. Maybe if you wait they have a better sale I got my second HP 1 from there total was $402.79 tax and shipped to my home. Brand new. RS always has sales that can be as much as $100.00 cheaper if you can wait and make sure you get the coupon 20 off over 175 purchase.
RadioShack® Coupons, Coupon Codes, Promo Code

W9NES

I have had zero problems with Uniden. the 90 day warranty on the refrubuished units is great.Why deal with Radio Shack?.You cannot buy the Hp-1 in a RS Store but you can get it on line.If you want to buy a HP-1 you can find them on Craig's list.I got mine for $350.00 and the seller paid the shipping by UPS to my front door.My Uniden HP-1 works great and I have not had any problems with the unit.You might be able to find someone in the Dallas, Tx area on Craig's list that has a HP-1 for sale.If you do not being that you are in the Dallas area you should be able to go over to Uniden at 4700 Amon Carter Blvd and buy one direct and you will not have to pay shipping if you are paying by cash.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have bought "factory" refurbished items without any problems. Many times it is a unit that was returned for whatever reason, usually just because the original purchaser couldn't figure out how to operate it. The technicians will check it out, clean it up, and label it as "refurbished". If it doesn't specifically state "factory refurbished" I would avoid it.

I have heard rumors that RS is selling refurbished HP1s as new, but this is just a rumor at this time.

Last edited:

W9NES

Sorry, But some of us cannot afford the price of a new or a refubished unit. There is nothing wrong with buying one off of Craigs list. Again as I posted I paid $350.00 for mine and it was like new with everything that came with it and it was used a couple of times and updated and then put back in the box.You can get some great buys on Craigslist in your local area if you know how to find them.

KA9QPN

Why not?

With a very broad brush...I've bought several refurbished items directly from Uniden (two telephone systems and several scanners) and have been well satisfied with them all. Whoever does that work for them does it well.

Tom KA9QPN

W9NES

Uniden makes a great product and if you find a Uniden product that is like new on their web site it has a 90 day warranty on it.Also a Uniden Home Patrol can be found on Craig's list and the asking prices are well below Uniden's posted price.

jscurtis

Premium Subscriber
I would be very wary of finding stolen or 'misappropriated' units on craigslist. That seems to be the "deal of the day" lately.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
There is nothing wrong with buying one off of Craigs list.

You've got to be kidding. Craigslist is one of THE riskiest places to buy anything - especially without meeting the person you are buying from. The FIRST safety tip on the site says:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts on craigslist.

W9NES

There is nothing stolen on Craigslist.Some of us know what to look for.I would recomend a look at Craiglist.Stolen units? No Stolen units here.I have made great deals in the past on Craiglist in the past in my local area.I have met some very nice people.

Last edited:

W9NES

It is nice to have all the serial numbers checked out by NCIC before buying them from Craigslist. As far as everyone saying that the stolen stuff shows up on craigslist is not true.A lot of great deals can be made on Craigslist in your local area.You just have to know how to find them andcheck out the seller of the said item.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It is nice to have all the serial numbers checked out by NCIC before buying them from Craigslist.

Why would you bother with that if, as you posted, "There is nothing stolen on Craigslist"?

What is the point of having the serial numbers checked?

W9NES

fxdscon, The point of running serial numbers thru NCIC is to protect me(The Buyer) and will also tell me if the item has been STOLEN.Sometimes you do find a stolen item. If you are good at what you do you make sure that item gets back to the rightful owner of the property that was taken from. I might at a later date buy another Home patrol 1 from Craigslist.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
fxdscon, The point of running serial numbers thru NCIC is to protect me(The Buyer) and will also tell me if the item has been STOLEN.Sometimes you do find a stolen item. If you are good at what you do you make sure that item gets back to the rightful owner of the property that was taken from. I might at a later date buy another Home patrol 1 from Craigslist.

OK, I guess I must have mis-read your other posts, I thought you were telling us that there is nothing stolen being listed on Craigs List.

There is nothing stolen on Craigslist.

As far as everyone saying that the stolen stuff shows up on craigslist is not true.

My bad......:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.