Trucking and The HP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Morning all.

I am going to buy the 990xt because it is far easier to use as a mobile mounted receiver then my HP1 is. Man I have tried just about every mount designed for big trucks which are not permanent mounted mounts (not allowed to drill holes). The last mount failed a few days ago; causing the radio, power supply, and GPS to all come crashing down damaging the GPS interface cable in the process. While I know the HP1 is one of a receiver, I just don't think it is real condusive for mobile mounting in the big trucks. I drive a KW660 with limited dash space so it needed to be set up as to not block my sight. Not a whole lot places to do that.

Bungie cords are wonderful things. With just two, I was able to mount my 990t underneath my CB from the overhead. The HP1 just isn't the right shape for that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated but I think it's just time to go back to what works. Those of us who are drivers and hams and/or scanner buffs have always needed to develop unique solutions to both accommodate our hobby and our truck owner's policies in regard to mounted personal equipment. I am definatly out of ideas now.

Mark

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

daveharpe

If you had enough room to bungee a (996T), you could try making a simple L-shaped plastic piece to facilitate mounting. Mount one of the HP-1 quick release plates on the short flat side of the L, bungee or industrial velcro the long flat part to the bottom of the CB.

kjczarzasty

Premium Subscriber
You might consider a RAM glass mount to which you can connect an HP-1 clip bracket. When I travel on buff trips I have used this type of mount in rental cars. If you use an external antenna I would recommend an "L" adapter for your antenna connector so you can swivel the antenna cable to take the stress off the connector on the side of the HP-1

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The T600 interior looks very similar to the T370 I drive from time to time. I don't put my scanner in it as it's a fire truck and I can hear the radios just fine from there :), but I have a suction cup mount for the HP1 that works pretty well in my car.

10-531681-2.jpg

(Image from Scannermaster)

Would you be willing to put that on the base of the windshield so the scanner is "sitting" on the dash somewhere above of or above and just to the left of the stereo? It strikes me that with careful cable routing, the scanner would not obscure the view of anything but your hood if it was in that location.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Some good suggestions-thanks. Problem with suction cups is that glass mounting, specifically windshield mounting is illegal in California. I have a GPS on the dash with a suction mount using a suction plate with an adhesive underside. Problem here and with this tractor is that two devices on the dash is one too many as it cuts down my visibility ( don't think any of you want to be in front of a big rig whose driver can't see you). Mute point anyway till I reorder the GPS cables and connectors. And that's another thing, i have only two dc outlets available in the cab, one of which has a three barrel jack extender plugged in. Between that, the line for my phone, GPS, Sat radio and, the charger for my blue tooth headadt- too many cables. The GPS for the HP draws power independently from the HP meaning it needs it's own DC socket.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The bracket that we sell is compatible with mounts from RAM Mounts (and others). They have many different mounting options...it is likely that one would work for you.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
I will check out those Ram mounts. There are however a few other issues with the HP itself which I have already commented on via the HP site and forum. Having the thing fall into my lap just short of a weigh station just focused the issue nicely.

Mark

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
I will check out those Ram mounts. There are however a few other issues with the HP itself which I have already commented on via the HP site and forum. Having the thing fall into my lap just short of a weigh station just focused the issue nicely.

Also wanted to make sure you know that ProClip mounts can also mount to the Uniden mount. I have my Uniden mount attached to a tilt & swivel base. It adds a little shock absorbtion and it makes it easy to make small adjustments for readability...

KD8HE

Premium Subscriber
This is the one I have on my Uniden HP mount
RAM 2.43" x 1.31" Diamond Base with 1" Ball
Product Number: RAM-B-238U

Harry

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
The HP work fantastic for the home, I'M very happy with mine.
But for my Big Rig the 996XT or 15X hands down.

You can not beat the quick keys as they are way easier and safer (while driving)

Also the HP has the low power speaker jack (like the handheld s) so you would need a power amp speaker

Love my 996XT in my Big Rig...... good luck

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Update

I did purchase (from Scannermaster- bless them) the 996xt and have it secured with bungee cords to the bottem of the slide mount for the CB ( also a Uniden product). Again, nothing against the HP1, it's a great concept and a great device. But I will say, programming gives me what I want to hear when I want to hear it and allows me to set things up the way want. I missed the programming side of things. To me, that has always been one of the pulls for the hobby.

Anyway all, thanks for the advice and reccomendations. Very much appreciated.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.