Manual programming for BCD996XT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka5lqj

Good Friday Morning, All, :D.

I'm saving my $$$$ to buy a 996XT digital (P-25) scanner. It may take awhile since I'm on a disability check, but, I think it would be worth the wait, maybe it will be some less expensive when I get mine, :lol:. When it comes to programming scanners, I'm old school and like to do it manually. I see where most of the retailers charge extra for just a couple of counties. But I like in an area of 3 states, so just getting a couple of counties won't work. I'm also in tornado alley, so listening to the fire and police/sheriff frequencies during a coming storm is critical.

I have various Rat $hack scanners made by different companies and I was always able to manually program them, so will I be able to do this or not?

A customer SHOULD be able to manually input frequencies into their scanners IF a well-written information (Unlike Radio $hack) booklet is ncluded. Now, I'm not being hard on Radio $hack. All those scanners work and work well, once programmed.

Question to UP-MAN: Is your scanner program Linux-based?

Suggestion: Why not make a program BETTER than HRD but in Linux? I'd pay for that ability.

I'm moving UP in class by getting the Uniden BCD996XTD? With no "channel" limits, it will be a much better scanner, just input the frequencies. I just hope it will take the new narrow band channels (4 places).

Well, it's high NOON, time for lunch, a PB&J, some carrot sticks and a big class of ice water. MMmmmmmm!

Respectfully submitted,
Don/KA5LQJ
Good in QRZ.com

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Good Friday Morning, All, :D.

I'm saving my $$$$ to buy a 996XT digital (P-25) scanner. It may take awhile since I'm on a disability check, but, I think it would be worth the wait, maybe it will be some less expensive when I get mine, :lol:. When it comes to programming scanners, I'm old school and like to do it manually. I see where most of the retailers charge extra for just a couple of counties. But I like in an area of 3 states, so just getting a couple of counties won't work. I'm also in tornado alley, so listening to the fire and police/sheriff frequencies during a coming storm is critical.

I have various Rat $hack scanners made by different companies and I was always able to manually program them, so will I be able to do this or not?

A customer SHOULD be able to manually input frequencies into their scanners IF a well-written information (Unlike Radio $hack) booklet is ncluded. Now, I'm not being hard on Radio $hack. All those scanners work and work well, once programmed.

Question to UP-MAN: Is your scanner program Linux-based?

Suggestion: Why not make a program BETTER than HRD but in Linux? I'd pay for that ability.

I'm moving UP in class by getting the Uniden BCD996XTD? With no "channel" limits, it will be a much better scanner, just input the frequencies. I just hope it will take the new narrow band channels (4 places).

Well, it's high NOON, time for lunch, a PB&J, some carrot sticks and a big class of ice water. MMmmmmmm!

Respectfully submitted,
Don/KA5LQJ
Good in QRZ.com

The BCD996XT is certainly programmable manually IF you can understand the complexities of the radio, AND the radio systems that you would like to monitor.

Here is an easy to understand manual for that scanner that will help you with that.

Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

There is also some excellent freeware for programming that scanner:

FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

No need to pay a dealer extra to program your scanner.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Not sure what HRD is, but at this time we do not provide programming software for the BCD996XT. There are several very good 3rd party programs that are available.

Yes, all of our scanners can be front-panel programmed. The challenge is in knowing what to program (you need to know how a trunked radio system works in order to know how to program the scanner).

There are channel limits for trunked systems...the only scanner we sell that has no practical limits is the HomePatrol-1 (which includes every scannable channel that is in the RadioReference database, with room for plenty more).

Narrowband is not a problem, but note that many scanners (including the BCD996XT) do not display the full 5-digits to the right of the decimal point. But, the last digit represents 50 Hz, so whether the digit is used internally or not is moot...you would notice no difference in reception either way.

If you change your profile to indicate a meaningful location, you will likely get more specific information about how particular scanners will work where you live.

Assuming you are moving from any other brand, my opinion is that you are certainly moving up in class by going to a Uniden scanner. However, you should not that my opinion is almost certainly biased in this regard.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
HRD is Ham Radio Deluxe, a very popular ham transceiver and digital program...

This is my personal opinion, but I think you would end up in an insane asylum if you had to program 3 states' worth of data manually.. All that function and button pushing would be enough to drive even the late Bill Cheek up a wall.

And as for Uniden's so-called 'scanner program' - they never put one out for the XT series of scanners and their UASD hasn't been updated in ages.. Just break down and get FreeScan with a premium subscription and you'll be good to go. Now mind you, it will still take a bunch of time to organize 3 states' worth of data, but I can pretty much guarantee you won't be doing a whole lot of scanner button pushing.

Uniden's manual for these radios is a true piece of brown stuff, so do yourself a favor - either buy the Easier to Read manual from Scanner Master, or download it from here...

Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

Although on second thought, you might be better off with a Home Patrol....HTH...Mike

lep

I have the BCD996XT as well as the "Easier to read XT manual" but I still program the scanner with software. My 'local systems' are (a) a Trunked MOT Analogue and (b) a digital P-25 multi-site Trrunked 700 Mhz and (c) VHF analogue frequencies. Even with the RR.com database it would be a daunting task to do all the needed button pushing to enter the freqs and the alpha labels. I wouldn't have the time and energy to do it manually. I have Butel ARC XT pro and also Proscan for thosechores. I have also FreeScan but since I am a professional person I expect to be paid for my intellectual work so i don't actually believe in freeware but that's just a personal opinion. Whatever makes you happy is fine.
Any of the programs will do the work. Try the demos and select the one(s) with the best graphics that suits you. But, doing it all manualy, Not For Me. I have seen experienced scanner persons throw up their hands in furstation with the 996XT, it's a Great scanner, it is complex though as are the radio systems of today.

The HP-1 is an ideal choice for someone who wants to just listen and enjoy and not spend a Lot of Time fooling wth the programming of their scanner. (I have both types of scanners to serve different needs in my home radio shack).

ka5lqj

HRD stands for Ham Radio Deluxe, a Window's program that has several programs inside that allow the user to use his computer to control his ham rig. It also has a logging program that checks with the QRZ.COM site for the calls acuracy. You can also use the programs inside to send Morse Code, via the computer keyboard along with PSK-64 (Phase-shift Keying, similar to Teletype, but at 64 bpm)BPSK, (Bit checking Phase-shift keying, and J-65, Single sideband at 65 bpm).

Three gentlemen hams bought the company from the author in South Africa and are upgrading the software, removing the "bugs" and charging a fee for the software. Now, if I knew something about Linux programming, I'd attempt the switch-over to Linux and GIVE the software away. Hams are forbidden to use the hobbly to make money.

Ubuntu 10.4 has some of these programs in it but not all of the radio programs. Since 10.4 is coming to the end of it's service cycle, I am looking for an simple linux program for Dummies (LOL!) that contains these radio programs. I have medical problems (mini-strokes) that don't allow me to "understand" what I read or am told. It effects my balance in walking as well.

Well, I think I'll go take a Saturday afternoon nap.

Respectfully submitted,
Regards,

Don/KA5LQJ

Bartleby

I suppose it's not nice to say, but I'm glad to hear that even the big wigs on here stuggle with programming this thing.
I have read alot of the Uniden manual and gone through the Easy to read manual, and I still don't get it. I've always been a hands on learner. Never did well with read and do. I think most of my problem is terminology.
The question I have for anyone who can answer would be; Is this unit compatible with Windows 7? I also bought Arc-XT Pro and am wondering if that is compatible with windows 7. I have read a few things that have caused me worries about this. I have hooked up to my PC via the front serial port, but unfortunaley when it attempts to install the drivers, it fails. Every time.

I have decided that purchasing the download programming from this website will be the best thing to do, so now I need ti know if it will work with windows 7. From there I can reverse engineer the programming technique and learn that way.

Bartleby

I think I answered my own question shortly after my last post ( which still hasn't posted ). I will look into the Drivers available from Uniden for the Serial to USB cable that I got from Uniden. Hopefully smooth sailing from there. Thanks for the info Radio Wiki.

maalox

i have actually programmed my bcd996xt by hand yes had its frustration moments to hand aches i think the icom r2 is more harder than to programm than the bcd996xt.. i have helped others on here programming there 996t/996xt scanners manually. you must least learn basic programming first then move on to software.. you will enjoy the 996xt. ka5lqi as i have and others ..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think I answered my own question shortly after my last post ( which still hasn't posted ). I will look into the Drivers available from Uniden for the Serial to USB cable that I got from Uniden. Hopefully smooth sailing from there. Thanks for the info Radio Wiki.

Don't forget that you need to go into the setup menus to allocate the ports in the scanner - the steps for which are summarized here...

Freescan - Connecting Scanner to PC - The RadioReference Wiki

HTH...Mike

ka5lqj

Programming 4 States ? LOL!

Hi All,

I don't plan on trying to set-up 4 states (LA,AR, MS, OK & TX) on the 996. I just use the alpha tags on the "locals" to distinguish them one from another. I have in the spreadsheet 108 Texas counties alone and the area
in total from Shreveport is a 300 mile radius, LOL! There are a LOT of 10 watt to 50 watt base and 'mobile relay' (repeaters) in the spreadsheet so programming them would be a waist of time for me, but not for the 'members' in that area (Austin,Fort Worth, Paris; TX, Tulsa, OK; Fort Smith
& Little Rock, AR; Jackson, MS;Baton Rouge and Lafayette, LA; and back to Austin, TX

Those outside the local Ark-LA-TEX area will just have the frequency inputted. IF the 996 will allow the new narrow-band, say, 155.6475 then it's all good. None of my Radio $hack models allow this, it just goes to the nearest available frequency and will only allow it to be programmed.

The last desktop/mobile I bought from Radio $hack, I asked the saleman about the model that gave out "alpha tags", he handed me a Pro 2051. I told him that wasn't the radio I was looking for. He convinced me that this was the one he had sold quite a few and it DID come with alpha tags. So, I bought it took it home and tried programming it.....no alpha tags! I took it back and the store manager refused to take it back, saying it was on "clearance" and he could not take it back. I told him I wanted the "alpha tag one" and I would pay the difference for it. He said he could not do that. SO, I got stuck with the 2051. Now in all fairness, the 2051 has been a good scanner, just no alpha tags. Later, I've bought two Pro-95's and they DO have alpha tags. The 996 will be used for Skywarn call-ups since I'm home mostly and no longer drive due to medical conditions. :(

I'll get the software and the book, just-in-case (didn't he sell insurance?)
I can't figure out the programming scheme. :confused:

GOD BLESS,

Don/KA5LQJ

Bartleby

lep

HRD stands for Ham Radio Deluxe, a Window's program that has several programs inside that allow the user to use his computer to control his ham rig. ...

Three gentlemen hams bought the company from the author in South Africa and are upgrading the software, removing the "bugs" and charging a fee for the software. Now, if I knew something about Linux programming, I'd attempt the switch-over to Linux and GIVE the software away. Hams are forbidden to use the hobbly to make money.

Don/KA5LQJ

No, where did you get such an idea? Amateurs are not allowed to make money from 'on-the-air activiters'. Of course they can be in any type of related business they want, publishers of information for amateurs make money, whether they publish in print or publish electronically makes no difference.

It remains to be seen if the new owners of HRD will be profitable. Selling software to amateurs is not a high profit venture. When at Dayton 2 weeks ago walking around looking at booths there were very FEW selling software. ScannerMaster was one who was selling both scanner hardware and software and Rich was sharing his booth with Gommert Buysen (Butel software). Since both are private companies it is only a guess if they are profitable or not (but both are amateurs and they certainly aren't forbidden from trying).

Bartleby

Thanks for the heads up.
I did notice that Uniden's drivers are for Windows Vista and older. Will the Vista driver work with Windows 7 or should I look for drivers elsewhere? It is a Uniden Cable.

Awesome. Got it linked. Performed the firmware update with 1 short hick-up that only took a little time to resolve. Next step. Frequency downloads. After being able to see the layout on ARC-XT PRO, this is making a lot more sence already. I hope the downloads and movement to the scanner go as smoothly. Thanks for the help.

ka5lqj

Part 97....

According to what I read in the Rules & Regs (Part 97), an Amature can not charge a "fee" for taking and sending messages from a 3rd party to a 4th party, like Western Union, etc.

Now, if a ham invents something and sells it as a business, he's not forbidden from doing that. But here on the Zed, they watch for post in the FOR SALE &
OTHER ITEMS that are illegal or don't conform to F.C.C. rules of Type Acceptance. No "modified" 10 meter to 11 meter rigs, over-powered amplifiers (C.B. Lin-yars, French Ladies, or Foot-warmers, Class C amps)

There used to be a guy in Florida, I forget his call, an 8 something that sold
gear he got from widows of S/K hams and from his buying them outright. "Ken" got a lot of flack because a lot of folks thought he was a commercial seller. I bought from "Ken" and I was well pleased with what I purchased. He and I become friends and he's a fine fellow. Fred, W5YI, (s/k) set up
his services then his friends took it over. I had dealings with Fred as well and I don't think I need to tell you how good a friend he was to all. However, if someone is constantly selling 'stuff' every month, that sounds like a business to me.

So, if you write a book on ham radio or develop a circuit that works on amateur rigs, your not forbidden from making a profit.

I'm certainly no "professional", I'm retired. Can you be a professionally retire person? When I get back on my feet from this broken left leg, I plan on building antennas and at first, selling them locally as a "testing ground". If the locals like it, then I'll sell them on the Zed.

GOD BLESS,

DOn/KA5LQJ

Status
Not open for further replies.