GPS Cable for Home Patrol modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
GPS Cable For Home Patrol Modification

Actually, Scott at Argent Data Argent Data Systems now has some without the RS-232, BUT it is specifically for one of the Garmin automobile navigators. It isn't listed just yet on their website, however. Most people are probably using a "hockey puck" type GPS, so that might not be of any real help to you, though. I have been using my second hand Garmin Nuvi 350 for this purpose. It does double duty by both serving as an automobile navigator and feeding NMEA-0183 data to my Uniden Home Patrol.

If someone here is interested in that you have to place an order for the GTRANS Garmin to NMEA Translator Cable (D-Sub Style), but then enter "UNIDEN HOME PATROL VERSION" in the notes so that they ship the correct cable.

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/...ucts_id=114&osCsid=lt7riaur99bfk8krrnda1vqr67

Last edited:

QwKiE

I looked at that cable ,I am wanting to do away with the rs232 end.
Do you need the rs232 or could you just splice the wires.

lightningbird I have a pic but its in pdf of what you would do to cut out the 232 but I don't think I can post a pdf here I can e mail it to you but I need an address. First I try this see if it will send to here.

Attachments

• GPS Wireing Null Modem.pdf
    4 KB · Views: 790

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I looked at that cable ,I am wanting to do away with the rs232 end.
Do you need the rs232 or could you just splice the wires.

So you are wanting to get rid of the large DB-9 connector on the end of the cable and splice that directly into the wires coming from whatever GPS unit you have?

You keep saying rs232 but rs232 is a signaling protocol and not a connector per se although many do confuse the two.

If this is what you are wanting to do, then yes it can be done. You first need to make sure your GPS outputs true rs232 voltages or signal levels but most will if they have NMEA output. Some do only put out TTL level signals which is not directly compatible with rs232 levels. You must use a TTL to rs232 converter. Even so, that can still be done also without the large DB-9 connectors.

You just need to determine what each wire from the GPS are and then connect them to the same wire on the HP-1 cable.

Use the info in the pdf that QwKIE posted as it says what signal each wire is and you should be good to go.

One good thing about rs232 signal levels is that it is very hard to fry something should you make a wiring error.

In another thread in the Uniden forum here, someone posted an eBay link to a guy that sold a bare connector that fit the HP-1's GPS (serial) port mini connector. It had just a length of wire with no connector on the other end which would have been perfect for your needs as then you could keep the original if needed. I don't recall the thread though but it was withing the last three months maybe and the cables with the HP-1 end connector were cheap with free shipping I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.