hp1 (not good mobile)

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9jus

Premium Subscriber
has anyone else had any experience with the hp1 using it as a mobile? My experience with the hp1 as a mobile was not good and i don't know why.

SCPD

QRT
I also use the HP1 everyday with GPS in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, works very well. No complaints. Receiver sensitivity is very nice using a through the glass antenna. The antenna sells for about $20 including shipping on Amazon: Tram TRAM 1199 Glass Mount All-Band Scanner Antenna.

I didn't have high hopes for this antenna because I had to place it where factory tint is but...I was pleasantly surprised.

Ken

bobmich52

I Have No Reception Problems With My HP 1 Mobile Here In Ct

Antenna Is A Larsen nmo

Freqs received Are A Mix Of vhf low/high, Uhf & 800 mhz for our St Police

Minor beef would Be The audio Could Be Better

bee

My HP does terrible with the antenna that came with it, or any antenna similar to it. I have tried several different handheld, antennas including the RH 77A, still terrible.

But when hook up to tthe antenna on my vehical, (spectrmm fource wideband antenna)it does excellent. Also, when hook up to the outside antenna at my house, it does excellent. This is with a radio shack antenna

I dont understand!

lindsay34654

My HP does terrible with the antenna that came with it, or any antenna similar to it. I have tried several different handheld, antennas including the RH 77A, still terrible.

But when hook up to tthe antenna on my vehical, (spectrmm fource wideband antenna)it does excellent. Also, when hook up to the outside antenna at my house, it does excellent. This is with a radio shack antenna

I dont understand!

Duh it is not meant to work with a rubber duck antenna in a car or truck, this is why you get great reception with the mobile antenna. That is not hard to figure out.

W9NES

I love my Uniden HP-1. Great scanner that works well on a mobile antenna. I am using a Comtelco all band mobile antenna, The antenna that comes with the scanner covers all bands.If you are having problems with the HP-1 did you set it up for your zip code, city, or Lat and longitude settings? Could UpMan make a post on this?Thanks Paul.

QwKiE

First

has anyone else had any experience with the hp1 using it as a mobile? My experience with the hp1 as a mobile was not good and i don't know why.

You never did say if you are useing a gps or just the HP 1 in the car.
I use the HP 1 in my car all the time it works so good, I use a Radio Shack 20-011 window mount antenna, but I had good recption with stock antenna and I have a SRH789 all work real good just wanted a outside antenna.

batrastard

I utilize several antennas depending on what I have with me at any given time. I usually use a stubby race antenna or I will utilize a radio shack 800 mhz antenna or a longer antenna that I bought from radio shack several years ago. I have also utilized these antennas on long trips with no problem. I quit using the stock antenna shortly after I purchased the hp1.

batrastard

I don't have my antenna mounted outside of the car and I have never had a problem with reception. That said I am looking for an outside mounted antenna. I have one that I use with my radio shack digital scanner. Yes a brain fart, couldn't remember the number. I also drive a 99 chevy s-10 and I have also utilized the same antennas in a chevy venture and several rental cars that I have driven since I have had the hp1. I hve driven in the mountains, plains and deserts with these antennas with no problems.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

In cities an inside antenna in a mobile can be superior because it does not pick up as much interference, but the tradeoff is reduced performance on desired signals.

My van is metal most of the way around, so inside antennas would be highly directional for me.

I have an HP-1 that I have used mobile with GPS and an external scanner antenna and it works very well. My only complaint is that the maximum radius for frequency selection in GPS mode is 30 miles and I can actually receive transmissions from up to 50 miles away in the van.

lindsay34654

In cities an inside antenna in a mobile can be superior because it does not pick up as much interference, but the tradeoff is reduced performance on desired signals.

My van is metal most of the way around, so inside antennas would be highly directional for me.

I have an HP-1 that I have used mobile with GPS and an external scanner antenna and it works very well. My only complaint is that the maximum radius for frequency selection in GPS mode is 30 miles and I can actually receive transmissions from up to 50 miles away in the van.

am I missing something or is this a joke? you are complaining because your radius is 30 but you receive far better with 50 miles. So where is the complaint? and why would you use a GPS and an antenna that makes no sense.

bee

lindsay34654. Duh! I did not use a rubber duck antenna in a "CAR OR TRUCK"

I tried them outside of the vehical, and outside of the house, in the WIDE OPEN SPACES!!!

Can you figure this out?

k9jus

Premium Subscriber
oops....im so slow...it never donned on me to try an outside antenna. has made a world of difference. I do not have the unit set up with gps though.....I'll just increase the range.

one more thing? if a person were to leave the unit mounted in their vehicle all the time, has anyone experienced any issues with the touch screen due to the extreme hot and cold?

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
am I missing something or is this a joke? you are complaining because your radius is 30 but you receive far better with 50 miles. So where is the complaint? and why would you use a GPS and an antenna that makes no sense.

You're missing something. Traveling with the GPS hooked into the HP1 allows the user to make long distance (state-to-state) trips without having to turn systems on-and-off as they travel, the GPS feature will help do that for you.

Dave's issue is that while this is an extremely useful feature, he's sacrificing some communications in order to use the GPS.

k9jus

Premium Subscriber
i drive back and forth from louisville to southern il right now. I mainly want to listen to indiana and illinois state police anyway. I'll try it without gps for a while and see how it works out. I've got a glass mount antenna that i used to use for 2meter ham. i never took it off when i upgraded ham antennas because the only way to take it off was to destroy it. Looks like it's going to work out perfectly.

batrastard

I have left my hp1 in my vehicle without any issues with it operating properly. That is in the 100 degree weather we have had here in Colorado. In the winter I have not yet left it out in the car. I only recently obtained the proper mounting equipment.

Dewey

oops....im so slow...it never donned on me to try an outside antenna. has made a world of difference. I do not have the unit set up with gps though.....I'll just increase the range.

one more thing? if a person were to leave the unit mounted in their vehicle all the time, has anyone experienced any issues with the touch screen due to the extreme hot and cold?

i drive back and forth from louisville to southern il right now. I mainly want to listen to indiana and illinois state police anyway. I'll try it without gps for a while and see how it works out. I've got a glass mount antenna that i used to use for 2meter ham. i never took it off when i upgraded ham antennas because the only way to take it off was to destroy it. Looks like it's going to work out perfectly.

Do not be concerned about the uninformed "duh" comments. Using the HP-1 in a vehicle with a good rubber duck is no different than running a portable in a vehicle with a rubber duck, which many people are very satisfied with. The bigger issue is environment, and ducks in city/urban environments can be just as useful due to the normally stronger signals and smaller geographics of the larger cities compared to "out in the sticks". With that said, I have a feeling that you will benefit more if you explore the GPS option rather than the outside antenna option. Don't get me wrong, an outside antenna WILL increase your range of reception. However, looking at IL and IN state PD, I see that they are 700 & 800 trunked, and have many towers throughout the states. In your case, the GPS might do better because it will activate/deactive the closest sites (towers) as you travel in and out of their range. A GPS coupled with the glass mount antenna that you are now using might work wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.