996xt and GPS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasday

I'm loading information into freescan in anticipation of my 996xt arriving later this week. In doing so, I'm loading the gps information into it and it is selected as enabled. I'm not planning to get a gps soon. If I were to leave the gps enabled, and the 996xt doesn't have the gps connected, will it go ahead and scan the information or will it ignore it since it should be looking for its location?

Thanks, Jason

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
it should ignore the gps info. On startup, mine will scan everything that hasn't been locked out until the gps gets running and start sending data to the scanner.

Jeff.

N8DAD

Feed Provider
Gps

what type of GPS are u using with the 996XT, i have the same scanner and the 396XT
just wondered what kind you had?

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I'm using the GPS-18. Works pretty good, except inside my truck. In my last vehicle and my car, I had no problem sticking it on the dash. With the new truck ('11 dodge ram diesel), it works fine until I start moving, then it loses satellites. Had to mount it outside on the roof. The roof mount isn't a problem (the puck is weathertite), just had to figure out how to get the wiring done.

Anyway, I had a Deluo gps that I liked really well. It was a bit smaller than the gps-18 and it had a 6 or 8 pin connector (similar to a keyboard connector) between the db-9 and the puck. That made it a lot easier to install and made for smaller holes to find/make. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued. Sadly, my deluo didn't survive removal from my last car. The cable got stuck and pulled out.

Oh, I haven't hooked it up to my 396xt, yet. But I believe it requires a null modem adapter and a gender changer. Not totally sure about that, though.
Jeff.

jasday

Do you have any pics from the install? I have s 2010 RAM 1500 that I'm going to be installing the 996xt and rh96 in. Looking for install ideas. Do you have a center console or the flip down cup holders? Any help would be great. Everything I've found is an older model or one with the center console or a custom rack.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I'm not too familiar with the setup on the 1500's. I have a 3500 laramie with the center console. I think it's similar to the 1500's. I used to have an '08 2500 with the cup holders that flipped down from the dash. For that install I made a base unit that allowed me to mount it on the floor, I then mounted a ham radio "inside" the mount and my scanner on the top.

I'll see if I can get a few pics of the current setup and see how it does for you. BTW, I'm using one of the remote heads (rh-96) with the scanner remote mounted in the big center console.

Jeff.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
install pics

OK, here's the pics from my '11 3500 laramie.

Attachments

• IMG_0674 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0674 (640x480).jpg
    210 KB · Views: 1,399
  • IMG_0676 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0676 (640x480).jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 1,635
  • IMG_0677 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0677 (640x480).jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 1,066

jasday

Do you have any pics from the 2500? I've got the 1500 Longhorn edition with the flip down cup holders, no center console. Ive been thinking about putting the 996 into the flip up console as well. I've got the RH96, was delivered today, trying to plan this out and looking at other options other than putting the 996 under the seat. How easy was it to get to the posts to mount the gps?

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
And dp you have any heat issues with the scanner being locked up in the console?

no heat issues, so far. But then I don't live in Tx, either. I noticed they were a bit warm earlier this week, but not hot by any means. I've got vent ducts under both front seats and the jack under the pass. seat, although I could probably find a way to work around them, if I needed to relocate the radios.

I'll check to see if I have any pics from the '08. I don't think I do, but they might be on another computer.

Jeff.

jasday

Awesome, thank you. Yeah I think its too hot to put it in the console especially since our summer started in early June. The ac vents in the 1500 are at the base of the middle seat and the jack is moved out, so I think under the drivers seat will be best. Thank you for the help. Any other words of wisdom? Where did you get the power for the scanner and remote head?

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
i brought all the power in directly off the battery. It's got a big fuse up at the battery, then I split it off with smaller wires/fuses to got to the appropriate equipment.

On the 2500/3500 trucks, there is a plastic cover bolted on under the dash to the left of the steering column. It's only used with manual trans trucks, since I have an auto, it makes for a very good place to get wires in/out of the truck. I don't know if that's there on the 1500's though.

The gps-18 requires 5vdc, so I had to either use the cig lighter plug all the time (the cig lighter plug has a 5v converter in it) or come up with something else. I disassembled the plug and ran 12v straight into the plug, then stuffed the plug & wires all up under the dash.

Jeff.

jasday

Hey Jeff, quick question. Did you use the fuse box in the 2500? I looked into my fuse box and the fuses and relays are all used up, but according to the manual, there are relays in open spots that are not assigned to something. Are they just place keepers? I know that my truck did not come with all the accessories that it could have, and I wouldn't think that they have different fuse boxes for different trucks with different accessories.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
On any of my installs, I used power directly from the battery. If all you're going to be running is the 996 and gps, you could tap off the wire connected to the back of the cig lighter. I didn't use it because I'm also running the ham radio.

You can also use one of these to tap off just about any fuse, though I'd probably stick to using one for the power outlet or windows. That one's from autozone, I've seen them at Advance and O'reilly, too.

Cooper Bussmann/ATM fuse tap converts one into two fusible circuits - 10 Amps maximum on added circuit (BP-HHH-RP) | Fuse and Accessories | AutoZone.com

Jeff

jasday

Awesome, I just saw that on dodge forums. All ill be running at first is the 996xt and the rh96 and will add the gps later. So what I'm thinking is to run the 996xt under the seat to the console cig lighter and the rh96 to the dash cig lighter. Both of those only come on with ignition so I should be good. I was thinking i could use the blue wire clips, can't think of what they are called, but you put the two wires in. Push the metal down then close the cover and reattach the cig wire back.

Status
Not open for further replies.