396XT loose antenna connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The antenna connector on my 396XT rotates slightly and is wobbly. The problem is getting worse. I am assuming there would probably be some sort of nut inside the scanner that could be tightened? I was wondering if anyone has seen the inside of the 369, and could let me know this is a simple fix before I start tearing the case apart! :)

Paul

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I don't have a 396xt so I won't be much help other than to suggest trying to obtain the service manual for it from uniden? I hope you have better luck getting one, than I did for my pro-106?
Maybe uniden will be more forthcoming than GRE. :wink:

n9zas

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
That's the "nut" right on the top. Try a small pair of needle nose pliers and put one tip in each slot and tighten. Or if you have a large version of one of the two prong screwdirvers that come with a cell phone tool kit. They would fit over the connector and into the slots.

Actually taking asecond look that one just holds the plastic on. There is another one under that holding the connector to the chassis. You will need to pull it apart quite extensively to get at it but it's not that bad once you get in there.

Attachments

• IMAG0341 (800x450).jpg
    IMAG0341 (800x450).jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Just be careful not to ubgger the threads.

Attachments

• IMAG0344 (800x450).jpg
    IMAG0344 (800x450).jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 471
  • IMAG0343 (800x450).jpg
    IMAG0343 (800x450).jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 465

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The whole lug can be rotated slightly to the left and to the right, as well as in a circular motion against the hole in the chassis plastic.. It stops hard in each direction, so it is not a tightening problem. I guess I will have to tear the lil bugger apart!

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I feel insulted that everyone thinks I am too stupid to operate a threaded connection!

Paul

gewecke

Banned
I feel insulted that everyone thinks I am too stupid to operate a threaded connection!

Paul

Uh... I didn't think that at all? If I did it wasn't intended.
We were just trying to help.

n9zas

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I'll have you know I worked on the O ring design for the space shuttle, I know what I'm doing! :)

Paul

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber

Paul

I'll have you know I worked on the O ring design for the space shuttle, I know what I'm doing! :)

Paul
Well I will be sure and check for your lofty credentials before I open the case of my scanner to try and help. Like I am supposed to know that.

SC^$W YOU!!!:roll::roll:

How's that O-ring workin' out for ya!!!!

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
The whole lug can be rotated slightly to the left and to the right, as well as in a circular motion against the hole in the chassis plastic.. It stops hard in each direction, so it is not a tightening problem. I guess I will have to tear the lil bugger apart!

Paul
In case anybody who is not a space shuttle scientist is interested, this is what you will find inside. The nut on top of the chassis (on upper side and not in view here) can come loose and allow the connector to rotate slightly in each direction until the flat spot on one side of it contacts the flange on the chassis, thereby stopping hard.

It would be wise to rectify this tightness problem before it works the connection loose on the PCB.

Attachments

• IMAG0345 (800x450).jpg
    IMAG0345 (800x450).jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 429

gewecke

Banned

Paul

Well I guess your people skills weren't required huh?
You can just have the boys at NASA fix your scanner for you then.

n9zas

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I assume I just remove the back screws and it opens up like you see in your pictures?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Paul

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber

I assume I just remove the back screws and it opens up like you see in your pictures?

Paul
After that, you need to take out the six silver screws inside to separate the front half of the case from the guts. Watch out for the speaker wires when you take the front half off, they are pretty short and small.

rbm

I bought a tool like the one in this photo a few years ago.
It was money well spent.

You can find them on ebay for around $9 shipped.

Search for: x-key tool

Rich

Attachments

• Radio_Repair_Tool.JPG
    Radio_Repair_Tool.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 492

gewecke

Banned

Paul

Please don't be a jerk to us next time! :mad:

n9zas

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

Paul

It's truly amazing that none of you in this thread picked up on his sarcasm. Not once did I think he was being ungrateful for the advice and help, or being a jerk. Some of you seriously need to get your sarcasm and humor meters calibrated, and relax (especially you, gewecke). :roll:

gewecke

Banned
It's truly amazing that none of you in this thread picked up on his sarcasm. Not once did I think he was being ungrateful for the advice and help, or being a jerk. Some of you seriously need to get your sarcasm and humor meters calibrated, and relax (especially you, gewecke). :roll:

Maybe it was sarcasm, but he still ranked way up there on my jerk-meter from the way he replied!
I deal with people like this every day, so a little gratitude would be a surprise!:evil:

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.