Now that GRE is Closing, will Uniden innovate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryton

As i'm sure most have heard, GRE is shutting down. I have always been a Uniden fan, but it does make you wonder with no competition, will the scanner development stagnate? I certainly hope not.

scannersnstuff

this is the exact same question that everyone thats serious about the gre demise is asking. even in the past when there was not too much serious scanner competition,uniden stepped up to the plate.
although i've said it many time's before, while not being scanner brand loyal, i really hope uniden pulls it off again. on a more pessimistic note, i still think that this is one of the indicators of our hobby dying a slow and painful death.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tryton

Unfortunately pdfdems, you speak the truth. We seem to be the last of a dying hobby, with a ton of public safety going full ENC. I still believe there is still a need of a Scanner radio for the public, Hopefully Uniden will rise up and give us the scanner that will satisfy our button loving P25 Phase 2 lust :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Uniden remains committed to the Scanner business. We continue to invest in R&D to update our existing product line, and are actively developing new and exciting products for the future. We will not ease off just because the competitive environment has gotten a little easier. You can continue to look forward to great things from Uniden.

daneg

Uniden remains committed to the Scanner business. We continue to invest in R&D to update our existing product line, and are actively developing new and exciting products for the future. We will not ease off just because the competitive environment has gotten a little easier. You can continue to look forward to great things from Uniden.

I hope they show us something soon, that is an upgrade from the 996XT. MY area goes P25 in 2014. It's to be Phase 1. However I think they could go Phase 2 right away.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
We seem to be the last of a dying hobby...
With the exception of the encryption issue, I disagree.

Back in the 1990's when public safety started moving to trunked systems, scanner hobbyists predicted the end of the hobby. Luckily, a few smart individuals figured out how to track trunked systems and Uniden brought that technology to market. Yes, Uniden.

The issue now is marketability. Given that decoding (not decrypting) digital systems is a niche market, Uniden (and anybody who wants to compete with them) will have to decide whether or not it's worth their resources to develop new products that can decode NXDN, DMR, D-Star, etc. Us scanner enthusiasts will have to show Uniden that it's worth it.

SCPD

QRT
Radio Shack To Start Selling Uniden Scanners

Mike--I would have to say YES if they want to remain in the catagory. I don't think the scanner business is their main core anymore. I know this for a fact..at least in my region which is Lower Westchester County, NY. Their Yonkers Store in the newly renovated Cross County Shopping Center is probably their #1 volume store next to the other one on Central Avenue in Northeast Yonkers.

73's

StephenVa

Thank you!

nanZor

I think Uniden is quite healthy. I was astounded that they brought out a conventional non-dma BC125AT, when they could have easily just gone status quo with their older 72/95xlt line for years to come.

To make a commitment to a conventional product in this day and age blew my mind, which wasn't just a slap-dash warmup of old stuff was pretty impressive.

Tryton

Thank You Upman for those words of encouragement! I have always bought the "Bearcat" brand, besides quality of the produce, it's also nostalgic for me. I really hope to see a new 996xt Type scanner than can decode P25 better as well as Phase 2. Thanks again for chiming in Paul!:D

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
WHERE is it stated anywhere that GRE is shutting down??
Details please?

n9zas

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
As i'm sure most have heard, GRE is shutting down. I have always been a Uniden fan, but it does make you wonder with no competition, will the scanner development stagnate? I certainly hope not.

Where does your information come from?
This is news to me.

n9zas

mule1075

Feed Provider

Thanks Paul.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I should also add (here on a home turf thread) that I am sincerely saddened by the news, as well. Beyond losing a formidable competitor, I am personal friends with many of the folks at GRE and wish only the best for their future.

SCPD

QRT
UPMan, real CLASS on your behalf, in another post I hope and pray for those affected by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.