HomePatrol Virtual Control with Web Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
HPe-rc, a cross-platform command-line utility for the HomePatrol Extreme, has been updated to include web browser-based virtual control. There is a Web UI demo at YouTube and documentation/downloads are available from the HPe-rc homepage.

I don't know if you are the author of this program but if you are kudos to you as
it works very well on Windows XP. I am getting ready to install it on my Linux partition
as well as see if I can come up with any bugs on that side of the computer :)
Here is a look at my HP through the program:
vJ3El.png

Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

cuppa-joe

Feed Provider
I don't know if you are the author of this program but if you are kudos to you as
it works very well on Windows XP. I am getting ready to install it on my Linux partition
as well as see if I can come up with any bugs on that side of the computer :)
Here is a look at my HP through the program:

Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks for the kudos and the screenshot. Any bug reports and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the kudos and the screenshot. Any bug reports and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Great start, Using Win 7 64 bit here...

It seems a little erratic on IE 9 but much better on Firefox and Chrome.

bgav

Awesome job! Works great in Chrome on a touch-screen Dell Vostro running Win 7 64-bit. The web interface/control is incredible.

Have you considered making the web interface more touch-friendly (larger targets for hold, next/previous, avoid) for controlling on tablets, iOS devices? Make those button sizes the same as the top row? Awesome capabilities for using an iPhone/iPad, etc as a remote head. Dare I say iOS app :)?

FFAA646B-F6AA-4972-835E-5643B9F31E41-2014-00000146E9F47B5E_zps3a07a33a.jpg

Last edited:

cuppa-joe

Feed Provider
Awesome job! Works great in Chrome on a touch-screen Dell Vostro running Win 7 64-bit. The web interface/control is incredible.

Have you considered making the web interface more touch-friendly (larger targets for hold, next/previous, avoid) for controlling on tablets, iOS devices? Make those button sizes the same as the top row? Awesome capabilities for using an iPhone/iPad, etc as a remote head. Dare I say iOS app :)?

Switchable "skins" are in the works, and a portrait format is on the top of the list. Since Santa is bringing me a tablet, I'll be able to get a better feel for making everything more tablet-friendly.

Thanks much for the comments and screenshot.

JASII

Memory Capacity
HomePatrol Virtual Control With Web Browser

So, what would be a typical application for this? Would it be to have your Uniden Home Patrol set up at home and then listen remotely from work or something along those lines?

NYRHKY94

JASII:

If I understand it correctly, Audio is not streamed using this program. It simply allows you to see a representation of the HP-1 screen and then controll it via a web interface. I'm playing with it now. See below:

Attachments

• HPe-rc.jpg
    HPe-rc.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,553

JASII

Memory Capacity
HomePatrol Virtual Control With Web Browser

Well, I had sort of kicked around the idea of audio streaming via my SlingBox PRO-HD, BUT that wouold not have allowed me to do control. I suppose a person coould use this for control and then SlingBox for audio!

bgav

I've been playing around with a bit more on my touchscreen Dell Vostro. Full screen in Opera with the page size increased using the slider, it makes an awesome full size (23") display with touchscreen control for the shack or dispatch center.

HPe-RCOperaFullScreen_zps4abac351.jpg

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Just found the screen capture option for the Home Patrol screen in the HPe-rc utility. Pretty cool!

Sure does help explaining to others when they are having trouble finding items in the menu system, or trying to give others step by step instructions, etc.

HP1_SCREEN_0001.jpg

Gitsum

Premium Subscriber
Friggin sweet man! Thanks!
Oh, by the way, UNIDEN, how come you didn't offer something like this first after people payed $600??
Maybe you should hire "cuppa-joe" to do some programming for you.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Friggin sweet man! Thanks!
Oh, by the way, UNIDEN, how come you didn't offer something like this first after people payed $600??
Maybe you should hire "cuppa-joe" to do some programming for you.

My guess would be that Uniden would rather put money towards future
R&D and let talented folks like Grommert of Butel, or Assaf (of Freescan),
or Cuppa-Joe write software and decide if they wish to offer their software for
free or for a fee. You could say that Uniden is supporting the independent software
developer market that gives you many choices instead of forcing you to buy software only from them :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Gitsum

Premium Subscriber
When Uniden R&D's hardware, I'm sure they know what it is capable of.
So what I'm saying is that Uniden is holding back, perhaps looking for another "Extreme Upgrade" to release for more money.
Just like iPhones. Before they release the iPhone 3, they already have designed the iPhone 5. It's a recurring revenue scheme that keeps the money coming in, which is good for the manufacturer, but pisses off the consumer!
Cuisinart went out of business because they made a product that lasted forever. No one ever needed to buy another. Case in point.
I wish Cuisinart would make a car. :)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
When Uniden R&D's hardware, I'm sure they know what it is capable of.
So what I'm saying is that Uniden is holding back, perhaps looking for another "Extreme Upgrade" to release for more money.

Of course they know what it is capable of, and they aren't "holding back" the info used for this.

Uniden have provided all the control specifications and the serial communication protocols for the Home Patrol free to all for download here:

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/HomePatrol/TechnicalDocs

If you had the programming know-how, you could have come up with the screen capture yourself!

bgav

Just found the screen capture option for the Home Patrol screen in the HPe-rc utility. Pretty cool!

Sure does help explaining to others when they are having trouble finding items in the menu system, or trying to give others step by step instructions, etc.

View attachment 39634

Yet another awesome feature! I've been playing around with the audio feed option, very slick.
Where do the screencaps go (folder location?). I tried taking a few, heard the HP-1 beep but couldn't find the screencaps.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Switchable "skins" are in the works, and a portrait format is on the top of the list. Since Santa is bringing me a tablet, I'll be able to get a better feel for making everything more tablet-friendly.

Thanks much for the comments and screenshot.

cuppa-joe....

Just curious, haven't heard much lately. Anything new in the works?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.