HP-1 database contains D-Star entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
The other day my HP-1 stopped on a D-Star repeater. I thought these would not be included in the database since they are not able to be received?

USA>PA>Allegheny>Repeaters - Digital>North Hills ARC D-Star VHF

Info in my HP-1 says "This channel carries Analog and Digital traffic. It is a Ham channel, normally used for any amateur radio assignment"

AUTO Modulation

Shouldn't this be excluded similar to how X2/Phase II are?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You answered your own question. I would imagine it got included because this frequency does carry analog traffic as well as DStar...Mike

redbeard

Database Admin
It's a D-Star repeater...there is no analog. I know this from the radio club's website. I thought that was the case of all of them, no mixed mode.

The analog/digital statement was in my HP-1. I do not know where it came from but it's not true.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Our local D-Star repeater (no analog since D-Star doesn't do analog) is also included in the HP's database.

Seems to also include NXDN as well.

I'm guessing Uniden isn't filtering these entries out when it massages the RR database.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Or they may know nothing about DStar since it's primarily an amateur mode - someone should tell UPMan about that. Mike

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Of course we know about D-Star. Is the channel actually tagged that way in the dB or is it just a comment in the channel description? We can't filter by the "free text" input, only by the channel mode settings (so if it says FM for mode, but a comment says it is D*Star, it is going to be loaded).

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Checking further, NEXEDGE conventional frequencies are also showing up in the HP-1/Sentinel database as "AUTO" modulation.

TRBO conventional frequencies are being correctly filtered out.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I don't recall having seen D*STAR mode channels before...I wonder if this was relatively recently added to the schema. I'll check our filtering next week when I get back to the office.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Paul, according to Mantis, D-STAR mode was added by Lindsay on January 14, 2010. I'm not sure when NEXEDGE mode was added.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The Uniden Home Patrol Hp-1 will not decode the D-star ham radio repeaters.

Yes, Tim, we already know that. This thread is discussing the issue of D-STAR and NEXEDGE conventional entries not being filtered out of the HP-1's database.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to recall (it has been a while), but there were some complaints when we were filtering out some of those types because we had many reports that the repeaters were actually mixed mode. They would work with analog users, but also w/D*Star. I might have turned off those filters intentionally (but after a couple of years...I might be mixing details from different events).

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Understandable, but that's really something that should be addressed on our side of things. If a particular frequency is being used in mixed-mode, then two entries should be created. This is no different than the way we treat public safety frequencies that are mixed-mode analog and P25.

6.2.5.6. FREQUENCY MODES

When adding or editing conventional frequencies, you must specify the “mode” in which the frequency is used. If multiple modes are used on a given frequency, create a separate frequency entry for each mode with an appropriate description.

If there are ham repeaters out there that are mixed-mode, then the DB Admins responsible for those counties need to make sure they create two entires for them.

redbeard

Database Admin
Understandable, but that's really something that should be addressed on our side of things. If a particular frequency is being used in mixed-mode, then two entries should be created. This is no different than the way we treat public safety frequencies that are mixed-mode analog and P25.

If there are ham repeaters out there that are mixed-mode, then the DB Admins responsible for those counties need to make sure they create two entires for them.

In fact I set up the Carnegie Mellon P25 UHF machine on the same page just that way. But yes, d-star is not mixed mode.

Yay I found a bug! Thanks for paying attention UPMan.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Definitely a good find! I'm a little surprised no one noticed it earlier.

redbeard

Database Admin
Good find on the NXDN as well! I was equally as surprised when my HP-1 started blasting out digital noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.