Yet another 396XT question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Does the 396XT have the same built in "Discriminator Tap" that works with UniTrunker that the 996XT does? I never knew this about the 996XT until today when I was searching whether or not I could have a Discriminator Tap put into my 396XT. And if so just how do I go about accessing it and using this feature with UniTrunker? Basically if this is true I need someone to set me on the path and learn something new!

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's not a discriminator tap, it's a control channel data dump through the serial port. The 346XT, 15X, 396XT and 996XT all have this feature. The analog models work with Motorola, EDACS and LTR systems, the digital models add P25 support. Motorola decoding using this method is not very reliable, especially if you don't have a very strong, clear control channel signal to decode.

vindictive42

Premium Subscriber
discriminator tap

I copied this when I did a search(little box in upper right hand corner of page that says search) for discriminator tap. Hope this helps

UniTrunker - auto-detects and decodes the control channel data for APCO Project 25, Motorola, EDACS, EDACS ESK, and MPT-1327 systems. Limited support for LTR. GRE PSR-500 / PSR-600 and Radio Shack Pro-106 / Pro-197 and Uniden BC346XT / BCD396XT / BCD996XT do not require discriminator tap (Unitrunker can use the PC/IF data stream output from these radios via the programming cable). All other radios require discriminator tap.

As the last line says....DOES NOT REQUIRE DISCRIMINATOR TAP......USES OUTPUT FROM PROGRAMMING CABLE.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I use both Unitrunker and Trunk88 with my 396XT/996XT to view VIPER system activity here in NC.
I prefer Trunk88 because it gives me all the info in one screen but to each their own.
Hmm...looks as though someone made it far enough into NC for VIPER Comms :D:cool:

V1CSL.jpg

Happy Holidays to all
Marshall KE4ZNR

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Excellent screen shot KE4!!! Looks like the Red Guy is gettin around.'

I love T88.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.