Uniden bearcat 210

Status
Not open for further replies.

astark

I'm new to the forum and scanners as well, and may have just made a mistake.

I purchased a new in the box Uniden Bearcat 210 which was manufactured here in the US way back in 1980. I have not yet received it but heard it may not work because not much is broadcast anymore on the frequencies it was designed for back then.

Am I going to be able to use this scanner in todays modern world and if so for what. Anything anyone can tell me about this model would be appreciated.

Thanks

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Well, it's a classic for sure. The bands it covers are still busy, though it lacks the 800 mHz band. VHF-LO should work fine. Ham bands will work fine. Straight FM will work OK. Narrowband transmitters will have less volume on this radio. It only goes up to 512 Mhz and of course, no trunking or digital. What you can listen to largely depends on where you are located and what your interests are.

If you're new to the hobby, it's a start.

astark

Thank you for the response Dave, I currently have a Radio Shack Pro 89 that was given to me and I can listen to police transmissions on 154.980, will my new old Bearcat 210 be able to get that as well.

Also, I hear them say switch to high band or low band, or go to tack three sometimes and was wondering what that means.

Again, thank you.

Bearcat 210

I purchased a new in the box Uniden Bearcat 210 which was manufactured here in the US way back in 1980. I have not yet received it but heard it may not work because not much is broadcast anymore on the frequencies it was designed for back then.

There was a 210XL and a 210 XLT. I owned one in the 80's but honestly don't know where it went.

TAC = Tactical, and just indicates that they are moving to some other frequency.

Switching to High Band would also indicate moving to some known High Band frequency.

It would help to know what area you are in - OR, try to locate frequencies in the database for your area:
Arkansas Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I loved that radio. It became obsolete to me as agencies started using the 800 Frequencies.

Keep the box!

astark

Thanks Doc, and I have kind of a stupid question, but if answered would help me to understand.

When I'm picking up 154.980 does that mean I'm at 154.980 mHz and well below the 512 mHz limit my Bearcat 210 has that Dave was talking about.

I live in Independence County Arkansas and looked at the frequency reference you posted and I'm hoping my new scanner will be capable of picking up all listed there.

Thanks again.

W9NES

I have a Bearcat 210 in the communications center. It is still usefull for Ham Radio,Railroads, Weather, MURS, GMRS, This would be a great scanner to KEEP and use it.Just learn how to search the bands and you will find plenty to keep the radio active for you in your area.

Getting Started

I have a Bearcat 210 in the communications center.

I agree. I had mine running in my own Communications Center, and being in Connecticut, ironically I called it the "Northeast Communications Center". Small World! My parents told me to stop calling it that because they were concerned over Zoning Violations. I had 2 scanners, a 23 channel CB, tower on the house with rotary antenna, a rotary desk phone, cassette recorder on a foot pedal and an intercom to a microphone in a flower pot at the front door. We're talkin' Communications!

Back on track.... Keep in mind the 210 has a built in telescoping antenna, and the external antenna requires a Motorola connection like car radios have. I'm willing to bet once you get it going, you'll want more.

You're in the right place for information and advice.

Good luck!

k3cfc

Silent Key
I'm new to the forum and scanners as well, and may have just made a mistake.

Am I going to be able to use this scanner in todays modern world and if so for what. Anything anyone can tell me about this model would be appreciated.

Thanks
Make sure you are grounded when you put the antenna in. pull it up and put a straw over it because if you static shock the antenna you can't get it repaired. the first if amp was made by Motorola it is a secret and there is no information on it. this was an agrement between Electra bearcat and Motorola.

W9NES

Yes 154.980 Mhz is one and the same. I have had the Northwest Communications Center for over 40 years. I live in Northwest Marion County,Indiana/Metro Indianapolis.

k3cfc

Silent Key
I have one of these bought it new when they first came out $300.00 i still have it. it works just fine today. i use it for non essential monitoring. i put a piece of vacuum hose over the antenna so not to shock it. the first if is a chip ic under another ic and some of the pins are soldered together put in a plastic box and filled with epoxy. no parts are available anymore so be ware.

NYRHKY94

Astark:

I have a Uniden Bearcat 210XLT which is still in active use today. Love the old slanted front firing speaker and great audio. Like everyone else has said, you will be limited to standard analog stuff on VHF/UHF with the 210. It also does not cover the airband, which is why I bought the 210XLT back in 1987. If you need it, the user manual for the 210 is on-line here:

RadioPics Database - Bearcat/Uniden - Bearcat 210

By the way, I was recently watching an Ebay auction for a new 210 in the box and was tempted to bid on it. If that's the one you bought, it was in great shape!

Mike

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
The 210 was a great radio.. was my 1st programable scanner. I miss those Rolling Red Zeros..lol

1 thing to remember on the UHF side.. some of the early models didn't go down low enough to enter 410.000 to 420.000mhz (they only started at 430.000). up here in Montreal Fire used to be on 412.7625 mhz .. to hear it on the 210 we had to add 21.6 to the true freq. making it 434.3625 mhz. Which ended up working fine..
Enjoy your radio...its a great old unit.

astark

Thanks for all the replies guys, and that was probably the same one you saw on ebay Mike, I got it for fifty seven dollars and change. I would never have thought about static effecting the antenna when installing or adjusting it, that's good to know. Its also good to know that I will be able to pick up some stuff on it, and I'm getting pretty excited about setting it up and I'm fixing to go look at that user manual posted above.

DJ88

One thing you need to know is that the 210 does not allow you to program CTCSS (PL) or DCS (DPL) tones, which means if there is another agency(s) within receiving distance of your scanner that uses 154.9800 or any other frequencies you have programmed, you will also hear those agencies. CTCSS and DCS prevents this. Here's an explanation of what I'm talking about.
Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NYRHKY94

@DJ88:

I see you also have the Bearcat 210XLT! I got mine new at Radio Shack in 1987 and it's still in active use today in my shack. Clean as a whistle and great audio. Your point about the lack of PL is right on the money, but I love my old Bearcat :)

Mike

DJ88

@DJ88:

I see you also have the Bearcat 210XLT! I got mine new at Radio Shack in 1987 and it's still in active use today in my shack. Clean as a whistle and great audio. Your point about the lack of PL is right on the money, but I love my old Bearcat :)

Mike

It was my second scanner. First one was a Panasonic 20 channel programmable, which I no longer have. The 210 is retiired, like me, as I really don't have any use for it anymore. It's a good unit and served me well in it's day. And, you're right about the audio. The older Uniden models had much better audio than the newer ones have. The audio on my 785D, and on an 898T that I sold, blows the newer ones out of the water. Really crappy speakers in the newer ones.

k3cfc

Silent Key
Speaking of audio i would run my scanner through one side of an add on car stereo amp along with a hefty speaker and you could hear it 60 mph and 4 windows down.

Status
Not open for further replies.