FT1D - the new digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

havmedic26

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone speak on Uniden's 396XT / 996XT ability to receive the new digital modulation that will be produced by the Yeasu FT1D, when it becomes available to the public? For those not familiar with the FT1D, it boasts the same modulation as P25 digital (C4FM / FDMA). The problem appears to be that (According to 1 user) the timing is different from the P25 protocol. According to a 2nd user, the order of the data in the stream is different from the P25 protocol. Would those scanners be able to figure that out and decode the transmission?

As a side note (that I should probably know since i have the radios and the scanners), will the two scanners listed above decode Icom's "D-Star" digital protocol?

Thanks again,

Jt

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
1) Probably not. The scanner decodes P25, not "something like P25" :)

2) No.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

No to all questions. Although the YAEsu uses C4FM it is not the same as P25. If you search for the other threads on the radio you will see that the radios are not compatible with ANY other digital radio on the market. D-Star uses GMSK which is completely different than C4FM.

havmedic26

Premium Subscriber
FT1D

In regards to the FT1D, it the difference is as described (very few people in the US have touched the US version of this radio) and the difference is a timing routine (BAD flashbacks to programming X9000's!), then couldn't a firmware update address this? If the difference is that the data bits are in a different order in the data stream, the same solution applies? Perhaps the question would be one of consumer demand, which may be low : (

The poor design associated with this great idea for a radio is that there is no infrastructure in place and no incentive to put it there. Compare this radio (with currently no other users, perhaps a few in the future, no repeaters for a portable radio, and a lack of compatibility with anything other than FM) with any of the P25 radios, or a D-Star radio (which even D-Star has limited resources, but great capabilities), why would anyone chose the FT1D, except to have every radio possible.

Even P25 has had very poor implementation in the USA. Canada seems to be the gold standard for making use of P25's capabilities. D-Star has even greater capabilities, particularly when combined with APRS, than P25 and yet we are seeing less infrastructure, presumably due to less usage.

W2NJS

havmedic26 wrote above:

"Even P25 has had very poor implementation in the USA."

You're kidding, right? As I sit here I am surrounded by multiple PS agencies, as well as Federal agencies, who are at this moment using 700 mHz and 800 mHz trunked P25 systems, as well as at least five local ham repeaters that employ P25 technology. I don't want to sound harsh, but I must ask where did you come up with the idea that P25 has had what you call "poor implementation" in the USA.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Nationally DSTAR is MUCH more prevalent than P25 for ham uses...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

rdale said:
Nationally DSTAR is MUCH more prevalent than P25 for ham uses...

Agreed. There is VERY little amatuer P25 in Canada. And even less TRBO, while there is a fair amount of D-Star. My club as the complete D-Star stack, but I have never gotten an interest in it. I would rather see DMR here. More manufacturers and I like the ease if linking, something MUCH more difficult to do with P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.