Cables needed for Home Patrol GPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tafkam

Hello, if this question has been covered please let me know but I did search before posting:

I am planning on getting a Home Patrol 1 and I would like to be able to use it with GPS. Basically, I want to know exactly what I need to use the GPS function. I have checked the owners manual (nothing there at all) as well as this forum and doing a Google search, and I have found some info but nothing with a complete answer. I have read that these will work: Amazon.com: Garmin 18x PC GPS Navigator Unit: GPS & Navigation this is a Garmin, not sure if it is the equivalent of Uniden BC-GPSK Amazon.com: Uniden BC-GPSK Serial GPS Receiver for Scanner and Marine Products: GPS & Navigation and I also saw that in addition to one of these I may need this cable GPS Cable for Uniden DMA Scanner and Marine Products - Accessories at Uniden
I ALSO read somewhere that I may need a null male to male gender changer. Is this in addition to one or more of the above cables?​
. I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 3550 but I read that the Home Patrol will not work with it. I do have an older Nuvi 350 and read somewhere that the HP will work with it but I would need a cable . I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 3550 but I read that the Home Patrol will not work with it. I do have an older Nuvi 350 and read somewhere that the HP will work with it but I would need a cable https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/...ucts_id=114&osCsid=2nthscltd4k1frc22d7cnl74b3 but since this is $48 I think I would rather go with a “puck” type GPS.​
I understand that Uniden may not be coming out with a replacement for the Home Patrol anytime soon, and they do not give out info about what the next generation will have as far as connections, but in my limited knowledge of tech type things I thought that the serial cables were no longer in use. I don’t know of any GPS units that have them (at least not any of the “big 3” Garmin, TomTom and Magellan) so I wonder if the next generation of Home Patrol will offer some other connection then serial cable, or is there a reason why a serial can be used?​
Any help would be much appreciated, I want to make sure I only order the bare minimum of what I would need, either using my old Nuvi 350 as well as not using it.​
Thanks​
Mike​

tafkam

Thanks David, I forgot that there are all different kinds of GPS units. I should have said most AUTOMOTIVE GPS units (or maybe I am wrong there too?) I just don't see many serial cable anything these days.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
That's right. Most automotive type do not have a serial cable and don't even output NMEA data so that type is useless for the most part.

The puck is pretty much the best option.

tafkam

David,

I had already looked at that thread that that is partially why I was (and am to some extent) so confused because there were a lot of cables mentioned, and strangely enough the cable that is listed that supposedly will work, with no adapters, is a Garmin! So Uniden does not make one for their own scanner? BUT if this is the one thing that I need, with no other adapters or cables necessary then this is the one for me. If anyone can confirm please do so.....I just want to make sure I get it right the first time and don't end up having to return anything....

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=162

kbehning

Premium Subscriber
Mike,

I just went through this last week.

I got the Homepatrol and the Garmin 18x PC puck. The cable that is needed to go from the Garmin (or Uniden) GPS to the Homepatrol is the one that you referenced on the uniden site, however its out of stock there. Keep close watch on that part number if you have to order one from a scanner shop (BWZG1844001). I say that because the GPS cable is almost the same as the standard serial cable that comes with the BCD996XT and BCD396XT. Some scanner shops actually have the standard serial cable listed as the GPS, and that is false. The part number of the standard serial cable (non GPS) is BWZY1227001.
You can use the standard scanner serial cable that comes with the 996XT and 396XT scanners IF you add a null modem and male-male gender changer.
Since I have the 996XT and 396XT, I just use the cable that came with one of those along with the null modem adapter and gender changer. Here is a cool combination null modem/gender changer that is just what is needed to use the standard serial cable from the 396XT or 996XT:
Amazon.com: 9-Pin DB9 Male to Male Mini Null Modem Adapter NULL-A-9MM: Computers & Accessories

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yes, Argent Data is making a custom cable for the Garmin GPS-18x PC. I don't know how their cable attaches to the GPS unit, but the photo in their store looks like the cable is all one piece with a molded "blob" where the connections are made.

tafkam

KB and W9, thank you both I appreciate the info. I do not have another scanner like the 996XT and 396XT and I take it that using whatever cable comes with those is where we get into the null modem and male to male adapter?

I guess easiest way then is to use the Argent Data cable with no other cables or adapters needed, or the second choice would be the Garmin 18x PC or Uniden BC-GPSK, both of which appear to have female serial connections, so in addition to one of those I would need the

adapter cable BWZG1844001 wjhich OI thnk has a male serial cable and the other end is the type that plugs directly info the Home Patrol. Since it appears that the BWZG1844001 is out of stock on a lot of sites I took a look at, it would probably make the most sense, as being most cost effective, if I just get the Argent cable. Does it sound like I have this right now? No wonder I was a bit confused, it appears that there are multiple ways to do this, not one like I had assumed when I started looking at GPS for the home patrol.

Mike

kbehning

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you only get into the null modem and gender changer when you try to use a cable that is for a different purpose (ie the 396/996 serial data cable that is made to talk to a PC, not a GPS).

I think you understand it now. The easiest way to do this would be to get the argent data all-in-one solution. However, I would like the ability to use the GPS for other purposes, so I'd go with individual items. It looks like the Argent Data product has actually melded the 2 cables together so there is no 9 pin DSUB inline.

Here are your options:

Argent Data all in one solution
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=162

or

Garmin GPS 18x PC / or / Uniden GPS
WITH
Uniden GPS cable BWZG1844001

or

Garmin GPS 18x PC / or / Uniden GPS
WITH
Uniden Serial Data Cable BWZY1227001 (order it or use from 396XT/996XT)
WITH
Male-Female Null Modem Adapter AND Male-Male Gender Changer
{This is what I'm doing since I have the 396XT and 996XT cables already}

Another option for the Null Modem/Gender changer combo is the amazon link I provided as a combined unit.

That about sums it up for the puck GPS solutions. Just beware that someone reported buying the Uniden GPS cable from a scanner shop and getting the Serial Data cable, so they needed the null modem and gender changers in the end anyways.

tafkam

kbehning,

Thanks again for your help, yes I do understand now I just wanted confirmation that my options were correct, and it looks like they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.