BCD996XT - P25 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBWayzata

Premium Subscriber
I know that you do no need all the frequences in a simulcast to have it scan, only the primary and secondary control channels. I have been using a few of the programs and messing around with them to see which I like more and I noticed some have the ability to only import the CC's and not the rest of the simulcast. But Pro Scan does not have this option and you have to import all the frequencies.

My question: Is there a benefit to having all the frequencies or would this be a disadvantage and take away from P25 decoding?

Probably doesn't matter but I am listening to Minnesota ARMER system: Hennepin County East Simulcast, Minneapolis North and South Simulcast, Minneapolis City Center Simulcast, and Dakota County Simulcast.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
I understand and share your frustration. My pro96 only requires the control channels and steers the radio accordingly per talkgroup. My bcd396xt does the same but it misses a lot of the action that the pro96 picks up on. I've been wondering the same thing as well.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I know that you do no need all the frequences in a simulcast to have it scan, only the primary and secondary control channels. I have been using a few of the programs and messing around with them to see which I like more and I noticed some have the ability to only import the CC's and not the rest of the simulcast. But Pro Scan does not have this option and you have to import all the frequencies.

My question: Is there a benefit to having all the frequencies or would this be a disadvantage and take away from P25 decoding?

Probably doesn't matter but I am listening to Minnesota ARMER system: Hennepin County East Simulcast, Minneapolis North and South Simulcast, Minneapolis City Center Simulcast, and Dakota County Simulcast.

ProScan does have the option "Import Control Channels Only". It's on the RR Import window above the Import button.

On the XT series scanners, there is no site option for Control Channels Only as the scanner will only use the Control Channels. Can't be changed.

See the following post by UPMan
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/150154-upman-396xt-question-please.html#post1104437

Last edited:

JBWayzata

Premium Subscriber
ProScan does have the option "Import Control Channels Only". It's on the RR Import window above the Import button.

I see that the Import control channels only when I have Motorola system type selected, but when I have P25 standard trunk selected the option for importing control channels only goes away.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I see that the Import control channels only when I have Motorola system type selected, but when I have P25 standard trunk selected the option for importing control channels only goes away.

Click the "Retrieve Data" button and then once the data is retrieved from the RR database, the "Import Control Channels Only" option will appear normal.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There's only one thing to be gained by programming all of the frequencies associated with a site (or sites in a simulcast system). That being if there's a change to the system and a voice channel is becomes a control channel, you'd still be able to receive the system. The odds of this happening are exceedingly remote.

Having said that, there is another condition and the odds of this happening are even more remote. There could be a trunking system controller failure. If that happens the trunking system goes into a "Failsoft" configuration. See: Failsoft - The RadioReference Wiki

If a person wanted to, they could program their favorite system as a conventional system just in case (locking it out until that July snow happens). All of the frequencies would need to be programmed because they are subject to being used in the Failsoft configuration. Unfortunately, programming a scanner for doing this isn't something that can be done through a data import.

(There's a side benefit of this too. If someone is having trouble receiving a trunked system, turning on the conventional/failsoft programming is a good diagnostic tool. If you can hear it as a conventional system you know the system is "on the air" and it is received.)

JBWayzata

Premium Subscriber
Click the "Retrieve Data" button and then once the data is retrieved from the RR database, the "Import Control Channels Only" option will appear normal.

Maybe it just does not show up with this system?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,198

JBWayzata

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for you input!

Proscan, am I missing something here or should there be an option for CC only?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for you input!

Proscan, am I missing something here or should there be an option for CC only?

Your right. For importing P25 systems to the 396XT and 996XT, the option wasn't in. It is now. Thanks for advising me.

Status
Not open for further replies.