Using A Garmin Nuvi With A Uniden Scanner For GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As some readers here may recall, I have posted in the past about using a Garmin Nuvi 350 with a Uniden Home Patrol HP-1 for GPS scanning. When I first started looking for a compatible GPS I checked here Uniden Scanner GPS Features - The RadioReference Wiki and saw a list of GPS receivers. But then I recalled reading that some amateur radio operators had bought an Argent GTRANS Garmin to NMEA Translator Cable GTRANS Garmin to NMEA Translator Cable (D-Sub Style) - Argent Data Systems - APRS Hardware Because I wanted to keep the number of wires in my vehicle to a minimum and the ability to use ONE GPS for BOTH navigating AND scanning, this option appealed to me greatly.

So, when I looked through the list of compatible GPS receivers from Argent Data I saw that the following supported models currently include:

Garmin Nüvi 300 Series
StreetPilot C340
StreetPilot 7000 Series
StreetPilot 2820 Series
StreetPilot 2720 Series
Zumo 400 Series
Zumo 500 Series

Having some experience with Garmin GPS in the past, I immediately ruled out the StreetPilot C340 because of the size of the unit. The StreetPilot 7000 series is larger still, so they, too, were elimiunated from consideration. I have had a StreetPilot 2730, which is quite similar to the StreetPilot 2720 and 2820, but I also ruled them out due to their size and weight. Next down the list is the Zumo 450 and 550. They have the speaker built into the cradle, rather than the GPS itself, so I ruled them out based on that feature.

By process of elimination that leaves the Garmin Nüvi 300 series. Specifically, that is the following units: Garmin Nuvi 350, 360, and 370. So, I promptly went to Ebay and picked up a used Garmin Nuvi 350. Upon arrival, I did the various firmware/software updates and configured it to my liking. It has worked quite well for the months that I have used it with the Home Patrol HP-1.

More recently I decided to pick up an additional used Garmin Nuvi for the family fleet of vehicles. This time I decided to buy a used Garmin Nuvi 360. I focused on that unit because I did a comparison of the Garmin Nuvi 350, 360, and 370 https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cat...1655&compareProduct=31943&compareProduct=8577 and noticed that the 360 and 370 have a high-sensitivity receiver, but the 350 does not. I have noticed that it seems to work even a bit better than the 350 for GPS scanning because it seems to acquire GPS signals quicker and keep them in places that the 350 would loose them.

Anyway, for the above reasons that I have noted, if you are still looking for a GPS for scanning in your vehicle, the Garmin Nuvi 360 may well be the definite choice IF you want a GPS for BOTH navigating AND GPS scanning. Also, if people here are interested in some additional tricks, tips, work arounds, hints, secrets and ideas for the Garmin Nüvi line, take a look here Garmin Nuvi GPS Tricks, Tips, Work Arounds, Hints, Secrets and Ideas -- Page 1 because Gary has LOTS of good information about Garmin Nuvis!

Also, if anybody is looking for an itemized list of Uniden Bearcat scanners capable of GPS Scanning, this is what the Uniden website lists:

BCD396T / BCD396XT

BCD996T / BCD996XT

BC346XT

BCT15 / BCT15X

HomePatrol-1

Here are four popular Uniden scanners with GPS capability and their features compared:

http://www.uniden.com/bin/venda?ex=...e=bcd996xtg&compare=bcd396xtg&compare=bct15xg

Last edited:

QwKiE

Is there a way to see if a Garmin 760 would work the same way with the Homepatrol. Anything that I could look for about my unit to see if it is the same as the 350/360.

JASII

Memory Capacity
It looks like the Argent Cable is similar to the Data Cable (Mini-B to Serial Pigtail) Part Number: 010-10813-00 https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/sho...to-serial-pigtail-/prod1449_010-10813-00.html it, too, is only compatible with the following devices:

nüvi® 350

nüvi® 360

nüvi® 370

StreetPilot® 2720

StreetPilot® 2820

StreetPilot® 7200

StreetPilot® 7500

StreetPilot® c340

zūmo® 450

zūmo® 550

Perhaps a call to Scoot Miller at Argent would be worthwhile to see if anything else is going to be released soon!

Last edited:

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
You could even use the Garmin cable and solder a DB-9 female to work without a null modem adapter.
$14.95 + $2.49 shipping
Garmin Data Cable Mini B to Serial Pigtail

These may be possibilities, couldn't find the specs:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/cables/serial-data-power-cable/prod26668.html
Amazon.com: Garmin Sd Power Cable: GPS & Navigation

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/sho...leet-management-interface-cable/prod1564.html
Amazon.com: Top Quality By DATA CABLE, 12V + SERIAL PIGTAIL TO: Electronics
"This interface cable is for fleet management use only. It is not compatible with personal navigation use. The cable functions only as part of a Fleet Management Interface Tool Kit, allowing your Garmin device to interface with your fleet management s wireless mobile data network."

JamesPrine

Nuvi Cable

No idea, John, I'm unfamiliar with that model. I got the idea after watching a Youtube video where a fellow mated his old Garmin Etrex with a Home Patrol 1; if it accepts a serial plug and can be set to use NMEA output, it should work, but that cable is WAY too much...I paid merely $14.95 and free shipping for my cable which offers the data and mobile power hookups. Good luck!

jackj

How about telling us where you got your cable, James? Also any other info, like model number/part number or manufacturer? I agree that $50 is just a little outside my comfort zone.

JamesPrine

I just went on eBay and searched for Garmin eMap, because I own one and its magnetic external antenna...there were plenty of cables and accessories still available for it, and other Garmin models.

JamesPrine

Combo Data PC+Power Cable eTrex eMap Geko Garmin GPS...this is what I use...it powers the Garmin and is also a data cable...fits onto the Uniden HP-1 serial GPS cable directly, no gender changer/null modem required!

Last edited:

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Just want to clarify...

Also, if anybody is looking for an itemized list of Uniden Bearcat scanners capable of GPS Scanning, this is what the Uniden website lists:

BCD396T / BCD396XT

BCD996T / BCD996XT

BC346XT

BCT15 / BCT15X

HomePatrol-1

The list of scanners capable of GPS scanning shows the BCD396T. All the others listed may have that capability however the 396T does not. Just want to set the record straight before all the 396T owners start scrambling for instructions on how to get their T's hooked up to their GPS's. Thank you.

Russell

swstow

Premium Subscriber
ok I'm a little lost / i have a c340 but cant get how to hook up to a 996xt help please

KD8HE

Premium Subscriber
This should get you started
The c340 takes the GTRANS translator cable from Argent Data Systems to get the GPS data to the HP1.
https://www.argentdata.com/support/fmi.html
The GTRANS cable would combine with the GPS cable from Uniden or if you can find one, the GPS plug that fits the HP1 is all you would need. Mate the Uniden GPS plug to the GTRANS pigtail and you are in business.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Along these lines, I have a Nüvi 2555LMT.

Would the offered accessory cable work for the GPS function on the Unidens?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/sho...ata-and-traffic-/prod104982_010-11796-00.html

The Garmin cables won't work since they don't output NMEA data. Argent is the only company I know that makes cables to convert the Garmin FMI data to NMEA. Their GTRANS2 cable might work but the traffic feature of the Garmins may not work while using the cable. Since it is custom made, you can specify the connectors to eliminate any adapters for a cleaner install. Scott Miller is very helpful and can be reached through the contact page.
https://www.argentdata.com/support/fmi.html

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
The list of scanners capable of GPS scanning shows the BCD396T. All the others listed may have that capability however the 396T does not. Just want to set the record straight before all the 396T owners start scrambling for instructions on how to get their T's hooked up to their GPS's. Thank you.

Russell

Only the "X" models have GPS capabilities.
BCD996XT
BCD396XT
BCT15X
BC346XT
BC346XTC

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
The BCD996T has GPS capabilities. At least the manual says it does.

My bad--should've checked Location Based Scanning - The RadioReference Wiki. The Uniden wiki must only reference current models :confused:LocationBasedScanning < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

"Uniden scanners BCD996T, BCT15, BCT15X and all XT models (BC346XT, BCD396XT, BCD996XT) support location-based scanning. The Uniden HomePatrol-1 (HP-1) also supports location-based scanning, with the added feature of ZIP Code control."

ZippyZ

Premium Subscriber
NMEA is NMEA .... they should be able to splice the GPS cable into the original traffic cable to make this work. Do I know how to .... Nope. But have done enough NMEA stuff on boats to know this should be possible.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
NMEA is NMEA .... they should be able to splice the GPS cable into the original traffic cable to make this work. Do I know how to .... Nope. But have done enough NMEA stuff on boats to know this should be possible.

Garmin FMI and NMEA | Argent Data Systems
"To address the needs of commercial fleet operators, Garmin added the Fleet Management Interface (FMI) to some of their automotive products. FMI does not use NMEA, but it does provide a serial interface - usually through the USB connector - that can be used by some devices."

ZippyZ

Premium Subscriber
^^ Thank You ... That is what I had read as well.
I was referring to the Argent cable for the splice.

Status
Not open for further replies.