Uniden BCT-15X disappointment again

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilt404

I just got a Uniden BCT-15X and it reminds me so much of the BCD996XT in terms of terrible intermod and noise. I've had a GRE PSR-800 for the past year and never hear intermod on it. I'm using the same antennas as on the GRE also. I've tried 4 different antennas with the Uniden and still the same. Terrible. In my opinion these scanners are junk when it comes to being overly sensitive and constantly stopping making noise. Yet my GRE scans away in silence.

ngawx

Just got a 15X to go into my vehicle. So far sounds great on all bands (mostly listen to 150-160mhz). I think it works much better than my PSR500. No problems so far.

tilt404

Found one problem I had a bank in search instead of scan so was stopping on digital IDs with noise. So trying again now and see if its any better. I think that solved it though since the system for EMS is mixed (digita/analog), so now that it isn't searching, just scanning the TGIDs I have in, all should be quiet.

I just have 144/440 freq's programed in mainly using a diamond X50A outside with LMR400. Won't be using it on anything but 140/440s range since that is the antenna type outside and all that I need to scan. I use the PSR800 for all other frequencies. Its just hooked to a comet discone which does so well for the P25 digital 800mhz system here. Glad to hear its working well for both of you. Hope the changes I made make it work better with less intermod now.

vma

I got this radio here in Europe. First I got scared about all the active functions which are exclusive for the US.

But now, after a few days, I am gettig to enjoy this radio. Once you understand how to switch all the excess functions off, it is actually a pretty good radio scanner. It is much faster than my COMMTEL COM205 and the UBC9000XLT. The reception is great and my unit came with pre-installed discriminator tap.

I think this is probably the best you can buy for this amount of money.

Cheers,
vma

tilt404

I got this radio here in Europe. First I got scared about all the active functions which are exclusive for the US.

But now, after a few days, I am gettig to enjoy this radio. Once you understand how to switch all the excess functions off, it is actually a pretty good radio scanner. It is much faster than my COMMTEL COM205 and the UBC9000XLT. The reception is great and my unit came with pre-installed discriminator tap.

I think this is probably the best you can buy for this amount of money.

Cheers,
vma

I had the USB cable and Butel ARCXTPRO software left over from the previous Uniden so it made setting it up easy. The tap is a nice feature since my PSR800 has it as well and I use it with several programs. The one I got here in Canada was just $199 so not a bad price. So far it seems like the noise has gone away. Its nice to have some keys and a dial, a change from the GRE PSR800. Still love the PSR though and sad production is ended.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Found one problem I had a bank in search instead of scan so was stopping on digital IDs with noise. So trying again now and see if its any better. I think that solved it though since the system for EMS is mixed (digita/analog), so now that it isn't searching, just scanning the TGIDs I have in, all should be quiet.

Hope the changes I made make it work better with less intermod now.

There is a world of difference between hearing digital transmissions on an analog scanner vs "intermod". You seem to be hearing the former, not the latter. Don't confuse the two, the BCT15X is an excellent scanner with a very good front end, and is actually very resistant to intermod and overloading (as opposed to GRE, which are notorious suffers of both due to their weak front end).

tilt404

There is a world of difference between hearing digital transmissions on an analog scanner vs "intermod". You seem to be hearing the former, not the latter. Don't confuse the two, the BCT15X is an excellent scanner with a very good front end, and is actually very resistant to intermod and overloading (as opposed to GRE, which are notorious suffers of both due to their weak front end).

Yup, for the most part that was what I heard but not all I heard since some was on the analog amateur bands. I won't get into a GRE/Uniden thing on here though since I know my PSR800 has been silent. It's not a cheap scanner so maybe some of their lesser models don't fair as well. My last digital Uniden did suffer, so I was worried it was happening again. Having a bunch of radios here leads to confusion and poor sight at times, so I know I can often be the one to blame which is the case in regard to this post saying I was disappointed. So I stand corrected. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.