antenna booster for hp-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimedtoannoy

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to find a good antenna booster for my homepatrol-1. I am a provider and (by audience request) need to add APD to the feed. I live 10 miles away from the towers and nothing comes in. I know that I have the correct APD freq. because I went there and I got a ton of hits. I am wondering if anyone has an idea of what amp to buy and at a good price. I do need one that is capable for wideband.

pef to not go over 100 bucks at this time.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Before you look at amps, get your antenna and coax situation squared away. You haven't said anything about what you're using, but if you can put something outside and nice and high, you're going to do a far better job then 'just add a preamp'

Preamps can and sometimes do (the poorly designed ones, anyway) add more noise and intermod products due to overloading and poor circuit design. 10 miles is a short jump even on 800 Mhz.

Mike

aimedtoannoy

Premium Subscriber
Before you look at amps, get your antenna and coax situation squared away. You haven't said anything about what you're using, but if you can put something outside and nice and high, you're going to do a far better job then 'just add a preamp'

Preamps can and sometimes do (the poorly designed ones, anyway) add more noise and intermod products due to overloading and poor circuit design. 10 miles is a short jump even on 800 Mhz.

Mike

I'm going to try the outdoor antenna first, If I still cant get the one freq. I might go to an amp (i monitor 800 mhz, 700mhz, and some 150mhz)

sphipps

Most Walmart stores sell a GE -24db signal amplifier for about $25 that might be worth looking into.

I also see various amps all the time at flea markets for a few bucks each.

Michael-SATX

Check your HP-1's range setting - default is 10 miles !

I am looking to find a good antenna booster for my homepatrol-1. I am a provider and (by audience request) need to add APD to the feed. I live 10 miles away from the towers and nothing comes in. I know that I have the correct APD freq. because I went there and I got a ton of hits. I am wondering if anyone has an idea of what amp to buy and at a good price. I do need one that is capable for wideband.

pef to not go over 100 bucks at this time.

Check your HP-1's range setting - the default is set to 10 miles.
While scanning tap the range icon on your HP-1 and check it !
You said your 10 miles away ~ trying to brain storm for you ;)
Hmm, double check the APD's freqs proper tone or NAC info.
Best of luck solving this issue ...

aimedtoannoy

Premium Subscriber
Check your HP-1's range setting - the default is set to 10 miles.
While scanning tap the range icon on your HP-1 and check it !
You said your 10 miles away ~ trying to brain storm for you ;)
Hmm, double check the APD's freqs proper tone or NAC info.
Best of luck solving this issue ...

I will try that, but I manually put these freqs. in so I believe they scan anyways, aslo I went to ashtabula and I received many hits from APD. I think there is a dead zone between ashtabula and I for their scanner, They ditched the marcs system

Status
Not open for further replies.