High Power Batteries for HP-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SShuster221

Feed and Calls Provider
Feed Provider
All,

I have been experimenting with Lithium 14500 (AA) Batteries in my BR330T. I can get over 2 extra hours of run time, using one 3.2V 1000MAH battery.

SO my question and this will prolly need to be answered by UPman. But anyway what is the max voltage on a HP-1 when using batteries that the unit can take.

I have two 3.7V 2000MAH, 14500 (AA) batteries. Now this would take voltage up to 8.4V if the cells are charged at max. Normal Alkaline cells 4 of them would give a max of 7.4.

SO i need to know if i can use the two 3.7v with 2 dummies. That would give an amazing amount of run time.

Thanks,
Scott

bear780ks

I use the MaHa C9000 and Set's from MaHa, eneloop and Energizer

Scott it Sounds like you want to Mix Batteries is that what your Asking? If so that wouldn't be to Good idea as Mixing Cells can cause them to Explode)

What i use in my 396 is Set of Cells from MaHa, eneloop, and energizer I don't charge them in the 396 I charge them in MaHa's C9000 charger this is a best way I think to charge an Rotate batteries through the 396.. Ra

SCPD

QRT
batteries

Why dont you just order a set of high current batteries with the correct voltage off ebay like I did?

1.2Volts 3300mah

mrxdimension

Premium Subscriber
You don't really want batteries with an initial high voltage, regardless of their maH rating. You want batteries of the correct voltage, low internal resistance, and consistant current output until they go flat.

I've had good success with Eneloops. Others like the new Energizers or PowerEx batteries. I haven't tried them.

Aside from using premium, low internal resistance batteries, you really really should consider a good external charger such as the Maha C9000. It will pay for itself in the long run, especially if you use it for other AA or AAA rechargeable batteries. The Maha is an intelligent charger. It won't overcharge your batteries. More importantly, it can "form" or "reform" your batteries so they hold the optimum charge.

I hate to be repetitive, but Thomas Distributing is a good place to buy the charger and batteries from. You do get what you pay for in this case. Look around the site for package deals.
Maha MH-C9000 Battery Charger

Last edited:

bear780ks

C9000 Very Good Charger

I'm Not afraid to admit I like the C9000 the prof is in the Picture maybe that should pudding :roll: :p I get any more i will be a Battery Junkie :D

Attachments

• 3 C9000's and a 8 banker too.jpg
    3 C9000's and a 8 banker too.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 749

SShuster221

Feed and Calls Provider
Feed Provider
Thank you all for the information. The Cells I have are Lithium Rechargeable. the MAHA can not charge them. I have two Maha chargers now with PowerEX AA that I currently use now. I was hoping the Homepatrol could take the tolerance of 8.2 - 8.4 volts. The input power on the side is 9, hence why i was hoping.

Thanks.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I cannot recommend the use of Lithium batteries in the unit, as we have never tested such a configuration.

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
C9000 Gets My Vote Too

I'm Not afraid to admit I like the C9000 the prof is in the Picture maybe that should pudding :roll: :p I get any more i will be a Battery Junkie :D

Regarding the Maha C9000, I dont have a fleet of them like Bear, but the one C9000 I have is very useful over a wide range of cells & cell chemistry. Very accurate and designed by pros, not some company trying to copy some other product.

The mixing cells things has never been a good choice, especially with lithium base batteries. When people say they will "blow up", I used to think that it was hyped up a little. But the other day, I had an 11.1 volt 2200 mAh battery for my RC plane "blow up". It had a small break in the outer shell and went pretty deep. From there it made contact with air, smoked for a few seconds and then the large flame and pop......wish I had a vid_cam to show people its real.

Sorry I strayed off-topice a lil. I do wish you good luck with changing cells out with new/different styles. Please let us know how things progress.....we can all learn from your experiences.

Vince
73 de KI4VBR ... -.-

lost_in_maine

I've used lithium's for years in my wireless weather sensors that are outside..I live in Maine, and they survive for well over a year, and work in -40f...Tried them in my digital camera, and they lasted not much longer than regular rechargeables..
Now have a solar sensor on the station that charges them for me...

bear780ks

Hey that's Cool..

Wanted to Add: The Two C9000 that are Hooked up are 0M0BA's the latest one's out of MaHa's Taiwan Plant the one Unhooked is a 0L0CA and is 6 months old I'm sending it back as it developed an issue with the slot 2 charge Port It will head back to the Plant as I was Told..

Last edited:

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Strange that they're 3.6 volts "so you can use less batteries", per Panasonic.
Wonder how i can use just 1.7 of them in my HP?

mrxdimension

Premium Subscriber
Rechargeable Lithiums? Had to Google that one..and sure enough..
Rechargeable Lithium Ion OEM Batteries - Panasonic

Interesting that there are now rechargeable lithiums. I would have thought that AA's, AAA's, etc form factor batteries had a standard of somewhere around 1.5 v output.

The property that makes low internal resistance rechargeables useful is their voltage output remeains relatively stable until they're flat. I wonder if the rechargeable lithiums have the same property.

Nevertheless, I won't use the rechargeable lithiums in a device that isn't designed to use them. This might be a chicken and egg problem.

mancow

Database Admin
Meh, it has a voltage regulator in it. If it can't take one extra volt there are major issues present anyway.

mrxdimension

Premium Subscriber
Meh, it has a voltage regulator in it. If it can't take one extra volt there are major issues present anyway.

I don't understand. Please elaborate. A single AA cell is about 1.5 v or about 1.25 v for rechargeables. If I read correctly, these Lion's are 3.6ish. I don't see how a voltage regulator is going to help prolong the battery life. It may help regulate what the device sees, but I think it will waste the extra as heat. It's not clear to me that a HP-1 uses a switching power supply when on battery (this would increase efficiency and produce less heat.) Regardless, I find it simpler to keep a spare set of non-Lion rechargeables around, and a spare set of non-rechargeable 1.5ish lithium's around just in case. Personally, I'm not going to experiment with unauthorized batteries in an expensive radio.

It also doesn't speak to the voltage output of the cell over time.

Last edited:

SShuster221

Feed and Calls Provider
Feed Provider
IT WORKS!!

Well,

For all who wanted to know, The HP-1 is currently working with no issues on two, 3.7v Lithium Batteries. and two dummy's. Its been performing great, for hours with no visual sign of slowing down. The heat no different then a regular pair of batteries.

I will keep testing and let everyone know.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
Well,

For all who wanted to know, The HP-1 is currently working with no issues on two, 3.7v Lithium Batteries. and two dummy's. Its been performing great, for hours with no visual sign of slowing down. The heat no different then a regular pair of batteries.

I will keep testing and let everyone know.

Interesting. Thanks for the testing and I'm looking forward to your results.

Status
Not open for further replies.