BCT15x Howto Question: Tell the scanner to scan a particular trunked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinchio

Premium Subscriber
Originally posted in another forum...

Hello, first I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this question (please feel free to suggest a better location). I have the BCT15x and I'm fumbling my way around the system trying to learn how to use it. I have downloaded a trunked set for Ottawa (Ontario, Canada) Public Safety using freescan software and uploaded it to the scanner. I would like to tell the scanner to search only this group.

I can't for the life of me figure this out. What it does seem to do is scan the group as well as AIR, HAM etc... I just want to scan the trunked group for Ottawa.

Please advise

Thanks,

Rob

captclint

Mentor
I have downloaded a trunked set for Ottawa (Ontario, Canada) Public Safety using freescan software and uploaded it to the scanner. I would like to tell the scanner to search only this group.

I can't for the life of me figure this out. What it does seem to do is scan the group as well as AIR, HAM etc
Because it is scanning Air, Ham, you have search with scan enabled. This should help you get rid of those: http://forums.radioreference.com/2019806-post6.html
One way to scan only one system is to assign quick keys to all your systems, and then turn all of them off except the one you want. Assign Quick keys and Turn Quick keys on/off

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Everything in the DMA world is set up around systems, sites and groups. It's very important to learn the terminology and how they work together. You would set up quick keys to tell the scanner what to scan, and you can lock out the service searches by hitting FUNC + L/O (twice) when scanning

We have a wiki article with lots of links (always in blue) to get you started. I would start by reading the Easier to Read manual for this radio (the links are at the end of the article below) and our DMA FAQ

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

pinchio

Premium Subscriber
I just can't figure this out. I am using Freescan with a single group created (trunked with a single system) that has multiple groups and channels. All of this was downloaded using the import RadioReference option in FS software.

As a simple test I've assigned a quick key to one of the groups. I then uploaded the settings to the scanner. What I cannot seem to figure out is how to recall that group and tell the scanner to just scan that group. Video tutorials would be soo much better.

Please advise.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I can't make you a video but here is the step-by-step procedure.

While the scanner is scanning the system press and hold the function button (large silver control knob) until it beeps twice.

Now you will see GRP ---------- displayed in the bottom line, indicating no GQKs assigned (programmed).

If it shows GRP 1--------- you have GQK 1 unlocked and it is the only GQK assigned.

If a * replaces the - you have a GQK programmed in that position, but locked out.

GRP 1***------ would indicate GQK 1 is unlocked but not 2,3, and 4. (while 5 through 0 are not assigned).

GRP **34------ would indicate groups 3 and 4 are unlocked while 1 and 2 are locked out.

Press the appropriate number to lock/unlock a group.

Press the control knob when finished.

Pressing a number button while scanning Without pressing the function button first results in the System Quick Key being changed, not the Group.

To assign a GQK manually, ( > = Press Function Button ) press Menu, Program System > Scroll to the System > Edit Group > Select Group > Set Quick Key > Select GQK number > Press Scan to exit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.