Illegal Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
OK This afternoon after many years of service of my 396xt I got an "illegal voltage" message. I checked the lovely Uniden user guide however it does not tell you what you should check to correct the problem. It just shows the different screen messages. Is there some kind of algorithm to go by? I have no clue if it is the charger or the plug on the side of the scanner. Any ideas please.

XTS3000

First double check and make sure your using the original wall wort that came with you scanner. It should be say 6v somewhere on the adapter.

If the correct wall wort, then it most likely has gone bad. Either it's too low of voltage or too high.

If you have a DVM, check the voltage coming out of the wall wort. It should real close to 6.0v.

MarkWestin

The odds are very good that your "Switching Power Supply" AD-1001 has failed. The one that came with my BC346XT failed about a year ago. If you have any of the other scanners in the same form factor, they all use the same power supply. There is probably nothing wrong with your scanner.

Mark

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I am using the original wall wart that came with the scanner. I too doubt it is a battery issue. I know someone that has an older 396 non digital. I will try his wall wart and see. I will also see what I can about the output voltage. Thanks. And keep the hints coming it there may be more. Smile.

Legality of Voltage

OK This afternoon after many years of service of my 396xt I got an "illegal voltage" message. Any ideas please.

You said "any", right?

I'm very surprised that you're still a free man. The last time I got the "Illegal Voltage" message, only minutes later I received several hang ups on my cell phone followed by a knock on the door. It was 2AM! The agents explained that my voltage was only legal in Alaska, Tennessee and parts of Kentucky - and that I was very clearly in violation. I couldn't argue. They had the evidence right on my scanner.

I was taken downtown along with the scanner, fingerprinted, mug shots taken and finally released on bail. Thanks UPMan! Now that's product support!

I have only seen this message when running the scanner on 12 volts in a vehicle. The message can be easily cleared by either popping out the batteries and starting from scratch, or - appearing briefly before the Minister of Voltage within your own particular jurisdiction. Actually, they're pretty lenient, after all. I am on Voltage Probation for just 12 months. Fingers crossed!

Try new or different batteries, just for fun!

If it continues, head over to Radio Shack. They won’t be able to help you, but at least you’ll get out of the house.

Oh, and never ever charge your batteries in the radio. That alone should save this thread at least 5 or 6 posts… (Battery topics are usually good for at least another 5 posts. Count 'em up!)

Good luck!

~Doc

Smiley omitted in order to conserve bandwidth.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
To doctordialtone....

Very witty my friend. A good laugh by most of us I am sure. Last time I asked about scanners at Radio Shack I believe the young lady took me to the copier machines. Last week a friend of mine asked the salesperson to find a BNC adapter. Talk about a blank stare. No words could describe the look on the salespersons face.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I charge the batteries in the scanner. Gasp!! I easily charge them every other day/night and sometimes every day. This scanner has been a work horse for me. I easily get 14 months of charges on the batteries and at least one time during the year I deep charge and/or recycle the batteries on a Maha ??? charger. Usually takes at least 48 hrs.

Anyway. I will be ordering a new charger tonight.

And for you sir ..... as an old disc jockey would say, "And the hits just keep on coming!" Love your humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.