RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives - A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
Let them have an A connecter as I can go to ANY electronics/computer shop and get an adapter... DUH! Fryes, Tiger.... the list of places you can get adapters for ANY computer USB/Firewire etc device is endless!
Why do all of these adapters if the scanner will understand the USB flash memory only?
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2013, 9:23 PM

It's a good thing no one is jumping to any conclusions before seeing the actual unit itself!

I guess it must be outside the realm of possibility that they put a Type A connector on the back to accommodate a USB flash drive, and put a Mini-B connector on the front for connectivity, right?

(I'm not predicting anything, I'm just not so quick to be dismissive either. Not without actually seeing the darn thing first.)
Old 09-23-2013, 9:36 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

LOL good point. I just never panic when someone says "its only got plug X"... Been playing with devices that plug into PC garbage for a long time, and learned hard way... there is always an adaptable solution for your digital dilemma. LOL
Old 09-23-2013, 9:39 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The drawing says its the same size as a 996XT. I don't see a line out jack. Does the 996XT have one?
Old 09-23-2013, 9:53 PM

bcd-996xt back
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

thanks for posting that.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 View Post
It's a good thing no one is jumping to any conclusions before seeing the actual unit itself!

I guess it must be outside the realm of possibility that they put a Type A connector on the back to accommodate a USB flash drive, and put a Mini-B connector on the front for connectivity, right?

(I'm not predicting anything, I'm just not so quick to be dismissive either. Not without actually seeing the darn thing first.)
Jumping to conclusions is half the fun!

On that note, Type A on the back for firmware updates via USB drive. More people are going to smart phones and tablets. At the same time, USB thumb drives are everywhere.

The front is a little more tricky. I would imagine they want to keep the old connector for the BH-RC96, but at the same time you raise an interesting question about USB up front. I wouldn't be surprised if they have one up front too for computer connectivity and control. Get yourself with a OTG cable and you can have a neat little handheld controller to boot!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 PM

FCC ID
Grantee Code: AMW Product Code: UB375

Short-Term Confidentiality
Does short-term confidentiality apply to this application?: Yes
If so, specify the short-term confidentiality release date (MM/DD/YYYY format): 11/16/2013
Note: If no date is supplied, the release date will be set to 45 calendar days past the date of grant.

Confidential Short-Term:
External Photos
Test Setup Photos
Users Manual

Last edited by n3617400; 09-23-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 PM

Let's keep in mind that all three of Uniden's latest scanners released since 2010 include a true USB connector in the form of Mini-B: The HP-1, the BC75XLT and the BC125AT. It's not as if there is no recent precedence for them going in that direction.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:58 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

ok guess i will throw my 2cent worth in ( if i missed someone else saying it ) its a moble verison of the home patrol , and if I'm correct / put my name on the " i want it list "
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The Home Patrol is a mobile scanner.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:18 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

in the body style of a 996 , is what i was thinking
Old 09-23-2013, 11:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

My guess is body style of 996 series with knobs and full keypad for serious hobbyists, and entire updatable database with zip code scanning for beginners.
Old 09-24-2013, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayi4cle View Post
My guess is body style of 996 series with knobs and full keypad for serious hobbyists, and entire updatable database with zip code scanning for beginners.
That wouldnt be bad! My biggest fear is it having a touchscreen. A touchscreen is about the only thing that would make this purchase a definite no-go for me. Oh well, at least if it does have a touch screen, that would make my decision on which scanner to purchase at the beginning of the year that much easier!
Old 09-24-2013, 8:09 AM
New York DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'd love to beta test the new scanner. But it looks like I'll be one of the first in line for the new scanner next year. No lunches for me for a while
Old 09-24-2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquierStrat View Post
That wouldnt be bad! My biggest fear is it having a touchscreen. A touchscreen is about the only thing that would make this purchase a definite no-go for me. Oh well, at least if it does have a touch screen, that would make my decision on which scanner to purchase at the beginning of the year that much easier!
I don't know if it would push it to the no-go side for me, but I'd have to find something to cover it with. I'm looking to do a mobile setup, and more than likely this would be under the passenger seat. The last thing I would need is something hitting the screen and I can't fix it while mobile. I would actually welcome a touchscreen remote head however.

As long as I can completely customize it (like every other scanner) and I'm not locked into a pre-installed database only, I probably won't care about the Home Patrol side too much. If the sufix HP is anything of substance, I'm sure home patrol will factor in this one heavily though.
Old 09-24-2013, 8:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I hope UPMan doesn't hurt himself from laughing at all the speculation going on here.
Old 09-24-2013, 8:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Oh how I wish it will do TRBO/ NEXEDGE!!!!!!! drooling over it!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 8:53 AM

Interesting comments. If it does NOT have a touch screen I am unlikely to purchase it! While I rarely use either of my HP-1 in the car, I don't find the touch screen on my add-on GPS to be a problem, in fact I use it a LOT to reprogram and have never found it to be a problem. The remote head for my 996 would be a problem if I actually tried to "READ" the data while mobile. The screen is TOO small and to monochromatic and lacks important information that the HP-1 screen has. No the important features for any modern device is: COLOR; TOUCH SCREEN; FONT larger enough to read at a glance. I believe the Uniden engineers know this also and expect the next scanner will not be a throwback to 20 year old technology. [that's my opinon, your mileage may vary].
Old 09-24-2013, 8:55 AM

that would be nice......but im not holding my breath