RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives - A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
Well I like to hear all of the chatter going on with Uniden and its next release since we have not heard of any good news in years now since GRE bit the dust. I would like to get more excited about the new release of new technology since this is my hobby but the fact of the matter is that Encryption is the way of the future and its in full force and its hear to stay. I know there is still alot of stuff to listen too but lets just be realistic that the days of scanning is slowly winding down. Some people are just lucky if they still live in areas where communications are still in the clear. Most of people are just slowly getting locked out by public safety and public safety agencies dont care about the scanning industry and its a mutt subject to cities and counties and The BIG Motorola.

Its going to be good business for Uniden and they are going to sell alot of new scanners if they did their testing and their homework right. They will come out with a great unit that will do Phase II and it should be awesome for the people that can receive still without being locked out by encryption. If you live in an area with Type II systems and Phase I systems and conventional P25 then there will be no reason to buy the new unit. Wondering what is going to be the price point. I would guess 600 bucks Northbound.

I would like to see some cool pictures come down the pipe soon.
I am glad you want to see pics as we all do.But please get off the scanning is coming to an end and encryption kick it is getting quite old.
Old 09-26-2013, 8:03 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

Yeah, QUITE old!
Old 09-26-2013, 8:06 AM

For some years I attended each January something called The Tropical Hamboree, just a mid-winter trade show with an excuse for vendors to come to Miami as a business expense. More than 20 years ago, when Florida had decided to change the State Police radio system, all the dealers were certain this was the "end of scanning" and the 'coming encryption' was going to kill the hobby. I note that 20 years later we are still hearing the same chicken-little story of the "End is Near." And, like then, many of were awaiting the latest scanner to be released and were planning of making a purchase as soon as it was released.
Old 09-26-2013, 8:09 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

Im still waiting for the firmware update for my 396xt that makes me coffee
Old 09-26-2013, 8:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

No record out (at least not a dedicated rear output)? It was a great feature for those of us who like to use software assisted recording but still monitor the radio.

As for a screen vs buttons, I prefer being able to reach down while driving and hit HOLD or SCAN by feel without taking my eyes off the road.

I will get one like I have almost every scanner so far. Whether or not I replace my (13) 996 series radios with it will depend on it being something special enough to do so.

chris
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2013, 10:35 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
Whomever came up with the extreme update, put him back on the project and get him some Mt. Dew, there's a lot that can be done yet.
No extreme upgrades. Period. If it doesn't do out of the box, plus extras, what the extreme upgrade did to the HP; why do we need to pay more for a "new/old" scanner. I would like to see something that is state of the art. But I don't think we will. UPMan, I hope that this will be worth all the hype in this forum. New technology needs to be addressed.
Larry
Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyFlyer View Post
Better yet, HP might stand for Hysterical Predictions. ;-)
I wasn't going to get involved in this thread, but oh man, THIS. For years now.
Old 09-26-2013, 4:12 PM

Well im sorry to get people upset and I will not cry about this again but when "YOUR" town does go "ENC" like mine did "Joliet,IL" and u been scanning with these great Uniden scanners and ones of the future it give's u a real sick feeling in the gut...There is still plenty to listen too altho you cant get the real feeling of disgust till its your town......Much good luck to the new model.....
Old 09-26-2013, 4:53 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Well Ron I'm kind of seeing what you talking about as our Law Enforcement has the Capability of Encryption and our P.D. units are using it) in a Cat n mouse kind of way meaning one time there there and the Next there Not) as for Dispatch it's open for now but they too can switch it on

As for Sheriff's there using it sparingly ) Fire and Ems is Like listening to Analog same with KHP even on there Car to Car ch.'s but i guess they too can turn them on not fill for sure in when that would be but they probably could if the time would arise..

But like me you've probably have been a Long time listener probably started with either VHF or UHF. Here in our Area when I listened to S.O. and P.D. on VHF I listened to KHP on Low Band you'd here there headquarters in Wichita or Salina but to here a Trooper you had to be Fairly close to there Patrol Car to pick up there traffic.

It was like this till Troop F and other troops moved to 800 non Trunking.. but i feel your feelings it's like what do I listen to Now) yea there's other things to listen to but when you started out like me it was Police, Sheriff, Ems but you probably revolve your Listening around Police traffic..
Old 09-26-2013, 5:05 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Allright Folks let's please get this topic back on track.
Encryption has been debated to death and any further discussion
has nothing to do with the original thread topic.
It is an obvious fact that no commercially available receiver can or will be able
to decrypt encrypted radio comms. End of story.
Any further posts regarding encryption will be deleted.
Thanks for helping get this thread back on track.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 09-26-2013, 5:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Thank you, Marshall!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 PM

What's the possibility of MDC-1200 decoding? It looks like the patents may be expired, and radio manufacturers are already incorporating it.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm really hoping the simulcast distortion dragon will have been slayed with the new model.

I have the remote head set up in my vehicle to my 996XT. Sure would be nice if a new model had similar capabilities.

Also I'm wondering what this will mean for the 996XT models - will production of that model be ceased? If there won't be any more 996XTs built, what does that mean for those that might be in distrbutor inventories - higher or lower prices?

Them this might be really putting the cart before the horse, but presuming the newest model is indeed built along the 996XT platform - a base/mobile scanner, would a portable version be much farther off?

Lastly a thought to those who will be creating programming software (as in Butel/Sixpot): I really, really hope there will be a method/means for importing the 996XT program files into the new model. While downloading from the RR database makes programming much easier, I still do some "touching up" just to suit my fancy on the final layout.

Last edited by ofd8001; 09-26-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Old 09-26-2013, 11:06 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Lets make a wild prediction and say that the USB is a discriminator tap.
Old 09-27-2013, 5:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

[QUOTE=CommLt;2046902]Lets make a wild prediction and say that the USB is a discriminator tap.[/QUOTE

I sure hope its not uniden has to be smart enough by now to know that the USB tap on the home patrol is useless for all but unitrunker. If Uniden is making the radio with a ready made Disc Tap I hope it would be a audio jack instead of USB!

Stop streaming public safety comms before encryption kills our hobby!
Old 09-27-2013, 4:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Re: New Uniden BCD536HP AMWUB375

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtklamp2 View Post
I sure hope its not uniden has to be smart enough by now to know that the USB tap on the home patrol is useless for all but unitrunker. If Uniden is making the radio with a ready made Disc Tap I hope it would be a audio jack instead of USB!
The USB could be I/O out, if you are going to dream.
Old 09-28-2013, 8:59 PM
Quebec DB Adm
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Wink

How about a simple thing such as a USB pgm cable that works with Windows 8 right out of the box without any workaround !? ... And why not plan right now to make it work with Windows 9 and 10 - LOL !! ...

BCD396XT | PSR600 | PSR500C | BC780XLT | PRO2006 | PRO2046 |
Old 09-28-2013, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slypx View Post
How about a simple thing such as a USB pgm cable that works with Windows 8 right out of the box without any workaround !? ... And why not plan right now to make it work with Windows 9 and 10 - LOL !! ...
Like building in wifi or Ethernet into the scanner and a built in web server/php script that all OS's could access with just a simple web browser including mobile devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-29-2013, 12:10 PM

They would be foolish not to implement Phase II in the upcoming scanner as it would mean a solid paycheck for the next several years until the next scanner is released. Phase II is the only reason that I would buy the scanner personally, but I'm sure some will buy it either way. I'm hoping for MDC-1200 as well, maybe DTMF, but the others may still be protected by patents, so I wouldn't hold my breath if that's the case.

Last edited by KE4ZNR; 09-29-2013 at 1:35 PM.. Reason: edit out encryption discussion
Old 09-29-2013, 1:34 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Let me quote my earlier post again as it is apparent that
a few folks either have reading comprehension difficulties or
are just ignoring a forum moderators request:

http://forums.radioreference.com/2046713-post90.html

Quote:
Allright Folks let's please get this topic back on track.
Encryption has been debated to death and any further discussion
has nothing to do with the original thread topic.
It is an obvious fact that no commercially available receiver can or will be able
to decrypt encrypted radio comms. End of story.
Any further posts regarding encryption will be deleted.
Thanks for helping get this thread back on track.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR
This thread is not about encryption. Knock off the encryption discussion.
Thanks to those that have continued to keep this thread on topic.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR