BC 785D repair by Uniden service

Status
Not open for further replies.

lep

My 785D would not go into "remote mode" which prevented computer programming. I returned it to the Uniden service facility with payment for out-of-warranty repair. Just received it back, promptly and it now performs as it should. Yes it took a few days but since I have other scanners there was no problem. One minor point is that I returned it in the "original factory box" but it was sent back to me w/o my original box, just loose with bubble wrap in a brown box and no mention of how/why the original box was discarded.

Be that as it may, I can't seem to locate How to RESET the scanner and wipeout all programming in order to start afresh. I tried 2/6/9 and 2/Hold/9 which seem to work in some Uniden models.

Anyone know the secret code to RESET to default and let me start over? [yes, I still have the Uniden booklet but can't find the answer in the tiny print].

Thanks.

bear780ks

If in need of a Scanner Manual.. Look no Further

Hey Lep that's a Good return Time if there's ever Need to Look at the Online Manual for your 785D or for your Other Radio's I posted this from Marks Scanners it Covers Quite an Area for the new Models and Good share of the Old one's Two.. Ra

Mark's Scanners

SquierStrat

One minor point is that I returned it in the "original factory box" but it was sent back to me w/o my original box, just loose with bubble wrap in a brown box and no mention of how/why the original box was discarded.

I know how you feel. The exact same thing happened to me with a Gigabyte motherboard once, when i sent it out for a warranty repair.

bear780ks

I had a Look on the Site (( Product Repair - B2C Static Page at Uniden )) To see if it mentioned any wear on sending product in the Original Box and i didn't find anything on Uniden's site but i have seen before on different sites that to send stuff in for re-pair...

Send it in a Box other than what it came in if you want to keep the box Probably what happened the box got shredded as it was opened at the Facility. And since the unit is Not in production there only option was to send it back in a Plain brown box..

I'd venture to say it would even happen if a Customer sent in a 396 / 996xt or the Home Patrol model as well.. My boxes found a nice place set in there empty state - minus the radio :roll: they are packed & stored in my one cabinet. :p Ra

Last edited:

lep

Yes, I checked the Product repair page before sending the 785 in. I have (had) all my original boxes [ 785; 796; 996T, 996XT, 396T, two HP-1] stored in a spare room but dug out the 785 box, put the radio inside LESS cables, power supply and bracket. Then attached my payment and my letter of explanation. Off to my local UPS store to have them pack the whole thing in bubble wrap and one of their brown boxes.

In about 10 days I got my 785 back in another brown box and it appears to work okay which is the important point. I have the original manual (from the OLD days when Uniden actually provided paper booklets) but could not locate the reset procedure (the booklet is not well indexed IMHOP).

I have several PCs and an iPAD but am from a generation that is still more comfortable perusing Books.

Thank goodness a kind soul took pity and provided the proper key press sequence so it is now CLEAN and merely awaiting some free time for me to reinstall the USB driver for COM9 and get it going again.

The only electronics company that I know of with a better service policy is MFJ of Starkville, MS. They will repair any product they ever made. I had the privilege of a tour of their manufacturing and service facility several years ago. However since the latest Unidens are mostly made in Vietnam I don't think I will try to get a tour from them!

I will start marking my calendar as the days wind down to the magic date when the latest Uniden scanner(s) are revealed to we unwashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.