Home Patrol Reception & Charger Weird Prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlir

I'd be so grateful is anyone can solve this for me. When I use my Home Patrol on batteries and the stock antenna or a larger outdoor antenna I have, it works great. Reception is perfect. However, whenever I connect the a/c adapter I can literally see my signal strength drop by 3/4 or more sometimes. Unplug the adapter from either the wall side or at the HP and it returns to normal strength. I've tested this over and over, changed outlets, turned the plug around both at the outlet and the HP. Basically, I've done everything to test, shake and wiggle to find out why it does this. Nothing is loose, connections are fine. It's like the adapter is shorting out the reception of the antenna.

The only thing that I can think of that might be causing this is the AC adapter is an aftermarket charger I bought that I was told will work for the HP. Same voltage output 9W positive tip. Would this be causing it and I would need to get an OEM charger?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It is possible (likely) that the aftermarket adapter generates a lot of RF noise. This noise could cause the receiver's AGC circuit to activate (it automatically reduces the overall sensitivity in the presence of strong RF to protect the receiver circuitry).

(Sound familiar? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.