396XT/996XT APCO P25 Phase 2 Firmware Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

It was confirmed in today's Uniden's You Tube video presentation introducing the new 436 and 536 models that Uniden could have made an APCO P25 Phase 2 firmware upgrade to the 396XT but chose not to.

How about Uniden making that firmware upgrade now for the thousands of us who previously spent $500-$600 each for new 396XTs and 996XTs?

John

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Actually, that isn't what I said at all.

"We could have just put a larger processor in the BCD396XT and called it a day."

i.e. The current BCD396XT does not have the processing capability to handle Phase II and would require some redesign.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The new scanner has more power... Plus its more fun to make you wait and drool.....

cherubim

Well I certainly didn't hear anything of the sort from the presentation. It was confirmed some time ago that the BCD396XT/BCD996XT did not have the necessary hardware to decode TDMA.

vindictive42

Premium Subscriber
video

before you end up misinterpreting the video or UPMAN.......go watch the video 4 or 5 times...then speak......the only thing that confused me was these people in the video......Do any of these people live in Canada? Do they live in cities with less than 100.000 people? the only thing we know is their profession and they like scanners....thats it and uniden is basing their scanners on these people. I am now interested to see how whistler will top these before i dedicate $500+ bucks to a scanner. anyway thats my 2 cents...ummmm no pennies in Canada.....nickels worth.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Well I certainly didn't hear anything of the sort from the presentation. It was confirmed some time ago that the BCD396XT/BCD996XT did not have the necessary hardware to decode TDMA.

And with UPMan's response to the original poster and the above being accurate I am going to
go ahead and close this.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.