Bcd996xt will not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD996xt that does not turn on. Uniden wants a bunch of money to fix it but will not tell me what the problem is. If I knew what the problem was I could fix it. Any help please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
What's the most common. It's my buddies and his kid knocked it off the table and now it doesn't work. It does make a clicking sound when you try to turn it in

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Any number of things might have happened to the circuit board or components attached to it. Component broke off, PCB cracked, wire broke free, board shifted shorting something out.

Unless you have the expertise, schematics, and tools to diagnose you would be just shooting in the dark.

From the majority of what I have heard people are very satisfied with Uniden's flat rate repair program. They usually get the unit back with things done over and above what was actually broken.

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
Yeah they told him so price like $100 or something so he asked me if I could take a look at it. I do have the knowledge and tools and I'm sure I can get the schematics. I just don't have the scanner in front of me right now. He will be sending it in the mail soon so I'll take a look and see what's up. I just wasn't sure if there is known problems.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
What's the most common. It's my buddies and his kid knocked it off the table

In order for anyone to know what would be the most common problem after being knocked off a table, the act of a 996XT being knocked off of a table would, itself, have to be a very common thing..... which it's not.

As others have mentioned, Uniden repair service is your best bet by far.

Flat rate repair charge for the 996XT is only $49.50.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Schematics, you won't get, unless somebody has reverse engineered them or know somebody crooked who will violate an NDA.

I guess if you have the time it could be worth a shot, sometimes it's something simple to track down. I've never heard of any common failure mode from dropping a 996.

alwayslookin

Go with the flat repair rate it is well worth it for $50.00 to fix almost a $500.00 scanner. Upman and his team at Uniden are great!!! Just my 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.