New 996xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilhelm1234

Just received my new 996 . Unfortunately the cable that came with it is not a usb and is not compatible with my laptop.I must now program this manually. would like to do control channel search but instructions are a joke...help

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This article from our wiki has lots of links to just about everything you need. The links to the Easier to Read manuals are at the bottom of... (note that all text that's blue is a link)

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Most folks don't try to do manual programming (you're a brave one to try). Download Freescan (it's freeware), use your premium subscription to download data from the database and get a USB-serial cable to do the programming. Both topics are also linked in that article

DMA scanners are a completly different animal. Take your time - do only 1 system at a time, that way you won't be overwhelmed quite so easily. And ALWAYS backup before you make any changes.

HTH...Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

Wilhelm1234

I think I'll just wait until tomorrow and pick up a USB/serial port converter and program via Freescan.

Wilhelm1234

still struggling

After spending 40.00 for a serial/usb converter I have imported freqs. from freescan and uploaded them to scanner I have no idea if I did it right. The system shows up in the scanner and I have received some ems traffic. I cannot figure out how to access that system only . The scanner wants to scan everything from Alaska to Colorado...please help these instructions are a joke. Is there any phone support?

Wilhelm1234

I think it is working I am getting SOME of the channels I programmed mostly the close ones. Since I cant figure out how to lockout the worthless channels they have pre-programmed I have figured out how to delete them I am now in that lengthy process

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm not as familiar with FreeSCAN as I am ARC XT.

In looking at FreeSCAN it appears there is a button "Erase All Systems and Settings" in the "Send to Scanner" window that you can select which should first delete the unwanted systems, then upload only those you select.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I think it is working I am getting SOME of the channels I programmed mostly the close ones. Since I cant figure out how to lockout the worthless channels they have pre-programmed I have figured out how to delete them I am now in that lengthy process

If you don't want any of those pre-programmed frequencies, a factory reset will delete all of the pre-programmed frequencies in less than a minute.

Wilhelm1234

I got rid of them, now I have to figure out how to lockout some of the channels I imported. I don't want to hear them all the time

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You need to assign Quick Keys to your systems and talk groups. This will easily allow you to turn them on and off at the push of a button. Also in FreeScan before you upload to the scanner check the box which says "Erase All System all Settings". This will erase all the preprogrammed stuff you don't need.

Use this as a reference manual - http://marksscanners.com/996xt/996xt.shtml

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
In the Freescan grid having the channels, you should see a column "L/O" with checkboxes. Checking the box lockouts the channels. (Then you'll have to re-program the scanner to commit the changes to it).

When you are scanning, you can use the L/O button to lock undesired channels when the scanner stops on them. Pressing the L/O button once puts the channel in temporary lockout. Pressing the L/O puts a "permanent" lockout on the channel.

Temporary lockouts are "released" when the scanner is powered down. That means the temporarily locked out channels go back to being scanned when the scanner is powered back up.

"Permanent" lockouts remain locked out until you changed them to unlocked either via the keypad (or via computer re-programming).

Wilhelm1234

Finally

After 5 hours of intense trial & error I have successfully programmed my scanner and have a reasonable working knowledge of it and the software. I HAVE BY NO MEANS MASTERED IT!. I still occasionally get channels I thought I had locked out by programming, most of the time these channels display "Simulcast". Is simulcast an integral part of system or a back up? Will system work without it? Also I have assigned quick keys but have not had success using them (I still have to go into menu to activate/deactivate groups). Overall very satisfied with unit (other than instructions), much cleaner and crisper than old system. Also thanks to everyone on this site for help.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Willy..
In Freescan you can pick and choose which groups you want to import BEFORE you actually start the import process.. must easier not to import stuff that you don’t want in the 1st place instead of going back after and have to lock them out..

kirk23

After 5 hours of intense trial & error I have successfully programmed my scanner and have a reasonable working knowledge of it and the software. I HAVE BY NO MEANS MASTERED IT!. I still occasionally get channels I thought I had locked out by programming, most of the time these channels display "Simulcast". Is simulcast an integral part of system or a back up? Will system work without it? Also I have assigned quick keys but have not had success using them (I still have to go into menu to activate/deactivate groups). Overall very satisfied with unit (other than instructions), much cleaner and crisper than old system. Also thanks to everyone on this site for help.

Re QUICK KEYS...
Remember assign a different System # to each system..0-99
Then within each system you assign each GROUP their own GROUP QUICK KEY

Wilhelm1234

996xt

I only have one system installed . I usually only listen to 2 departments but want access to a few more on occasion so I installed most of the system. Since I only installed one system the only quick keys I need concern myself with are the 0-9 for the individual groups...correct? Also I have read postings about people missing radio traffic on P25. Is this a big problem? Is there any way to know if I am missing traffic? Also what exactly is the simulcast for?

kirk23

I only have one system installed . I usually only listen to 2 departments but want access to a few more on occasion so I installed most of the system. Since I only installed one system the only quick keys I need concern myself with are the 0-9 for the individual groups...correct? Also I have read postings about people missing radio traffic on P25. Is this a big problem? Is there any way to know if I am missing traffic? Also what exactly is the simulcast for?

You should get in the habit of always assigning a system # (System Quick Key) to EVERY system you install in your radio.. any system that does not have a System Quick Key assigned to it will be ALWAYS ON meaning you will be hearing it at all times. the purpose of system #'s are to control your systems so you know which systems are enabled and which aren't. if you don't give your system a Quick Key # from 0-99 it will default to the " . " (decimal point) which is a DEFAULT setting meaning ALWAYS ON.

as for simulcast.. means your system will rebroadcast all it's transmission over multiple tower locations at the same time. so when you set up your system you will add each tower site and their freqs as a seperate "SITE" within that System

Status
Not open for further replies.