536 Location Based Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think I've discovered something. Whether it is a good or bad thing, the jury is still out.

In Sentinel, using the Edit Profile, in going to the Location Settings Tab, it shows a current location, which is in Louisville KY. (I suspect it got this from after reading the scanner subsequent to my first power up and entered my zip code.)

I've created several Favorites Lists, some of which are set for Location Control. One of these is in Minnesota for travel up there.

After writing the Favorites Lists to the scanner, those Location Control Favorites Lists that are out of range of Louisville are not scanned. In other words the scanner is acting as if there is a GPS unit connected to the scanner without a GPS unit being actually attached.

Presuming it is what it is supposed to be doing, I can see the good thing being is that I'm not trying to scan something I'm too far away to hear. On the other hand if I want the scanner to scan these, just how the labels fit on the display, I'm not seeing them.

It also has led to the "Nothing to Scan" message even though the appropriate Quick Keys are turned on. So the bad thing is that some folks not realizing this "Location Scanning even though no GPS is connected" could be thrown for a loop. If nothing else, another additon to the list of things for seeing a "Nothing to Scan" might be in order.

Does this sound right and has anyone else noticed this?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The scanner is always going to have some location set. If you don't want a FL to pay attention to the set location, you can set it to not be location controlled. Otherwise, it is going to behave exactly as you describe (which is the proper operation). If the set location doesn't match your actual location, enter the zip code (or otherwise set) the scanner to your actual location.

phask

Premium Subscriber
It also will not turn on/off a complete favorite list. It may turnoff everything within the FL, but not the FL itself.

You must create / check the FL as location enabled for the above to work.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
The scanner is always going to have some location set. If you don't want a FL to pay attention to the set location, you can set it to not be location controlled. Otherwise, it is going to behave exactly as you describe (which is the proper operation). If the set location doesn't match your actual location, enter the zip code (or otherwise set) the scanner to your actual location.

Paul:
You just missed a good chance for positive advertisement!

This feature is designed to be used with zip code programming from full database, AND when using a GPS as you travel. By selecting which service groups you want to monitor (PD Disp/ Fire Talk/ etc) and selecting the full database and/or pre-programmed favorites lists, the radio will use the GPS to turn on or off groups by using the pre-programmed location data and your selected range (which resets to zero when the GPS connects, as it should). I once took a trip from DC to Maine and never had to touch the radio as I went hooked to my (very) old Garmin 12XL GPS. Listened to local & state PD, Fire/EMS and trains the entire trip!

The only suggestion Uniden didn't listen to me on was to add an external power connector for the Uniden GPS puck so you didn't need 2 cig lighter plugs for powering the radio and GPS.

JK
;)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad this is present. It gives me the opportunity to simulate being in an area I've programmed Favorites List. That gives me a greater comfort level knowing that GPS settings are correct for when the time comes for me to travel. (Obviously I'm not hearing anything, but the "things" (Sites/Departments) come on as I hoped they would.)

Sort of a "preview" for what will happen.

Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.