Repair LED light on BC895XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
Hello all...

After unpacking my BC895XLT from a move to a different apartment across the parking lot, the backlight on the scanner is not working. I have not been able to make it light up so I don't know what the problem is. Does anyone know how to fix this and what parts I need? I don't want to send it to Uniden if I can help it. Thanks!

Brandon

basprog

Hopefully nothing's wrong. When moving it, have you maybe accidentally held the DIM/ATT button in for a few seconds causing the display to turn off the backlight?

..running and ducking if this was too obvious... :)

wesct

DMBFireman said:
Hello all...

After unpacking my BC895XLT from a move to a different apartment across the parking lot, the backlight on the scanner is not working. I have not been able to make it light up so I don't know what the problem is. Does anyone know how to fix this and what parts I need? I don't want to send it to Uniden if I can help it. Thanks!

Brandon

you could try resetting the radio before taking it apart.

wesct

Tom_G

My 895 did the same thing

Brandon,
My 895 did the same thing.
I don't think I had tried a reset on mine, but I'll give that a shot.
What I did find way that the lamps themselves are 272-1092 microlamps.
Let us know if the reset works for you.... Tom/G

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
tried the reset with Man 2, 9, before turning back on and the scanner reset but the light is still off. I had already checked the dimmer switch with does dim my green chan LED but doesn't do anything to the orange LCD display. I guess it needs to be replaced and it's very hard to see the display right now with no backlight. Thanks for the suggestions but so far no success...

Brandon

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The display backlight consists of four incandescent lamps with orange
sleeves on the bulbs. Uniden sells the lamps with sleeves for $1.35 each,
part # BPZY0036001. To order parts call Uniden at 1-800-554-3988.

The Radio Shack 272-1092 will fit but they are 12 volt lamps and the originals are 8 volts. The display will be dim at best with the Radio Shack lamps.

K8PBX

Just a thought...

As an alternative to the lamps, you might consider using ultra-bright 3.4v LED's with a 330 Ohm dropping resistor. They'll last a lot longer than lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.