BC780XLT Volume Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
I've got a BC780XLT with the loud volume problem that I'm sure has been discussed on this board before. I can set the volume control at whatever level and without warning the volume increases to the maximum level. When this happens the volume control does not work. The only way I've found to "correct" this is the bang on the radio. Then it will return to the previously set level and everything works great.

I seem to remember that it was a grounding problem or something with the volume control switch. Someone had come up with a fix for this issue. Doing a search of the forums did not turn up anything.

Can someone recall what could be done to fix this and how to do it? It is very frustrating to say the least. It happened this morning to me after three months of no problems. So now it is time to do something about it!!

Thank you ahead of time.

gr8amp

Unplug and re-seat the connector shown in the photo below. These are known to become intermittant. The two outermost terminals of this connector are ground, when these disconnect you loose control over the volume. If everything checks out ok on this end (no cold solder joints on the main board, and re-seating the connector doesnt help) then you need to check out the vol/squelch board for broken solder joints.

DSC02107.jpg

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
As a followup, it appears that this worked on my BC780XLT with the volume issue.

Thank you to "gr8amp" for the instructions with pictures!!!

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
That is a SERIOUSLY nice case of helping out, gr8amp! I've fortunately not had
that problem with my beloved 780, but should I ever, that pic will help out better
than 1000 words!!

Terrific people on this board!!

Status
Not open for further replies.