Elkhart Indiana Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilstuff2

I have had an old Uniden Scanner for over 30 years that has worked wonderfully. It was easily programmable and even though it only held 10 analog channels, I never had any problems getting traffic from the frequencies I wanted.

Recently, the city in our area that has the most activity has gone digital. I have heard that most of our county will follow suit someday soon. So, I bit the bullit and bought a Uniden BCD996T. I had it pre-programmed since I was sure it would be too complicated for me. My problem is that all the analog frequencies come across fine. But, the city that has gone digital gets no traffic on it. Every once in a while, it will stop on one of the city's channels and I will hear some white noise or maybe a part of a word here or there, but that's it. Is there anyone out there that is from my area who can maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong or if the frequencies are purposely unattainable?

I would appreciate any information I can get from anyone. Thank you in advance.

garys

Premium Subscriber
You may want to try posting in the Indiana forum. Someone there might be able to help you out. Also, try to give more specifics about which department you are trying to listen to.

Gary

Viper43

Sounds like :

System is set wrong, look and see if it is set to P25, if it is set it to Motorola TypeII 800mhz and it will work fine. The system is P25 but it's 3600b and not 9600 so it can't be set to P25.
Or the system is encrypted but I highly doubt it. I'll be up that way next month so I'll find out. I'm heading to Nappanee to see some old friends..... Go Black Crunch! :)

BTW, for Indiana specific questions look in the Indiana section. This is a Uniden issue not an Indiana question.

V

lilstuff2

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm still as confused as ever. Where do I find the Indiana section? I also can't figure out how to turn off the TV broadcasting. I try to lock it out, even temporarily. It completely over powers all the channels.

If you find out that Elkhart County, specifically Elkhart City is encrypted let me know. That's the only reason I bought this scanner. I have heard rumors that it is but need to know for sure from someone who understands these things. If I can't get Elkhart City, I am sending the scanner back. My very old anaolog BC 140 works way better than this Uniden BCd996T, even on the analog frequencies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Scroll down the forums list until you get to the individual states, you can't miss it. You'll still probably find more specific answers for Elkhart there.

You're going to want to get programming software so you can program the scanner yourself. It will be well worth the time and money spent to learn how to program the scanner. That would include turning on the various "Screens" for pagers, TV, FM broadcast, and so on.

Gary

Viper43

The Indiana section is HERE: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

and the Indiana Database is HERE: http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&stid=18

Did you by chance set up the Indiana Elkhart Co SAFET system yet? if not, do it as I picked up Elkhart city fire and PD on it, not sure if it was simulcast or not, but it did cme through. And this past summer I got Elkhart fire on the VHF frequencies on my V82 portable way down here in my back yard. They had a working fire at around 1am and I was picking up all sides of the talk, even truck to truck and portables. It was a good night for skip, but still you should get them OK.
Another question though, are you just using the stock anttenna? And where is the scanner? Does the house/building have metal siding? These could all help figure things out.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.